Find
Notify
Tools

Falconry season 2020!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of UtahLefty
posted
It's been a slow slog for rabbits this year - we've only managed to get about 20 of them.

In addition to the HAHA sisters, we've been flying this female ferruginous hawk for two seasons now - she's small for a female but no less feisty!

-UtahLefty

Posts: 91 | Location: Northern Utah | Registered: 25 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Beautiful birds! Looks like a hen pheasant that the one has caught. Can you catch game birds with them?

One of Us
Picture of UtahLefty
posted Hide Post
We've killed about two dozen pheasants over the years with a smattering of quail and chukars but game birds are more suited to falcons than hawks. Our kills have been mostly opportunistic while after ground game.

-UtahLefty

Posts: 91 | Location: Northern Utah | Registered: 25 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wish you were closer, something I would like to experience.

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Wonderful pictures and congrats on the season. Falconry is something very special !

Thanks for sharing.

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2251 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I know nothing of falconry in America.

I had a European Buzzard (like a red tailed hawk) when I lived in Italy. She was clumsy, but was hell on rabbits. I agree that hawks aren't the best suited birds for game birds.

She had something wrong with her vision and ended up smacking into a truck.

I can't remember, but I gave about $600 for her as a started 3 year old.

Living in Sicily, I wanted to get her mounted when she died, and I had her in the deep freeze for the last year I was there but couldn't figure out how to get it done.

I paid about $800 for a week long falconry course in the UK in 2006.

If we end up moving back to Germany I think I am going to go back and take a falconry course in Germany, especially if we end up with a house that would work for that.

A friend in Rheinland Pfalz had eagles!

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One year in Farson WY, we met a falconer who'd come from Philadelphia with his dogs and birds.
He told us he came two weeks before the season opened to condition the dogs and birds to the altitude.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14328 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote