New
Find
Notify
Tools

TV technology assistance?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any links, sites etc that will educate me on LCD vs Plasma, 1080 vs 720, i vs p etc?
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mac! I actually subscribe to CNET in the sense that I get weekly emails from them. Just never been to that web site!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Peter,

I have just gone through this, so the following might be of help.

LCD is more expensive than plasma for teh same size panel.

LCD is brighter than plasma.
Plasma can be viewed from different angles without a problem. LCD is better viewd from straight ahead.

There are several HD specs, the best is 1080P.

1080P is what is classified as FULL HD.
Next in line is 1080i - the i stands for interlaced. P is for progressive.

What this means is that P shows you all the frames. i interlaces some frames to make up for what it cannot.

720p and 720i are the lesser versions of the above.

Resolution are 1440x720 - both i or p
1920x1080 i and p.

My suggestion is to buy the largest panel you can afford and fits in your room.
I prefer the extra brightness of the LCD. But plasma looks almost as good as you get used to it.

We have both. And as mentioned above, I prefer the extra brightness of the LCD. But prefer the much wider viewing angle of the plasma when sitting not straight in front of it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66677 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Saeed. That, non technical advice, is also important. Prices sre coming down quite rapidly, with the bigger drops on the larger screen sizes.
Peter.