THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    87 .243 Projectile substitution.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

87 .243 Projectile substitution.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have great success with the V-max and hornady 87 SP. Has anyone used the SST and how do they perform compared to the other two. Hopeing to get all three to the same P.O.I..

People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silkyoaks:
I have great success with the V-max and hornady 87 SP. Has anyone used the SST and how do they perform compared to the other two. Hopeing to get all three to the same P.O.I..

I am in the middle of changing from 85-grain Partitions to Barnes copper, with indeterminate results on accuracy so far. Not the same class of bullets, though.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14332 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HOw do they perform on game or how do they shoot for accuracy..I have found the SST a very soft bullet but suitable for deer size game with quick kills, and also had good accuracy in the .308, 7x57, and 30-06, don't know about the .243 but would bet they will work, The only real way to know is try them out, just because they shoot in one gun does not mean they will shoot in your gun..Thats a given.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Little late to the party on this one, but ……

I couldn't begin to count the number of deer my group of guys has killed with the 87gr SP Hornady. We've fired the through multiple M77s, 788s, 700s, & a custom 40x chambered in 243 & 6mm Rem. Pushed up to 3450fps they have been very consistent.

Another bullet worthy of your consideration is the Speer 90gr Hotcor. I stumbled onto this bullet after I picked up a youth 700 that I run suppressed and it just wouldn't do better than 3/4" with the 87gr.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another bullet worthy of your consideration is the Speer 90gr Hotcor. I stumbled onto this bullet after I picked up a youth 700 that I run suppressed and it just wouldn't do better than 3/4" with the 87gr

The horrors of .750 rifle one should junk it.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
The .243 SST bullet should be reserved for nothing but varmints.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote