New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to buy an iMac?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am a bit challenged technically but am going to buy an iMac. Where and how is the best place to buy one?
Thanks!

Posts: 10086 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I use the 27" iMac with all the bells and whistles. If you have an Apple Store in the area, go there as they are the pros. If not, try Best Buy.Last resort is the Apple website. I would also buy the Apple teaching program if an Apple Store is handy and unless you are already familiar withe the OS or iOS operating system.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13100 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jdollar, just what I needed!

dancing

Posts: 10086 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I use an older 27" iMac myself. I bought it through the Apple web site, because at the Apple store they didn't have one in stock with the configuration I wanted. Like good sales people everywhere, they wanted to sell me something they had in stock.

Anyway, my only advice is to buy the fastest processor, the most amount of RAM, the fastest hard drive (SSD) and the best video/graphic card your budget will allow. That is what I did those few years ago and it's a good thing I did, since my storage needs skyrocketed when I went to a 36MP camera and the software I use now really needs lots of RAM and a fast CPU. My old iMac is slower than what could be bought now, but it soldiers on.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
All of Wink's advice is good stuff. I added 12 gigs of RAM to the system and it is cheap and quite easy to do yourself. Definitely get the fastest i7 processor available.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13100 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
My 21-inch iMac has been going strong for about six years now. That said, I will look at refurbished machines if I have to replace it.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16295 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I had a MacBook that was several years old. It had a traditional HD. I replaced the HD with an SSD and changed the RAM to max it out. It went from an Impala to a Corvette in terms of performance. Sometimes just upgrading existing equipment is the best bang for the buck.

Mike

Posts: 21076 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote