THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    264 WM bullets for whitetail?? update on pg 2
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

264 WM bullets for whitetail?? update on pg 2
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I shot a mule deer in Wy this fall with the 140 gr nosler accubond. The bullet went through the heart at 90 yards. The buck was quartering away slightly. The bullet did not hit either shoulder. Bloodshot meat wasn't bad at all. I was impressed by the accubonds performance and accuracy.

Posts: 9 | Location: eastern wi | Registered: 29 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
This has been an interesting thread, as a .264 is one of the 2 rifles I primarily hunt with (the other being a .338). 3 days ago, New Years Day, we were skinning and quartering a Desert Ram I’d shot the evening before (BTW, I doubt there could be a better way to end 2020) with my .264 pushing a 127 grain Barnes LRX at 3,230 FPS.

There was very little meat damage. My experience with Barnes Bullets is they, and I’m guessing all mono metal Bullets, kill without nearly as much bloodshot meat as a lead core bullet causes.

Posts: 3833 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another good bullet in the 264 is the 125gr Partition. If you want less bloodshot meat, shoot high shoulder shots with the 140gr AB. Or, better yet, shoot ‘em in the neck.

Cheers.

Posts: 682 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was minding my own business in the local gun store this morning when s Model 70 Featherweight followed me home. I got some 140 gr bonded bullet factory blemish bullets today.

Posts: 65 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 02 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I have taken a lot of animals with a 264 WM. Shoot anything in the crease and you won't have any ruined meat. I have also had excellent results with high shoulder shots. I only use Barns TTSX in 120 grain and would highly recommend them!!!

Posts: 2320 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I bought 5-6 boxes of 260 Remington Federal Premium loaded with the 120 TSX. I expect they will do the same amount of work the Nosler 140 PT does at 260 speeds and reasonable ranges. What say you Slider?

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 125 Partition.

on a expensive hunt where I want the bullet to work when everything is wrong and not just when everything is perfect, the 125 pushed by 7828 gets the nod.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well the fun is over, the arguements have calmed down..so the bottom line is the 264 is a great gun to shoot anything with if you just use the right bullet, one thats a little on the tough side.. tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I just took a Win Mod 70 out of retirement. This rifle shoots Nosler 140 gr Accubonds. Anyone have any extra Accubonds they would part with so I can blood shoot some meat this season?

Posts: 657 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 6.5 PRC shoots tiny three shot holes with a Barnes 120 or 130 grain Barnes TSX. The 120 grain at 3216 fps, don't renmenber the speed of the 130 grain off the top of my head but close to the speed of the 120 grainer. In my mind ideal for any Deer. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2344 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So here's an update.
I shot 8 bucks, 2 doe and several hogs. I used all 130gr bullets at 3,240 fps; TSX (fb and boat tail) and Scirocco's.
I only recovered 1 bullet and it was a TSX boat tail from a doe at 286 yds. She was quartering to me. The bullet entered between her neck and shoulder and came to rest in her off side ham. The bullet looked like a magazine ad.
The deer ranged from 125 yds to 300 yds. The trauma around the wounds was pretty impressive, much more so than my 270 or 257 Roberts. The harder bullets definitely held together better. I shot a couple of factory 140's and the bullets definitely started to come apart.
I did notice more blood shot meat with the 264 compared to the 270, 257 Rbts, 7x57 and even the 300 HH but by no means did it result in ruined meat to excess.
It did seam to hit harder but that is very subjective.
I really enjoyed using it this season and it will definitely be in my go to line up.

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Well the fun is over, the arguements have calmed down..so the bottom line is the 264 is a great gun to shoot anything with if you just use the right bullet, one thats a little on the tough side.. tu2

As seen

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote