THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Ruger African 6.5x55 Target pics added 4/16/18
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger African 6.5x55 Target pics added 4/16/18
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surefire and Mjines, you are welcome.

Alf,

Nice shooting rig you have there.

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I'm having a hard time understanding the fascination with the 155, 156 and 160 grain bullets out of the 6.5x55 other than the possibility of a nostalgic bent.?...
The 6.5 Swede really comes to life with 120, and 130 grain bullets and to me the 140's even seem like "heavies".
I'd like to know how these "Africans" shoot with 120's?

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "old" 6.5's earned their reputation on the high SD 159 gr bullet and not the later 140 gr bullets.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
The "old" 6.5's earned their reputation on the high SD 159 gr bullet and not the later 140 gr bullets.

I understand the nostalgia, the 30/06 earned it's reputation killing men on the battlefields with FMJ bullets but we don't use that as an excuse to use a 30/06 in that fashion, I just can't see crippling the 6.5x55 with such slow bullets when the 120's and 140's are so much flatter shooting and with modern bullets go clear through just about any animal you care to shoot with it.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All depends on what you want to do with the gun !

Rigby realizing that their 275 rifles were finding use outside the realm of the first users were primarily using them for ( ie elephant hunting) did the same by going to a "high velocity" 140 deg offering.

What is interesting about the history of the 6.5 is is that it was at one time prior WW 1 the most prevalent caliber used by prominent hunters in Africa.

It must be noted though that it was not the Swede that was popular , the Swede's use as a African caliber is a more recent event

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
I'm having a hard time understanding the fascination with the 155, 156 and 160 grain bullets out of the 6.5x55 other than the possibility of a nostalgic bent.?...

What I like about the 6.5s, is that they CAN shoot the above heavy weight bullets, at such a small caliber.

I love and shoot a 25-06 for deer and antelope in NA. Some on this forum use it successfully for elk. For such size animals I prefer a heavier bullet. Just me. About the largest bullet for the 25.06 is a 120 gr.(SD of .260). Go up one caliber to 6.5 (.264), and suddenly, it jumps way up to 160 gr.(SD of .328).

So, if one is looking for a very small bore in a three rifle African battery, the 6.5 can fill in admirably, shooting 120-140 gr. bullets, with the OPTION of up to 160 gr., if the medium bore in one's battery goes down. Nothing under the 6.5 calibers offers this option. Many consider the 6.5s the smallest for African hunting.

Of course, the 275 Rigby offers the same option with good 140 gr. bullets, all the way up to 175 gr., etc. But the 6.5s are the SMALLEST to offer such high sectional densities that can stand in for a medium bore in a pinch. Hell, the old timers used them for Elephant! Probably not too many would choose that today...

I bought the new Ruger African 6.5x55 for this reason. I also bought the new Ruger African 275 Rigby. I think these new offerings from Ruger are stellar. Where else can one buy/build such a rifle with all of the safari bells & whistles, for $950?

I look forward with great enthusiasm to their next offering! (a medium bore I understand in my favorite: 35 Whelen!!!!). For Africa, I guess the 9.3x62 would be more practical, but they already offered that a few years ago, and I bought a couple. The 35 Whelen in the Ruger African will be new and greatly anticipated, by me at least, and a couple of other 35 caliber nuts on this forum. dancing

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:

What I like about the 6.5s, is that they CAN shoot the above heavy weight bullets, at such a small caliber.

I love and shoot a 25-06 for deer and antelope in NA. Some on this forum use it successfully for elk. For such size animals I prefer a heavier bullet. Just me. About the largest bullet for the 25.06 is a 120 gr.(SD of .260). Go up one caliber to 6.5 (.264), and suddenly, it jumps way up to 160 gr.(SD of .328).

So, if one is looking for a very small bore in a three rifle African battery, the 6.5 can fill in admirably, shooting 120-140 gr. bullets, with the OPTION of up to 160 gr., if the medium bore in one's battery goes down. Nothing under the 6.5 calibers offers this option. Many consider the 6.5s the smallest for African hunting.

Of course, the 275 Rigby offers the same option with good 140 gr. bullets, all the way up to 175 gr., etc. But the 6.5s are the SMALLEST to offer such high sectional densities that can stand in for a medium bore in a pinch. Hell, the old timers used them for Elephant! Probably not too many would choose that today...

I bought the new Ruger African 6.5x55 for this reason. I also bought the new Ruger African 275 Rigby. I think these new offerings from Ruger are stellar. Where else can one buy/build such a rifle with all of the safari bells & whistles, for $950?

I look forward with great enthusiasm to their next offering! (a medium bore I understand in my favorite: 35 Whelen!!!!). For Africa, I guess the 9.3x62 would be more practical, but they already offerd that a few years ago, and I bought a couple. The 35 Whelen in the Ruger African will be new and greatly anticipated, by me at least, and couple other 35 caliber nuts on this forum. dancing

+1!

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ALF, Nice group with your 6.5x55. Looks like five rounds around an inch! Those 160s are LONG bullets aren't they?!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cj,

I just got the 6.5x55 Norma 156 gr. Oryx ammo in the mail today. It was indeed $24.78/box. I bought a case.

I wanted to see if the ammo came with no hitches as it is a company I have not dealt with before.

So, now I am ordering two more cases: 280 Rem. Norma 156 gr. Oryx, also at $24.78/box, and 30-06 Norma 180 gr. Oryx at $21.87/box. Great deals.

Thanks Cj!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
So here is another Swede......
little off topic

Swedish mauser M94 / 14

Converted from 6.5x55 to 7x57 by Madsen For Interarms circa 1955
3000 were delivered to EL Salvador and a small amount ended up as Surplus in the USA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ALF,

Nice looking rifle!! Looks like it would be fast handling.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. Shot the Norma ammo today and the five groups of four different rifles averaged about 1" at 100m. 1 3/8", 1", 1", 1", & 3/4". That's really accurate factory ammo! At a great price!

These were all Ruger rifles by the way: (1) Mark II, (1) Express, (2) Hawkeyes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How well did your Swede shoot?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjfoster:
How well did your Swede shoot?

I didn't shoot the Swede Cj. The four rifles I shot were two different 280s and two different 30-06s.

I haven't mountd a scope on the Swede yet. I'm waiting for enough points to gather on my Cabela's credit card for a free scope. I haven't bought a scope in years. Get them all free from Cabelas: Leupold VX3 2.5-8. It's the only thing I get with my points. In that regard at least, Cabela's is great! I have probably received over 30 free such scopes over the years from them.

I'll report back here when I get the new scope mounted and take the Swede for it's virgin outing with the Norma 156 gr. Oryx. Hope it shoots like yours and Mikes!