quote:
Originally posted by dwcars:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
quote:
Originally posted by dwcars:
Be careful buying a .223 bolt gun. My M77 was an early one and has a 1:12 twist rate which will not be accurate with any bullet weighing over 55gr. Make sure you are getting a tighter twist rate if you have any thoughts of shooting the 60gr and up bullets.
It took several years and a myriad of powder/bullet combos before I found this out and was even considering selling it as a lemon or paying for a new barrel. My rifle shoots very well now with 52gr bullets. What I've just told you can save you a lot of aggravation and heart ache~!

Good point sir!

My Howa mini is an 8 twist and a coworker is buying a Ruger American 22" barrel with an 8 twist too.

Zeke:

I am looking for a .223. Do you like your Howa as an all around varmit rifle? I want to get one for fox and coyotes, mainly. I really want a bolt action but after reading the previous post, I am worried about the twist rate/accuracy.

I do not reload and want to buy buy ammo off the shelf.

It's especially hard to find negative things to say about the .223. If you reload, and are meticulous about prepping your components and testing, you can find a brass/powder/bullet combination that is quite accurate.
The single negative comment I can personally make is that I hate cleaning that tiny bore. I'm far happier with the .24/6mm bore. That makes the .223 necked up to 6mm pretty interesting~!

For many years I kept my eye open for a Winchester featherweight in a 223. My plan back then was a 6-223/6mm TCU. Back then I was planning to start my kids with one. Then I found a 243 and the dream was put on hold.
Now that the 6 ARC is out and Howa is planning to chamber it in the Carbon Stalker. My idea is a 4 pound 10 ounce rifle with a threaded barrel. I can put my suppressor on it and a scope that is on the light side and have a very nice little rifle for my Granddaughters to start with. I do have a CZ 527 in 223 that has a fast twist. So I could also go with the 223 and barns X bullets. I have a box of 62 gr on the shelf that could do duty as a close range deer rifle. If I do that the Howa may never happen.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Once again, if you can find an Interarms Mini MK X, buy it. I sold my last one to Lane for his son so I have no regrets on that but sure would like another.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
quote:
Black Zytel stock with wood inserts in the grip and forend

IMO they are the ugliest stock Ruger ever made.

Sorry you feel that way. My Zytel stocked stainless .223 is quite good looking IMHO. I can take it anywhere and not worry about doing it any damage. It's not a bright deep blue/black with a highly figured Walnut stock, but my "beauty queens" just spend their lives in a safe. Pretty difficult to enjoy them hiding in there~!

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
carpetman1, It is probably just me. I am just not that fond of the cartridge but I sure like the single shot bolt action. And I am looking for an excuse to get Jaxon into it in the same calibre as his dad.

Single shot for me too. I'm thinking of buying an old 1885 Winchester and having it re-barreled to a .223. Or, if I could find one of the re-pros built for Winchester by Miroku I'd buy one of them~!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Dwcars--The rifle is a Winchester model 70 so twist is 1 in 9. The mold is a RCBS 58 grain. I am no longer concerned about shooting cast in it as I have 3 others that shoot that bullet. It shoots 55 grain cup and core very well. One of my twin great-grandsons got his first deer with it.
Well that just shows you what I've already stated. Your Model 70 barrel has a good twist rate for handling those heavier than 55gr bullets. Probably does nicely with the over 60 grainers~!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dwcars--I have never shot anything heavier than 55 grainers in it. If it aint broke, don't fix it--the 55 grainers have done a splendid job.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine not having a .223 or 5.56.

I think I'm covered with 2 Sako AI's, Rem 788, Ruger Stainless scout rifle, a couple AUG's and several AR's of various iterations. Cheap fun, once you get past the hardware. Easy to reload for, not finicky in the least. Someday I may get a suppressor, that Ruger needs one. I can see this becoming a go to Whitetail 'culling' rifle for doe/fawn hunts in the river bottoms.

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 397 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote