New
Find
Notify
Tools

A new find for me - Raven.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had always assumed that here on the Upper Delaware River , that the Raven wasn't found here but would be found in the northern part of the state.
After having Ravens mentioned to me I looked around .After memorizing Raven vs Crow ID I kept looking and right next to my home I saw them. Years back they had disappeared for along time but have been coming back. This morning's sighting was the clincher - rising sun catching the iridescence of a Raven. Probably the same pair I've seen recently !
Even when you're old you can learn stuff ! wave
I would certainly like to see an Eastern Golden Eagle here but the migration path is just to the west. We've always had the Bald Eagle here.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Do you know how to tell the difference between a raven and a crow?

If it is dead laying on the snow, it is a crow.

If it is flying in the sky it is a raven.

Probably doesn't work in North America where ravens are protected.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ravens are very important in the culture of the First Nations people of the Pacific Northwest, western Canada and Alaska. I was fortunate to buy a beautiful raven carving done by a Haida artist at the museum in Campbell River, British Columbia.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
They should be controlled within reason. The Mojave Desert is one of those places that has too many ravens.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of them here in Northern Wisconsin. I see them daily.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid we had a pet raven. We hand raised it from a fledgling, never caged it. It slept in the garage at night and during the day it was free to roam, which caused a few problems in the 'hood. It was the smartest bird I have ever seen. Certainly they must be in there with the parrots. It would come when called and land on your shoulder. Of course now I wouldn't think of hunting them. Lots of them here in Colorado, fun to watch.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
No mention of Corvidae intelligence can go by without this little video . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn0OjCneVUg

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4226 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
One of my neighbors has a pecan orchard down in the valley behind me + after having 2 years in a row of having his entire harvest lost due to crows I am glad to help him shoot all we can.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Norman Conquest I would love to assist with my suppressed PCP in .25, if it were about eight hours less driving time. Be Well, Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have lots of them around here , they are one of a newborn lamb's worst enemies. Very smart birds.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They eat young desert tortoises, too.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14361 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen ravens in many places in North America, but my favorite memory of them is deer hunting in northern MN. Typically the skies are battleship gray and snow covers the ground. Then I hear the clucking/croaking, or whatever you want to call it.

Ravens in CO and AK don't seem to make that same noise as the one in MN.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably my most favorite large bird. They always look like they are having so much fun.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a bunch of Ravens in Baltimore. They usually appear on Sunday. If they beat up my Dallas Cowboys, I hope someone hunts them.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote