The Accurate Reloading Forums
Falconry season 2020!

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6721043/m/7611033362

14 December 2020, 21:28
UtahLefty
Falconry season 2020!
It's been a slow slog for rabbits this year - we've only managed to get about 20 of them.

In addition to the HAHA sisters, we've been flying this female ferruginous hawk for two seasons now - she's small for a female but no less feisty!

-UtahLefty
30 December 2020, 09:47
Use Enough Gun
Beautiful birds! Looks like a hen pheasant that the one has caught. Can you catch game birds with them?
01 January 2021, 23:20
UtahLefty
We've killed about two dozen pheasants over the years with a smattering of quail and chukars but game birds are more suited to falcons than hawks. Our kills have been mostly opportunistic while after ground game.

-UtahLefty
29 January 2021, 15:09
Johnny reb
Wish you were closer, something I would like to experience.
11 February 2021, 11:46
Charlie64

Wonderful pictures and congrats on the season. Falconry is something very special !

Thanks for sharing.

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"
29 April 2021, 19:23
Big Wonderful Wyoming
I know nothing of falconry in America.

I had a European Buzzard (like a red tailed hawk) when I lived in Italy. She was clumsy, but was hell on rabbits. I agree that hawks aren't the best suited birds for game birds.

She had something wrong with her vision and ended up smacking into a truck.

I can't remember, but I gave about $600 for her as a started 3 year old.

Living in Sicily, I wanted to get her mounted when she died, and I had her in the deep freeze for the last year I was there but couldn't figure out how to get it done.

I paid about $800 for a week long falconry course in the UK in 2006.

If we end up moving back to Germany I think I am going to go back and take a falconry course in Germany, especially if we end up with a house that would work for that.

A friend in Rheinland Pfalz had eagles!
02 June 2021, 22:29
TomP
One year in Farson WY, we met a falconer who'd come from Philadelphia with his dogs and birds.
He told us he came two weeks before the season opened to condition the dogs and birds to the altitude.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)