Notify
Tools

Ubuntu
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just got a new computer sorted.
With an AMD 64 processor.
From starting to Load up Ubuntu to back on the web was under 90 min.
Most everything works already and I haven't loaded up any drivers or anything.
Poxy Windows wouldn't even have finished initializing by now.
So far it's HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. clap

Well a few hours later, I find there are just not enough drivers to get all my stuff working.
So looks like I'll have to get some form of Windows ... Bah Humbug. Frowner

So I got Vista sp1 but I made my girlfriend push the button to kill off Ubuntu and load Vista.

It only took 4 or so hours to get it going, better than I've found with XP.
And all my stuff works, but most of my peripherals are quite new so had Vista drivers already.
The only hassle so far is it forgetting the USB keyboard when you switch users.

I did notice that even though this Vista disk can only be a few weeks old, it has loaded a bunch of updates already. So I guess nothing has changed at Microsoft, still releasing unfinished software.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I begin tinkering with Ubuntu on a backup computer, I want to discover it.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Often, support for the newest hardware can lag on non-Windows platforms while drivers are written. I'd try again with the next release when it comes out.

My Linux laptop is an IBM Thinkpad, and Fedora 10 "just works" on it, but the hardware is a few years old and drivers have been developed and stabilized.

NRA Life Member
testa virtus magna minimum

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I begin tinkering with Ubuntu on a backup computer, I want to discover it.

Linux (of any flavor) is great if you want to build up your own "dream environment", but not great as a "normal consumer" setup for gaming and such.

Still, it's great to learn something other than Windows.

NRA Life Member
testa virtus magna minimum

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
I've experimented with Ubuntu just a little. Enough that I think when my wife finally upgrades to a new laptop I'm making her old one the Ubuntu machine Smiler

I've heard that WINE (Windows Emulators are much better now) I've got a friend who managed to get Photoshop working on a Ubuntu machine. I was impressed.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote