Find
Notify
Tools

Boyd's stocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted
I maybe restocking a rifle and have had a couple of people recommend Boyd's stocks. Anyone with experience of owning a Boyd's stock and the level of customer service?

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Boyds laminate thumbhole stock fitted to a Howa 1500 varmint in .243 Win great stock very comfortable, the rifle consistently shoots sub moa groups.

the nut behind the butt

Posts: 135 | Location: Somerset | Registered: 15 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done about 15 of them or more.. for myself and others...

good customer service overall...I'd give them an 8 on a 10 scale..

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2090634171

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2095745046

here is how the last two I did turned out..

BOOM

cheers
seafire
beer

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 and like them both a lot. One is on a custom 7x57, grade II walnut and the other is a laminate on a 300H&H.

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ordered two JRS Classic stocks from Boyd`s in August last year. Very nice to talk to on the phone, but here is the thing: Still haven`t got them. Only a couple of e-mails saying "they will be ready in a few weeks...". Since I live in Sweden, I guess they are not so interested in international customers...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I plan on trying Richards Micro fit myself. More selection in my opinion.

Don Nelson
Sw. PA.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sochin:
Ordered two JRS Classic stocks from Boyd`s in August last year. Very nice to talk to on the phone, but here is the thing: Still haven`t got them. Only a couple of e-mails saying "they will be ready in a few weeks...". Since I live in Sweden, I guess they are not so interested in international customers...

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. It took them almost eight months to get me a JRS VIP Laminate for a Mark X. I will say I was happy with the product, despite the lengthy wait.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boyd's Customer's Problem is that they are producing such a good product at such a good type, the Manufacturers and distributors ( such as Legacy) are tying up the production facilities and capaciy so much, you have to look at long waits...especially on something non standard...

They are cataloging stocks for a CZ 452 Rimfire... So I called on them... I was quoted a 12 to 18 month wait since it is not done that often.. their production schedules are full completing orders for the manufacturers and distributors...

That is why Richards might be an alternative.. they are 'only' quoting4 months on the stock I ordered for a Savage 116......

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. It took them almost eight months to get me a JRS VIP Laminate for a Mark X. I will say I was happy with the product, despite the lengthy wait.

I don`t mind waiting for a good product, but when I plan a rifle project and get answers like "...only a couple of weeks", and it takes a year+, kind of makes me a little disappointed. I`m sure they manufacture very fine stocks but it didn`t work out for me. If they had quoted a more correct wait time, I would have had the choice of accepting the wait or move on with something else.
Again, they were very nice talking to and very helpful when placing the order(s). We`ll see how it ends.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sochin,

I live in Oz, and last year I ordered through a local gunsmith, a JRS laminate for use in a Rem 700 long action. I was told it would arrive in about 3 - 4 weeks, but it finally arrived 9 months later.

The stock was almost 3lbs, which is heavier than I anticipated, and it took a considerable amount of time and "elbow grease" to get it down to is current 2lbs 4ozs.

I am reasonably happy with the finished product, but unless weight wasn't an issue, I doubt whether I would order another one. Brian.

Posts: 66 | Location: Oaklands Park, South Australia | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i ordered a pepper laminate jrs sporter for a 1917 enfield.. was told that there was a 12 week wait... after about 5 weeks i received an email telling me that the stock was shipped .. and tracking info... shipped direct to tip burns for me, he said it looks good....i spoke at length to "dorothy" at boyds'... she made sure that i got what i wanted.. i was concerned about the possum belly configuration for the enfield.. she sent me pics of the stock... not mine, but a stock that was somebody's... great customer service....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2826 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i know a fellow personally that is producing great laminate stocks that you can finish yourself.his name is Joel Russo and can be reached at 717-805-0940. delivery in 4-6 weeks and a great product.he can also customize to your liking.

Posts: 42 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
do a search in the gunsmithing forum for Boyd's. They get mixed reviews. Some people have very good luck with them, others are very dissapointed. I got a stock that was terrible and had to do a lot just to make it work. I won't buy anything else from them unless there is no other alternative.

But as I sadi above, some people do have good luck. A lot (most? all?) of it depends on what level of quality you expect.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:

A lot (most? all?) of it depends on what level of quality you expect.

True that!

I have one on a Truck gun. For that function it is perfectly adequate. They will never win a beauty contest. As for customer Service, well, they don't listen to instructions well. I ordered mine a specific way and when it arrived, quickly I might add, it was NOT what I ordered. I was able to fix the problem but I shouldn't have had to.

Like most mass produced stocks, the stock was too bulky but that does give you some room to rework it to better suit you.

I will say this much, based off of this experience though, if I HAD to use a semi-inlet, I would pick Boyd's over Richard's Microfit any day.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a few, they where decent but all had the inletting overcut. It makes for easy work but I had to fill gaps in all of them around the triggerguard when bedding. I've had better luck with richards when it comes to inletting. But the boyd's require less finishing and if you like the overall shape just require finish sanding.
-Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I've used them myself and fixed up friends with their stocks, and I've been pleased. Most were undercut and required some minor fitting, but that can (and should!) be expected from a mass-produced item.

For the $$, they're a good deal in my opinion.

As to CS, I've always been warmly greeted by knowledgable people and don't ever recall waiting more than a couple of weeks for my order.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
Boyd's has a good product for it's price and uses. They make a comfortable straight grained utilitarian stock. If you want a high grade fancy wood you may be better served elsewhere.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
give Joel Russo a call.his stocks are a far better value than Richards or Boyd's.he has an exact copy of a McMillan A-5.call him, you won't regret it. 717-805-0940

Posts: 42 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote