Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Jack Tramiel
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted
Founder of Commodore and my business mentor (I was VP and Treasurer and also VP Strategic Planning for Commodore in the middle 1980s).

Frowner

Don

Posts: 26535 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first computer was a C-64. What a fun machine. We had to do everything and it was a wonderful learning tool. My first word processor was keyed in by hand in machine language from an article in a magazine and saved to cassette tape. I followed with a C-128 that I programmed to do the cell count on my bone marrow biopsies and help generate a report. All written in Commodore Basic. I wish it still worked. I really wanted an Amiga but Commodore had lost its edge and that wonderful machine disappeared.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first computer was a digital PDP-8M.... Damned thing was the size of a full size referigerator....

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well my first was really FADAC - Field Artillery Digital Automatic Computer - a stripped down and hardened, "portable" PDP-10. Weighed about 200lbs and required a 5 kw generator. The program was loaded from punch tape and input was from a keys around the display. No keyboard. It was "hot stuff" in 1967. It was also a pain to keep working in the field and we tended to conduct fire missions with the slide rules and firing tables. Looked impressive though.

Wish my C-64s and C-128 still worked.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote