Find
Notify
Tools

Alternative Web Browsers/Ad Reducing Browsers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Anyone using one of the alternative web browsers that reduce or eliminate ads? Seems like Google, Bing, Internet Explorer, MS Edge, Firefox, etc. all run at a snail's pace these days with all the ads and autoplay videos and the like. I have tried Brave and Opera. Brave seems a bit quirky on some things like email attachments. So far Opera runs very nice. I have not noticed anything particularly odd in its operation and it greatly speeds up the experience when using sites loaded with ads like MSN, Yahoo, many newspapers. Curious if anyone has experimented with Brave, Opera or another similar browser and what the experience has been like.

Mike

Posts: 21080 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine built a Raspberry Pi, and it's amazing. It's a home-built network device that filters DNS searches from sites providing ads. Basically, when you navigate to a site, wherever the ads used to be, there are blank spaces. I think something like this is the only way to roll nowadays. Trick is that it takes some technical (not much) knowledge. You built the device (about 75$ worth of parts off Amazon, then download the firmware code, install via micro SD, and plug into your network (back of your internet or wifi router), and let it do its magic. I'll be building one when I get back over to his house again. It's an open code, so you can run it through any malware-detecting programs out there.

What is revelatory is to watch the telemetry and see just how many searches the website, cookies, et al., do while you aren't even doing anything. In other words, while you are reading a page, your computer is sending hundreds of searches, pre-fetching information to show you. This is why you can google something, then go to a different webpage, and all the sudden the item you just searched for is being presented to you for sale.

In any case, if you can find a network admin amongst your friends (or if you're willing to dabble in the dark side), have a look.

I don't like/trust add-on software at all. With the Pi, everything happens in the box. So far, I think they say they filter 100,000+ sites. I'll let you know how my build goes when I do it.

Good luck

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Sounds interesting . . . well beyond my capabilities.

I use newspaper sites like the Houston Chronicle site (www.chron.com) to test these browsers. The newspaper sites are generally so loaded with ads and other crap opening links takes forever. Using Opera to access the Chronicle site I was surprised at how much faster you were able to navigate the site. Certainly helps over the browsers that seem to love ads and add on applications like AdBlock.

Mike

Posts: 21080 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I use a plug-in called AdBlock. It's free and works great. For example, I just went to CNN.com and I can see it's blocking 22 ads on their home page.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Google Chrome and AdBlock, however, more and more sites are requiring you to turn off AdBlock before viewing.

In short, you can't win...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I occasionally get a site that has a popup saying they see I'm blocking ads and that they need the revenue. I just close that and continue.

Rarely, I go to a site and the popup says I must disable the ad blocking to view the site and there is no way to close the popup box. Most of the time I have that happen I reload the page an then quickly click the X in the menu to stop loading the page. That usually prevents the page for launching the popup.

Very rarely, I go to a page and there is nothing I can do to view it without disabling AdBlock. Depending on the page I just leave or I will click the AdBlock icon and choose either "Pause AdBlock" or "Don't run AdBlock on this Page". It depends on the website, if I trust them, and how much I want to see the page. But I am in control of it and that's what matters.

Here's something interesting - AdBlock always blocks one add on all the pages of AR.

It blocks the script located at "http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js".

I do not know if Saeed is loading any ads with that Javascript, if it is telling Google not to include AR pages in searches, or if it is just to keep track of traffic and logging where it came from. Nevertheless, with AdBlock turned on my browser never loads that script.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I use Ghostery plugin to firefox. it will block most Analytics and Ads etc.

I was floored when I went on 24hr campfire forum page. it blocks about 30 sites.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
A friend of mine built a Raspberry Pi, and it's amazing. It's a home-built network device that filters DNS searches from sites providing ads. Basically, when you navigate to a site, wherever the ads used to be, there are blank spaces. I think something like this is the only way to roll nowadays. Trick is that it takes some technical (not much) knowledge. You built the device (about 75$ worth of parts off Amazon, then download the firmware code, install via micro SD, and plug into your network (back of your internet or wifi router), and let it do its magic. I'll be building one when I get back over to his house again. It's an open code, so you can run it through any malware-detecting programs out there.

What is revelatory is to watch the telemetry and see just how many searches the website, cookies, et al., do while you aren't even doing anything. In other words, while you are reading a page, your computer is sending hundreds of searches, pre-fetching information to show you. This is why you can google something, then go to a different webpage, and all the sudden the item you just searched for is being presented to you for sale.

In any case, if you can find a network admin amongst your friends (or if you're willing to dabble in the dark side), have a look.

I don't like/trust add-on software at all. With the Pi, everything happens in the box. So far, I think they say they filter 100,000+ sites. I'll let you know how my build goes when I do it.

Good luck

This sounds very interesting Baxter, is there a particular web term for this that I can search for this device? I live in the boonies and DSL here is slow as molasses, something like this might be a great help.

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7756 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
I use Ghostery plugin to firefox. it will block most Analytics and Ads etc.

I was floored when I went on 24hr campfire forum page. it blocks about 30 sites.

+1 on Ghostery.

Downloaded after reading your comments. It's doing an absolutely GREAT job of allowing me to enjoy web sites, especially on-line news content.

I elected NOT to block any content which is REQUIRED & ESSENTIAL for web site function. Other than that, it's gone.

The 'Ghostery' icon appears in your toolbar and offers you personal control of your function selections and the ability to change and/or temporarily 'Pause' them.

Thanks!

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I use Adblock Plus for blocking adds and Anti-Adblock Killer for killing detection of Adblock on some sites. Maybe, in future, there will be some Anti-Anti-Adblock Killer Killer Big Grin

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to Opera. Lots of sites whine about it, and I send them an email saying that if they hadn't abused my bandwidth in the first place, I'd probably never looked for an ad-blocker.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14328 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
"uBlock origin" is now better plugin.

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
the other plug-in is Blocksite but you have to manually enter the sights you want blocked. I don't have here on my laptop, i'll update info next week. I used the sites that malware bytes listed when I ran it

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
These are the sites I block in BlockSite addon for Firefox

*casalmedia*
*mysearchdial*
*weborama*
*mediaplex*
*tribal*
*quantserv*
*serving.sys*
*advertising*
*insight*
*bizrate*
*revsci*
*doubleclick*
*livejasmin*

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have no adds whatsoever allowed on AR.

COmmercial websites - especially news, are horrible with pop ups.

It got to the stage where I avoid those with excessive pop ups.

Worse offenders are google adds!

I honestly wish that company goes down the drain, and whilecat it take Facebook too.

Both WhatsApp and Instagram were great before Bloody Facebook bought them.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66735 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
I have to hand it to Saeed for putting together a fantastic website!!! I love this place. But to the original poster, I use Ad Blocker. I believe it costs about $30 per year and it works on Internet explorer, google chrome, and micosoft edge for sure! Worth every penny! I love it!

Here is the linK: https://getadblock.com/en/

Posts: 592 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote