New
Find
Notify
Tools

I love .223s
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use my .223 to practice shooting offhand; on my CO prop I have a 10"x10" gong set up and shoot six shots at least once per week, sometimes more.

I shoot more .223 than any other caliber.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Its certainly cheap enough to shoot regularly, especially if you reload.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of weekends ago I shot 140 .223 rounds at PDs in CO; I can't think of a more perfect caliber.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
A couple of weekends ago I shot 140 .223 rounds at PDs in CO; I can't think of a more perfect caliber.

I can't even come close to counting the number of 223 rounds.

I have shot and seen shot at PDOGS many 10's of thousands.

Hard to come up a better round for that.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What barrel length do you guys like for the .223? What is the best practical length for good velocity? I am thinking of re-barreling a rifle to 223. Thanks, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
What barrel length do you guys like for the .223? What is the best practical length for good velocity? I am thinking of re-barreling a rifle to 223. Thanks, Brian

For what purpose.

I have 223s with barrels from 16 to 26 inches.

From light weight to heavy varmint.

If I would only have one most likely a 22 inch medium weight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good question, I should have said something. I am into gopher shooting.
Mostly 200 yds to 275 yds.
22 inch medium weight appeals to me. Velocity ok with the right powder?

I shoot gophers with my grand kids. They use .22 rimfire. They will graduate to this .223 in 2-3 years.
Thanks, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem with a mid weight 223 is that it is difficult to see your hits. I like knowing if I hit the target or not. A heavier barrel will help as will loading the lighter bullets. A heavier barrel will take longer to heat up. But I am looking at it as a dedicated squirrel gun. Guys I know put breaks on theirs so they can see their hits. Lots of muzzle blast though.

Posts: 370 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bghntr416, Good points, thanks. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian Canada--If your grandkids can handle a .22 rimfire, they can handle a .223 that fits them. I have a couple of Remington 600's in .222 and I had an extra stock. I cut the extra stock down for youth and they do fine with it. I can put it back to original since I still have the uncut stock. My great grandsons, age 9 were shooting it this year and I also had a win model 70 in .223 with full length stock. One of the twins showed more interest in shooting and could handle the full length. He got his deer with that .223. Over past several years I have seen this repeated numerous times.___

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
carpetman1, Thanks for your comments, I agree. I am thinking that a 21-22 inch, mid weight barrel will be good. It sounds like you and your youngsters have some good times. A deer at 9 years old! He is off to running start.

My Wife and I have spent as much time as we could, over the years, exploring Texas. I have never been to San Angelo, But the name reminds me of one of my favourite movies, "Good Old Boys" with Tommy Lee Jones.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian Canada I am very lucky that a son in law inherited a ranch from his grandmother. For years I have had a free place to hunt. Over the years I have taken grandson, nephew, great nephews and now great grandson. Pretty much the same situation repeats itself. Next year the hope is that the other twin great grandson gets one.

I do have some fun with them. I take some cast .222 bullets and tell them they are special silver bullets for weirwolves and they really kick hard. Probably wont break your collarbone. After finally convincing them to shoot one you can see the relief that it didn't kick as much as the jacketed ones they had been shooting.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are very fortunate and you obviously appreciate it.
Encompassing our youngsters in our hunting and shooting is very important and loads of fun. Thanks for the post, Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian Canada--My grandson, the father of the twins, was like hunting with a seasoned hunter by the time he was 12 or so. When younger he would be holding a leg or something to help with dressing the deer. At an early age he'd be doing the cutting. He had moved up to using either his dad's .243 or mine when he was about 10. When he was about 15 I gave him a Win model 88 in .308 and that thing has been magic for him. I have a video of him that I think you would enjoy, PM me a cell phone number and I'll send it if you like. I don't know how to post it here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Start them young, raise them right, they well become life long hunting partners.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True, + in almost every case, also responsible law abiding adults as well.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too! My family is now three generations of hunters, shooters, campers, hikers, etc. It sounds like carpet man's family is four generations. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any sons, but sons in law are hunters, my grandpa was, dad was, grandson and now greatgrandsons.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So you have the best of both worlds. I have a good friend in his 80s that sells ranch properties + raised his daughter right, life in the country, guns, etc. Everything was great until he let her go to college in the 60s at UCLA. They brainwashed the girl + now its an issue for him to see his grandson because she knows he will take him shooting (which is only right). Count your blessings!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian Canada---The .223 for your grand kids is a great choice. Perhaps a .204 Ruger for gopher shooting would be even better. I like CZ rifle and being lightweight they would be ideal for a youngster. I think they even make a youth model in .204 Ruger. I know from other posts you reload, otherwise ammo might be more expensive than .223. Then of course with a CZ you have the situation of the backwards safety.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a cooper in .204. I have not done well with finding an accurate load for it. It is the one that I plan to re-barrel to .223 and change the stock on for my grandson. His father shoots 223 as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would have thought a Cooper in .204 Ruger would drive tacks. Probably would be heavy for a youngster.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
carpetman1, It is probably just me. I am just not that fond of the cartridge but I sure like the single shot bolt action. And I am looking for an excuse to get Jaxon into it in the same calibre as his dad.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian Canada---The .223 is a great choice. Only problem I have with mine is I can't get it to shoot cast bullets. My .222's and 22-250 shoot the cast bullet but my .223 just will not shoot that same bullet. For grandkids shooting gophers etc, cast bullets would be great. I used plenty of cast .22 bullets shooting jackrabbits.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by miles58:
I grew up shooting a couple of beautiful little Sako Vixens in .222 and .222 mag. You really couldn't ask for anything more than them. Beautiful, accurate as hell, never gave me any trouble. But... .223s come with an advantage that you can't ignore. BRASS. Lots of brass for cheap or even free. Something that cannot be said for the .222s I can do everything with them that really needs doing. With some 53-70 grain copper bullets they kill deer well enough that you have nothing to worry about no matter the size of the deer. If there is any shortcoming at all, it would be that they just do not have anything left on the top end if you have to shoot out past 300 yards. Maybe a 7/8 twist shooting 70 grain TSXs could do OK at 400 yards, but I have managed to shoot deer for 60 odd years without having a need to shoot one that far.

With all that free brass I ose them like everything from a .22 lr to a deer rifle. With 4-6 grains of Blue dot and 32-50 grain bullets they nicely overlap most of the commercial .22lr ammo on the market. 4 grain loads can be very quiet, maybe not so quiet as something like CB caps or CCI Quiets, but quiet enough not to disturb neighbors while you dispatch pests. With 12 grains of Blue Dot I have done away with a bunch of raccoons, porcupines, skunks, feral cats and a few foxes and coyotes, one of which I am pretty sure was rabid. That 12 grain load with 32 grain bullets delivers >3200 FPS which means that red squirrels and chipmunks don't leave pieces big enough tp pick up. Additionally, all those little bullets are very fragile which makes for safer shooting. They come completely undone if they hit ANYTHING! I have shot chipmunks less than a foot in front of pieces of wood and the only thing that hit the wood was chipmunk splatter. NOTHING of the bullets managed to hit the wood to leave a mark.

Out of a 20 inch 9 twist barrel I can get inch groups at 100 yards with those loads. I only neck size and brass lasts forever, even the 12 grain loads do not seem to need full length sizing.

For deer loads I do tend to use more conventional powders like TAC, H300, BLC-2 and Varget. I do FL resize that brass for each use. I find those loads with the copper bullets tend to perform very comparably with 30-30 deer loads but for the .223s being a better choice beyond 100 yards. I have not shot a lot of deer with the .223s, but what I have shot died quickly with full pass throughs even on a huge doe.

With free brass and such tiny powder charges it's hard to find anything to complain about.
You just did a heck of a sales job on me, especially since we're going through the ammo and component shortage now. I have a boxcar full of .223 brass, good stuff too, like Lake /City. I'm afraid that we haven't seen the last of these kind of shortages as it is a very effective tool for the anti-gun A-holes. I've been looking at used Sakos in .223 because my Ruger M77 just doesn't shoot like what I'm looking for. But nobody's giving them away~!

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
So you have the best of both worlds. I have a good friend in his 80s that sells ranch properties + raised his daughter right, life in the country, guns, etc. Everything was great until he let her go to college in the 60s at UCLA. They brainwashed the girl + now its an issue for him to see his grandson because she knows he will take him shooting (which is only right). Count your blessings!
I really feel for the guy. How these kids allow themselves to be "brainwashed" is way beyond my ability to understand. By the time I got to college I knew who I was, and I sincerely believe that there was NOTHING anybody could have said or done to alter my core values~! My donations all go to Hillsdale and my Alma Mater can KMA~!

one of us
posted Hide Post
P dog a bit of both fits, I just had to see, then it dawned on me a solid does more damage in bone (a head shot) than on a heart lung shot, and cost me $600... BOOM

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
P dog a bit of both fits, I just had to see, then it dawned on me a solid does more damage in bone (a head shot) than on a heart lung shot, and cost me $600... BOOM

So much depends on what bullet one is using.

What impact velocity, shot angle ect ect ect.

one of us
posted Hide Post
DAng NOrm, now whats he gonna do all winter, thats when the snow flies in Idaho and Ray spends all hard earned money on reloading to intertain in a warm shop..I speak from experience I have more ammo loaded than I could shoot in two more lifetimes..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A yes, the perverbile boat paddle stock proclaimed to be ugly, but ugly is as ugly does in that its the most indestructable item in history...I have one in a Ruger 77 338 Win. specifically for that Idaho late elk hunt in various amounts of snow and rain, blizzards, high winds and whatever else mother bitch puts out...Its nice to be able to stick it butt first in the snow while gutting an elk and watching over your shoulder for a Griz shocker or packing in a saddle scabbard or paddling a canoe when you lose a paddle, thats when ole ugly comes in handy..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The one and only Ruger CF Rifle I own is a SS Boat Paddle in .223.

Got it in CA when the local Walmasrt decided to cave and discontinue rifle sales. It was clearanced and a display model that had a ton of tape reside all over. I talked the manager down on price due to how hideous it looked with that residue and said I'll take it. He went off to the store room to fetch the box and came back a while later acting kinda sheepish and said, I hate to tell you this but we can't find the box. I shook my head acting disappointed and he said, how about I knock another 25% off? Inside I was laughing, thinking, great, now I don't have to dispose off a box. Then I said, I'll take it.

I took it and 4 boxes of the then common Winchester 40 rd white box bulk ammo. It shot that stuff into honest 5/8" groups all day long. That ammo used to sell for $9.99 for 40.

I'm still not sold on Ruger rifles, but I'll not be letting go of that particular one!

It and my CZ 452 in .17 HMR are my go to prarie dog guns.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by miles58:
I grew up shooting a couple of beautiful little Sako Vixens in .222 and .222 mag. You really couldn't ask for anything more than them. Beautiful, accurate as hell, never gave me any trouble. But... .223s come with an advantage that you can't ignore. BRASS. Lots of brass for cheap or even free. Something that cannot be said for the .222s I can do everything with them that really needs doing. With some 53-70 grain copper bullets they kill deer well enough that you have nothing to worry about no matter the size of the deer. If there is any shortcoming at all, it would be that they just do not have anything left on the top end if you have to shoot out past 300 yards. Maybe a 7/8 twist shooting 70 grain TSXs could do OK at 400 yards, but I have managed to shoot deer for 60 odd years without having a need to shoot one that far.

With all that free brass I ose them like everything from a .22 lr to a deer rifle. With 4-6 grains of Blue dot and 32-50 grain bullets they nicely overlap most of the commercial .22lr ammo on the market. 4 grain loads can be very quiet, maybe not so quiet as something like CB caps or CCI Quiets, but quiet enough not to disturb neighbors while you dispatch pests. With 12 grains of Blue Dot I have done away with a bunch of raccoons, porcupines, skunks, feral cats and a few foxes and coyotes, one of which I am pretty sure was rabid. That 12 grain load with 32 grain bullets delivers >3200 FPS which means that red squirrels and chipmunks don't leave pieces big enough tp pick up. Additionally, all those little bullets are very fragile which makes for safer shooting. They come completely undone if they hit ANYTHING! I have shot chipmunks less than a foot in front of pieces of wood and the only thing that hit the wood was chipmunk splatter. NOTHING of the bullets managed to hit the wood to leave a mark.

Out of a 20 inch 9 twist barrel I can get inch groups at 100 yards with those loads. I only neck size and brass lasts forever, even the 12 grain loads do not seem to need full length sizing.

For deer loads I do tend to use more conventional powders like TAC, H300, BLC-2 and Varget. I do FL resize that brass for each use. I find those loads with the copper bullets tend to perform very comparably with 30-30 deer loads but for the .223s being a better choice beyond 100 yards. I have not shot a lot of deer with the .223s, but what I have shot died quickly with full pass throughs even on a huge doe.

With free brass and such tiny powder charges it's hard to find anything to complain about.

COST is a very important consideration for me. Plus the fact that I never shoot over 300 yards. Brass availability is of the utmost importance. I 'd like a bigger bore and I absolutely love everything I've read about the 6mm-ARC, but now we're into the problem of ammunition availability and even finding brass. Admiring and ownership are two necessary considerations~!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be careful buying a .223 bolt gun. My M77 was an early one and has a 1:12 twist rate which will not be accurate with any bullet weighing over 55gr. Make sure you are getting a tighter twist rate if you have any thoughts of shooting the 60gr and up bullets.
It took several years and a myriad of powder/bullet combos before I found this out and was even considering selling it as a lemon or paying for a new barrel. My rifle shoots very well now with 52gr bullets. What I've just told you can save you a lot of aggravation and heart ache~!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Brian Canada---The .223 is a great choice. Only problem I have with mine is I can't get it to shoot cast bullets. My .222's and 22-250 shoot the cast bullet but my .223 just will not shoot that same bullet. For grandkids shooting gophers etc, cast bullets would be great. I used plenty of cast .22 bullets shooting jackrabbits.

What is the twist rate on the barrel of the barrel of your .223, and what weight cast bullet are you trying to shoot~? Important question~!

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Nice to see how much attitudes have changed about this fine round as a viable choice for deer hunting.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwcars:
Be careful buying a .223 bolt gun. My M77 was an early one and has a 1:12 twist rate which will not be accurate with any bullet weighing over 55gr. Make sure you are getting a tighter twist rate if you have any thoughts of shooting the 60gr and up bullets.
It took several years and a myriad of powder/bullet combos before I found this out and was even considering selling it as a lemon or paying for a new barrel. My rifle shoots very well now with 52gr bullets. What I've just told you can save you a lot of aggravation and heart ache~!

Good point sir!

My Howa mini is an 8 twist and a coworker is buying a Ruger American 22" barrel with an 8 twist too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
quote:

Good point sir!

My Howa mini is an 8 twist and a coworker is buying a Ruger American 22" barrel with an 8 twist too.

Zeke:

I am looking for a .223. Do you like your Howa as an all around varmit rifle? I want to get one for fox and coyotes, mainly. I really want a bolt action but after reading the previous post, I am worried about the twist rate/accuracy.

I do not reload and want to buy buy ammo off the shelf.

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
quote:

Good point sir!

Zeke:

I am looking for a .223. Do you like your Howa as an all around varmit rifle? I want to get one for fox and coyotes, mainly. I really want a bolt action but after reading the previous post, I am worried about the twist rate/accuracy.

I do not reload and want to buy buy ammo off the shelf.

It's especially hard to find negative things to say about the .223. If you reload, and are meticulous about prepping your components and testing, you can find a brass/powder/bullet combination that is quite accurate.
The single negative comment I can personally make is that I hate cleaning that tiny bore. I'm far happier with the .24/6mm bore. That makes the .223 necked up to 6mm pretty interesting~!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zeke:

I do not reload and want to buy buy ammo off the shelf.[/QUOTE]

If you look at the ammo you generally find on the shelf you'll discover that 99.99% of it has a 55gr bullet. Most of the rifles in .223 that are sold will have a 1:8 barrel twist. Just check before you write your check or plunk down your credit card.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dwcars--The rifle is a Winchester model 70 so twist is 1 in 9. The mold is a RCBS 58 grain. I am no longer concerned about shooting cast in it as I have 3 others that shoot that bullet. It shoots 55 grain cup and core very well. One of my twin greatgrandsons got his first deer with it.