New
Find
Notify
Tools

TV technology
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What should I be looking for/avoiding in a new TV? I posted this question 2 years ago and I am sure a lot has changed. There is plasma, LCD, LED etc. Looking for around a 40". Don't need 3D!
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Peter,

We have both a plasma and a LCD.

Both are good, but they do have their differences.

I have no experience with LED screens, but have seen them in the shops.

For a 40 incher, you are almost certainly going to have to pick an LCD or an LED model, because I think plasla tend to be bigger.

My suggestion is you pick the biggest screen you can accomodate, as 40 inch tends to be on the small size right now.

Of course, if your videwing room can only accomodate that, then that is different.

Plasma have teh advantage of having a much wider viewing angle. But they tend to be less bright than an LCD screen.

My suggestion is to go and have a look at both, and pick the one that looks good to you.

Forget all the past claims of one being better for sports for instance than the other.

They are both very good now.

Bear in mind that you should pick one that support FULL HD 1080P. Also, you might consider having one with more than one HDMI input, as all futute HD sources will have to be connected via an HDMI.

I hope this helps you making a decision.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66901 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Saeed. The problem with looking in the store is that, from what I hear, they always adjust the more expensive models to look really good and don't do the same with the less expensive models, so, obviously the more expensive TVs will look better!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Two things about buying technology:

1. Don't make decision too quickly.

Regardless of the technology you are considering, you need to take time to understand it unless you buy it fairly frequently. This is true whether we are talking computers, cameras, or audio visual equipment like TVs or projectors.

I haven't bought a new computer or camera in five years, so I just don't know whats out there.

2. Remember that technology may continue to provide value for many years.

So buy for the long term. Spending a little more now may pay dividends in the future. I've found for example that buying pro-level camera equipment means that it will last longer because it tends to be made of better materials and is designed to take abuse.

TVs are the same. Buying a bigger screen means higher cost now but when viewed in the long term may mean a more satisfying viewing experience over the 10 to 20 year life of the device.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I just purchased one of each recently (LCD and Plasma) and I'm happy with both. Panasonic has focused a lot of R&D on plasma and have eliminated a lot of the earlier issues like high heat discharge and whatnot.

Several companies make outstanding LCD TVs. My only issue with the cheaper LCD TVs is I've had two whose backlights failed, making the screen unviewable. The fix is more than a new TV.
Stay away from 60HZ LCD TVs (cheapest) and go at least 120HZ. I think they charge too much for 240HZ right now because its the new greatest thing they can use to justify an upcharge. They'll drop in price as soon as they find a new better thingy to overprice.

I see that 3D is now a sort of standard thing in a lot of classes of TV whether you want it or not. It sucks no matter how much you pay. One day soon they'll release a new 3D technology to have that next "thingy".

About the best advice I ever took from a techie was to have a proffesional come out after a couple of months of operation to do full tune-up on the TV. It made a big difference in picture quality.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One day soon they'll release a new 3D technology to have that next "thingy"

Don't hold your breath ... until you can adjust your eyes to a standard distance apart, focal length and convergence, stereo TV or Cinema will not work well for everyone.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
A week ago I bought the latest technology in Smart TV's, a Samsung 46" LED series 8000 (actually an immense Smart phone, linked to internet, with vocal and gesture control, integrated camera, 3-D, etc., etc.). Gadgets left aside, the image quality is bluffing and I was really impressed with the 3-D quality, it works (the TV comes with 2, button-battery powered and cordless, liquid crystal spectacles).

As already suggested, don't buy too quickly and certainly not before having had a look at the different offerings.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even though an old topic I'll throw in a few data points for consideration

a) as of 2014 there are currently Plasma and LCD/LED

I Say LCD/LED because TV's advertised as "LED" are still LCD screens.

What is different from older LCD models is that he older models had florescent back lighting to illuminate the LCD display

The newer models are LED backlighting (FAR more reliable than the older Florescent lights)

While there is something called OMLED which is used on some cellphone displays this technology seems "unripe" at the current time.

Plasma TV's tend to be not as bright (this is how they gain their "Blacker Blacks") and tend to be power hogs.

the other thing is resolution, minimum is 1920x1080

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I just bought a 50" Samsung LED smart tv (UN50F6300). I have a small living room and from 10 ft a 50" is too big. I usually watch from the dining room 15+ ft away and that is fine.

SAMSUNG is giving a lobotomy to their smart tv so be aware that Hulu, netflix and amazon apps. may not be avail on them even thought they have a web browser option.

Like everyone said. do your research.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote