Find
Notify
Tools

Oldies but goodies...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted
So technically this thread bridges the "small" and "medium" forums and I should be upset about that but...I don't want to.

I spent a little time at the range this morning with a couple of graybeards (besides me!): the 7x57 Mauser and the .218 Bee. With the 7mm pushing 127 years and the .218 relatively spry at 81, they make me look young in comparison!

The .218 Bee (brought out in 1938) and I go all the way back to the beginning of my hunting career; I used it to take my very first whitetail. Now, don't misunderstand: while I've killed deer with the .218, it wasn't then and isn't now a deer cartridge (but when Daddy puts one in your young hands, well, you make it work). These days I keep the little Bee in the much more appropriate role as a 150 yard varmint/turkey swatter...and aperture sights on my No. 1 makes even that distance plenty sporting!

The 7 Mauser (spawned in 1892) is a well-mannered little round that regularly punches above its modest weight. I'd considered building a rifle around this classic cartridge but finally opted for a Winchester M70 Super Grade...and so far we've gotten along famously. This morning was a case in point: a POI verification plunked three rounds of 130 grain CEBs into 3/4" CTC. Deer, hogs and (given its sedate sub-2600 fps MV) even turkeys will place their lives on the line if they step in front of this combo.

Come on November!

Mark

The 7 Mauser and the .218 Bee

Ruger No. 1 in .218

Winchester M70 Super Grade 7x57

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I hear you ! I have a Bee also , a Win. M43
I shoot Hornady V-Max's outa it fueled with 12 gr. Lil'Gun for 3070 FPS. also 4.3 gr. Unique with 45 gr. bullets for 1630 FPS. Shot many a squirrel, woodchuck and a few foxes with it! Shoots under 1" at 100 yds. The squirrel load shoots under 1/2" at 50 YDS.
I also shoot a few other rare/oddballs-----.256 WM. .30-40 Krag, .300 Savage and a 9.3 x 57.

The OLD/ODD ones are a lot of fun, moreso I think than most of the newer stuff.

Hip

Posts: 1793 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have a #1 in 218 Bee, one of my favorite rifles for sage rats.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a rancher friend in Texas who has about 100,000 acres of private deeded prime mule deer, Javalina, and Antelope hunting, He is near my age and the only rifle he has owned is a Win mod. 53 in .218 Bee, and he has slew tons of deer, Javalina, and Antelope with it in his lifetime, and not one escaped wounded..Did I say it still has the original iron sights and that's what he uses..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Browning 65 in 218 Bee. Love that little rifle. It is wonderfully accurate.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Ray, as the old saying goes, 'Beware of the man who only owns one gun; he probably knows how to use it.'

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Purely out of curiosity, what is that evil-looking anti-tank projectile you're loading in the 7x57?

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
CDSX,

That's a 130 grain ESP Raptor from Cutting Edge Bullets (CEB).

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Ray, as the old saying goes, 'Beware of the man who only owns one gun; he probably knows how to use it.'

While that was likely to be true in past generations, today I've found most guys with one gun usually don't have enough interest to really be competent shooters. I know there will be a few exceptions to that but overall I don't think most one gun guys today could hit their butt with both hands. At least not from what I've seen.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an ancient Winchester in 218Bee with a Weaver scope that was my grandfathers. I take it out every now and again as it’s quite the coyote killer. Probably the ugliest, plainest rifle I own but something about its history makes it one of my 2-3 favorites.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im a true believer in the wonderful 7x57 and have used it for many years..If push came to shove Id hunt any animal on this planet if I had too and as long as I could use both softs and solids..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I happened onto a pretty nice old Bee in a Win 43 a couple of years ago, but haven't had occasion to shoot it much. A hunting buddy has an enviable Win 43 Deluxe he lucked into from an estate, but mine has a bit better trigger.

However, my Holy Grail is a Sako L46 in .218 Bee. The only one I know the whereabouts of belongs to a really nice and generous guy, but it is a family heirloom that I'd never ask him to part with.

The only reason that the Bee didn't make the Hornet obsolete is that the Bee was considered primarily a lever-action cartridge using only flat-nosed bullets and not renowned for its accuracy.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built a Bee on a Stevens 044-1/2 action about 1992, been plinking gophers, a few yotes with it since. Been a lot of fun with that gun, and it is minute of gopher head with 10 rds at 200yds, so, it's a keeper.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Two great classics. Never had the chance to fool with the Bee but always wanted to.
Dang that is a handsome No. 1 you have there sir!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't doubt your wisdom Mart..probably a fact.. tu2

Ive owned an L-46 sako in 218 bee, and 22 Hornet back in the day..today I have a L-46s in 222, just sold a 22 Hornet IMP... My L-461 is a 6x45.

The Win. 53 have gone sky high in value or Id have bought a hornet at the last Sat. gunshow..but the price was scary! rotflmo

The l-46 Sako is the holy grail of gundome IMO.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you get lucky you might find a Ruger no.1 in 218 Bee, Ive seen a few..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the Bee in a lever action, the MARLIN 1894CL, and parted with it because I couldn't get it to stop climbing after the first shot. One-shot accuracy is fine in a big game rifle, but I wanted a varmint gun that could work through an acre or two of "go-downs" in a reasonable amount of time. Love the 7x57!
windy

Posts: 39 | Location: far from God's country | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote