New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer / Router / Adapter Problems??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got everything up and running with our 2 new desktops, but there is an issue I'm having with the adapter on my wife's computer. I thought it was a loose connection, but that isn't it. My computer is hard lined right into the Cable Modem / Router. Hers is in the other room, and is a wireless connection via Netgear N+ Router and wireless adapter that plugs into her USB port.

The problem is when she turns the computer on and it boots up, it will not connect to the Internet. All I have to do is unplug the adapter, then plug it in again, and it works fine for as long as the computer is left on. It is as if something happens when the computer shuts down? I tried a different USB port and that didn't help either. The Router and adapter are both Netgear, and when they work, they work beautifully. Also the Router is on 24 / 7. My Toshiba laptop also has a wireless card built in and it has the same issues until the adapter is unplugged, then plugged in again, so it is definitely the adapter. Any ideas? I'm no good at troubleshooting these things. Thanks, Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If I understand you correctly, the adapter does not work if it is plugged in before the laptop boots up, but it will work if it is plugged in after the laptop has been booted. Is that correct?

Do you have the latest driver for the adapter?
You can check Netgear's download page to see whether there is a newer driver available. if so, download and install it.

Plug the adapter into the laptop, and boot the laptop. Assuming you're running some flavor of Windows, what does the device manager show for the wireless adapter when the laptop(s) have just started up?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What happens is this. As soon as I start the computer the adapter comes on. It has 2 LED lights, a blue and an amber that come on right away. They will remain on until I type in the password for the computer and the start page comes up. Then the adapter will shut off. All I have to do at that point is unplug it, and plug it in again and it comes on and works perfectly until shut down.

I called Netgear, and went on a Netgear forum and found out I'm not the only one having this issue with this model adapter. It appears that Netgear has released this model adapter without the driver properly configured for Windows 7. They are supposedly working on a fix that I'm assuming will involve some sort of corrected, downloadable driver. Until then I'll just have to live with it. I'm going to Radio Shack today to get some type of switch so I don't have to keep constantly unplugging and replugging it in.

Once this thing is up and running it works beautifully. The Internet just flies, so I don't want to replace it with something that might, or might not work as well. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well, at least they're working on a solution.

Until it's available, just wait until the OS is up before plugging in the adapter.

Geroge

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from Radio Shack. I bought a switch so that I could turn it on and off. It doesn't work, so it's going back. I should have just had the cable company come in and run another hard line, and screw all of this wireless crap. It's all turned out to be a more expensive, bigger headache that doesn't even work properly. Bill T.