New
Find
Notify
Tools

My machine is messed up...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got a pop-up last night telling me that Firefox has an update ready to slam onto my computer. It keeps trying to put it on, but a small window comes up telling mt that the existing platform (assumably the iteration of Firefox that is on my machine now) is incompatible with the update. I am locked out of Firefox, and can't get to my 100-plus Bookmarks. I have tried Chrome from Google a bit this morning, but I don't care for it. I'm using IE7 to type this.

How do I get to my Bookmarks to transfer them to IE7 if I can't launch Firefox?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Restore Point to go back several days, then worked around the problem until I have access to Firefox once again. I have saved my Bookmarks into a folder on my Desktop. A copy of this folder has gone onto my storage drive. Firefox is out the window as soon as I figure out where it is on my primary drive. It seems to be very well hidden...

To all reading this, I strongly suggest you get rid of Firefox as your browser. I have had my system corrupted by updates in the past, one so badly that I was no longer able to get into Control Panel. I ended up building a new machine (this one) for $2600. Trash Firefox NOW! And Chrome ain't that good, either...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny I've been using an AMD dual 64 with Vista for a while. Always using Firefox3.
The only time it's got stuck was when I accidentally opened Explorer.
I first ran Ubuntu and Firefox but couldn't easily get enough drivers, but it worked real well.
Vista runs old stuff OK as well as 64bit.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Firefox updated to 3.02 and works even better I think. Before you could see a bit of scanning sort of as screens changed, now I think it's smother. Could just be an impression as I'm watching it closely?

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to use firefox, but dont really see the point anymore, IE is just as good.

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The point is Microcrap, have wasted weeks of my life with garbage software.

So if I can avoid the rubbish they release I will.
If Linux was better supported for 64bit that's what I'd be using.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote