THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .257 Roberts This years deer load.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.257 Roberts This years deer load.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I think I have found my deer load for this year. My little Robbie,(Ruger 77MK2 ultra light)
I Allways take this rifle along and I usualy let my hunting patners daughter use it.
I took it out to the woods today with a new load to try.
It has been real good with IMR-4350 and several different 100 grain bullets.
Today I decided to try the 100 grain partition.
It does real well with the Balistic tip, but
44.5 grains of IMR 4350 push a 100 grain bullet out of my 20 inch barrel at a little over 3100 FPS. The B-tip would probably be good but at that velocity I would prfer a partition.
I parked my truck and rested on sand bags off the hood.
1st 3 shots, .60 2 inches right and level with the bull. 2 were touching and I new I pulled the 3rd just a bit.
6 clicks left 6 clicks up.
Next round 1.5 high and about a 1/4th of an inch right of dead center.
The leupold 2.5X8 is a great scope for little robbie , and of course I will verify but I don't think I will find a better deer load.
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are all set with that load.

I no longer have a .257 Roberts but had great results using H4350 and the 100 grain Sierra (flat-base). I pretty much used that load for everything.

I miss the Roberts and am thinking about an Encore barrel in the little quarterbore. I noticed Match Grade Machine has a 24" version in their inventory, and I keep pulling up that page and "thinking" about it!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9333 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
45.0 grains of H-4350 with that same bullet shoots good in my 257 Bob.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are sure getting a lot of velocity out of that short barrel! 46 gr. H4350 with the 100 Hornady flat base gives 3025-3050 in both of the 22" Rugers I've chrono'ed. Haven't put the new Douglas barrel over the screens yet, so it may be a bit faster than the factory barrels above. A 100 Partition at over 3k should be a great deer load.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Roberts rifles,
The little ruger Seem to like the IMR-4350 while my custom seems to prefer the H-version.
The Springfield is getting a checkering job.
I am trying The IMR-4350, in my new .257 Roberts ack imp. Going to try 5 different bullets. 117 grain sierra flat base, 120 grain hornady HP. and I think 115 grain balistic tip, 110 grain accubond and 100 grain Hornady or sierras. the rifle is a FN supream action with a 25 inch douglas light sporter barrel.
It still neeeds bluing and a stock.
I am just using a junk factory stock for now...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too am a believer in the 4350 powders for the 257 but on a fluke I tried 35.0 grains of IMR 4064 with a 117 Grain Sierra and found the results to be very good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Guys

I've got a heap of H4831, does anyone have load for it and Nosler Accubond 110's for the 257 Rob, my rifle (small ring 98 mauser with Walther Lothar tube) will be ready soon. Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 39 grains of IMR4064 with a 100gr TSX with excellent results out of my 700 Classics. The 4350 works well to but oddly enough I have to set the bullet out further to get the same acccuracy. 4831 was accurate but I could only get enough in the case for about 2700fps. I have also tried Varget but accuracy was not good 1 1/2-2 in groups. LOVE the Bob

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another powder that works well for me in the roberts , is H-414, I get about the same results as with IMR-4350, but the 414 does not burn as clean so I refer the IMR-4350.
And I have done well with IMR-4064 also. The roberts is fun ! I do get suprisingly fast velocity from the little ruger.
It really makes my other custom Roberts extreemly impracticle.
But The negative on my ultra light ruger is that the barrel heats up real fast.
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
"bob fans" have not shot GOD'S CHOSEN CALIBER..........25-06!!!! Big Grin clapcouldn't help it folks!! It was set up so well!! I'll check my logs for the "bob" loadings and get back!! ..............but I'll bet if you want to kill deer "DRT"(dead right there) the 117 grain Sierra Spitzer Boat tail will do the deal!! No extra cost for plastic tips, cute colors, just "DRT"!! Works in both the .257 and 25-06...............better in the 25-06!! WinkGHD..........pastor at the church of GHD/25-06!

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groundhog devastation:
"bob fans" have not shot GOD'S CHOSEN CALIBER..........25-06!!!! Big Grin clapcouldn't help it folks!! It was set up so well!! I'll check my logs for the "bob" loadings and get back!! ..............but I'll bet if you want to kill deer "DRT"(dead right there) the 117 grain Sierra Spitzer Boat tail will do the deal!! No extra cost for plastic tips, cute colors, just "DRT"!! Works in both the .257 and 25-06...............better in the 25-06!! WinkGHD..........pastor at the church of GHD/25-06!

I see nothing sacreligious with owning both the 257 Roberts AND the 25-06.. Big Grin

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do own both.
The 25,06 might be my choice under certain circumstances. But if shots are kept in the 300 yard range the bob will do just as well.
Clearly the 25,06 has more power, But I also shoot a Roberts improved , and I must admit I just started playing with it, but I suspect it will be just a pinch behind the 25,06 in velocity while being much easier on barrels , more economicle powder wise.
I am consiering rechambering my 25,06 to the .257 weatherby.
I try just about all bullets in my rifles, just beacuse I want the deadly and most acurate load I can get for the game I hunt.
No way to be sure but I bet my 100 grain partition at 3100 will kill as well as a standard bullet in a 130 grain .270.
And yes I have a .270 too !
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tentman:
Hello Guys

I've got a heap of H4831, does anyone have load for it and Nosler Accubond 110's for the 257 Rob, my rifle (small ring 98 mauser with Walther Lothar tube) will be ready soon. Cheers - Foster

Try working toward 50gr of H4831 with the 110gr bullets lit with Rem 9 1/2 or WLR primers. It is a bit slow for these for optimal performance but should work well enough. I also like RL19 and IMR 4350. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote