New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windows XP installs...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had to buy a copy of Windows XP and have it installed over the existing install in a machine I no longer use. I still have the copy. I am wondering if M'soft has somewhere put a bug into the code that only allows you to install the OS three times or something. Anybody ever heard anything like this?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Not that I know of.

They would require you to activate it, that is all.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66698 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They would require you to activate it, that is all.

I do not remember if I called them when I got the disks or not. I did have to give them some long-ass number before they would ship me a new disk but as far activating it, I just don't remember. It's been a bit over two years since then...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It will install on another computer fine. But, it'll get kicked back when you try to activate it. It happened to me. I guess Bill Gates isn't rich enough already.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But, it'll get kicked back when you try to activate it.

Please explain...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
(just a layman), but maybe this will answer you.

Windows XP Product Activation
How Microsoft's new licensing program works.
Microsoft's Product Activation feature, included in the new Windows XP operating system, is the company's latest attempt to fight software piracy. Microsoft says it wants to eliminate what it calls the "casual copying" of Windows.
To ensure that no more than one computer uses a single XP license, Microsoft has taken some extra steps. When you install XP, you will be asked to activate the operating system. If you do not, you still will be able to use Windows XP, but only for a limited number of days. When that time expires without the operating system having been activated, you will no longer be able to function from within the OS until it has been activated.
Click here for more.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends. If it is a installation disk you can install anywhere as long as you have the reg codes.

If it is a recovery disk it may not install on a different make of computer. Also if it is a recovery disk unless you are installing on the same make ore model you will have problems with controllers and drivers for peripherals.

As long as it is a valid copy you should have no problem activating it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got my computer back today with new, fresh and empty hard drives, save for Windows XP on one of the two drives. Now I am wondering how I can get my NOD-32 anti-virus on without hooking up to the internet. I saved the code on a thumbdrive before I sent the machine off for repairs. Can I get those numbers or whatever off that thumbdrive and enter them somewhere to get NOD on before I get back on the web with the clean drives? Anybody know anything about this?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
I had to buy a copy of Windows XP and have it installed over the existing install in a machine I no longer use. I still have the copy. I am wondering if M'soft has somewhere put a bug into the code that only allows you to install the OS three times or something. Anybody ever heard anything like this?

I think there is a limit on hardware-change activations, past three of them you have to call Microsoft. You'll get a guy in India and most likely he'll give you another activation after you read him some numbers off your screen that only mean something to Microsoft.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14327 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote