THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    New to me Remington 600 in .243-couple questions

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to me Remington 600 in .243-couple questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought a Remington 600 in .243. It was set up for the guy's wife so stock is a little short--not original stock. Has rosewood forend and cap. Very nice hand checkering. Has Redfield mounts and Redfield 4x scope. Has steel floorplate and trigger guard. Gun is very clean. I paid $700. If that was too much not concerned as it will be great for my great grandsons. First question is how does that price sound? The serial number is 66672XX can someone tell me the year? Thanks.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about the price/value, but this may help..

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They were made from 1964-1968. For a .243 that's a bit high if the stock has been cut.

Grumpy old man with a gun,,,,Do not touch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you like it, and want it for the kids, why worry about the price.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
If you like it, and want it for the kids, why worry about the price.

+1 Not worried at all, just curious if it was a good deal.
I have parts on order to add a bolt release and sling posts

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For my area, your price is very fair, if not excellent. They sell here in Georgia for $900+.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a 600 (not the 600 Mowhawk) and a couple 660's.
Solid little rifles and it seems like a solid purchase for you. Congrats!

I never worried about the bolt stop since it has one already but has to be tripped with a slim pocket knife blade. I did, however, replace the plastic bottom metal with steel so about the same move as a new bolt stop/release. haha

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zeke-I have a couple 600's in .222. I replaced the plastic with steel on one and aluminum the other. I know you can release the bolt with a knife or something, but I like the built on bolt release, so I'm having it added. The one I bought already has steel bottom metal and that in itself is $150-$200. Not sure the value of the Redfield scope and mounts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Zeke-I have a couple 600's in .222. I replaced the plastic with steel on one and aluminum the other. I know you can release the bolt with a knife or something, but I like the built on bolt release, so I'm having it added. The one I bought already has steel bottom metal and that in itself is $150-$200. Not sure the value of the Redfield scope and mounts.

You're well on your way to having a fine little setup! I never looked into adding a bolt release button to mine but maybe back then they weren't even available.? Absolutely nothing wrong with a guy customizing to suit his taste and needs!!!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zeks-I had a Win 88 in .308. I had it set up the way I liked it. I had a Pachmyar (SP) decellerator recoil pad, Leupold compact 2x-7x scope, On the sling I had a leather pouch with an extra magazine. It was a pre 64 which had the cut checkering. My grandson (the father of the twin great grand sons) was a teen ager and I gave him the rifle. It has been magic for him, taken many deer with it. He took a real nice 10 pointer with me. He would not sell it for any price.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put the finishing touches on the Rem 600--had a 1/2" spacer and thick recoil pad added. Now to finally shoot it this afternoon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I started shooting it was doing good but after several shots groups went too big to even be a pattern--all over the place. My thoughts were perhaps the scope, so I bought a new Leupold 3x-9x and believe this or not here in San Angelo Texas we have gotten rain so I haven't been back to the range yet. I did originally ask if I paid too much, That is no longer a question, I'm into this one more than it would sell for--not a concern, I like it and whatever it takes to make it shoot. I did not clean the bore before shooting it as it looked good. I did clean it after shooting and it kept turning the patches black. Makes me wonder if possibly previous owner had used molly? Do people still use moly, I never have.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if people use molly or not but you'll be well served to make sure it's de-coppered too.

That's a little unsettling to have it shoot well and then go to hell like that.

Good luck,
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of RL in the LGS's in Vermont....,
Except RL15

Posts: 1612 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I would suspect bedding. Light barrel and all new bottom leaves lots of possibilities.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went to the range despite it being very windy (to have a tunnel like Saeed) under the conditions it shot well and problem seems solved. When I cleaned it the patches came clean.