THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    260 Rem with 100 gr Partition

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

260 Rem with 100 gr Partition
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm about to start some accuracy testing on various 100 gr bullets. Sako, 1:8, 22" barrel. Seafire, Vapohog and others, can you please share your experience with this particular bullet on WT deer (up to 150 lb) and hogs (up to 200 lb). Typically under 300 yards - usually but not always. For this bullet, I intend to start low and work up to Seafire's favorite IMR 4064 load.

Thank you for any suggestions you may care to make.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Task1 If you insist on 100 gr bullets the TSX will maintain near 100 % of its original weight and will give you decent penetration. Bullets that shed a good partition of their weight may not be as effective especially when your shots are between 200 and 300 yds. For the lomger shots you may want to consider 120 gr TTSX or the 125 gr Partitions. They will give you better penetration and be more effective of game.

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Snowman - all good advice. Seafire strongly supports the 125 Partition as well. IMO the 125 comes reasonably close to the .270 Win with the 130 gr bullet - no small praise. Nathan Foster - a very credible source in NZ praises the 125 and says the 140 Part is the best all around in the 6.5X55 and .260.

I've thought about the Barnes Tipped 100 and 120. Penetration? Yes, of course. Expansion? Even with the Tipped TSX I'm wary with the lower velocities of the .260 - hence my asking about the light weight Partition.

Thanks again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not trying for any sort of speed record but I am interested in terminal energy and accuracy. I use 140gr bullets and haven't had to shot anything twice.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nosler introduced the 100 gr Partition specifically for the 260 Remington, so I'd say that this bullet would be a damn good choice for hunting deer or pigs. (Nosler reloading guide #6, page 231)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a couple deer with the 100 Partition out of my 260. They went like all of the other deer I have shot with any 6.5...took a step or two and fell over dead. Both were about 150 pounds. One was 100 yards and the other about 150. Never found the bullets. I found some 120 TSX ammo and was going to try that. It is supposed to launch at over 2900 fps. We will see.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all. Much obliged. Your information is much appreciated as I work hard to set up successful loads and didn't want to experiment on game.

Cheers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 100 grain Partition and get around 3,200 fps with Winchester/Olin cases and 41.0 grains of H4895 from a 22" barrel.

I wouldn't worry about penetration with a Partition.

Funny thing, I have never owned a 6.5mm bore rifle that would shoot the 125 grain Nosler Partition very well. The 129 grain Hornady and 130 grain AB have both been more accurate for me and I think that they are hard to beat as "all-purpose" bullets in the medium case capacity 6.5mm bore cartridges.

If you didn't need the penetration for hogs, I'd suggest trying the 123 grain AMax.

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have killed over a dozen deer with the 100 grain Partition from the 260. 100 pound does to a big muley buck over 225 lbs. at ranges from 40 yards to 300 yards. found the bullet from the big muley on the off side (shot at 75 yards) with a good frontal diameter and no top core. Most of the others went straight through. None of the deer went more than 20 yards and the big boy went stiff legged and fell straight over. They have not shot as accurately from my 8 twists, but they are MOA from my 700 TI with a 9 twist. I am shooting 125 Partitions from 2 8 twists with H Super Performance with near 1/2 MOA accuracy and have yet to recover a bullet. 130 Accubonds and 130 Berger VLDs also do a nice job with great accuracy. My 100 Grain loads are with H414. If they shoot straight they are a very reliable deer bullet.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Quintus,
What is your H Superformance load if I may ask?

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, much appreciated. Again, encouraging and good to know.

Was headed to the range today with the 100 PT, the 100 Sierra HP and the 130 Accubond. Got rained out. Hopefully tomorrow. Hope you are enjoying the holiday and GOD BLESS all our troops!!!!!!!

Cheers

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nosler partition is my favorite bullet but only in .270 and up...

Small calibers don't work for me with Noslers in that they have a small cross section expanded or if the blow off the front portion, you get a tracking job and sometimes little if any blood..I learned this the hard way based on a number of kills, sometimes they worked but often they were less than desirable....

Id opt for a good cup and core bullet such as Sierra, Speer or Hornady, or a GS Customs HVHP.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
The Nosler partition is my favorite bullet but only in .270 and up...

Small calibers don't work for me with Noslers in that they have a small cross section expanded or if the blow off the front portion, you get a tracking job and sometimes little if any blood..I learned this the hard way based on a number of kills, sometimes they worked but often they were less than desirable....

Id opt for a good cup and core bullet such as Sierra, Speer or Hornady, or a GS Customs HVHP.

I don't see any reason at all to use partitions on deer, or any other kind of premium or semi-premium bullet. Cup and core bullets work great on deer. I learned the same lessons that Ray learned when hunting with Partitions. Frequently they leave a smaller than desirable wound channel when the nose blows off and the jacket folds up tight around the bottom half of the bullet. Cup and core bullets will shoot all the way through a deer, how much more penetration do you need? 100 gr. .264 bullets are intended for varmints. Choose at least a 120 grain .264 bullet for deer and your results will improve.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Superform load is 47.0 grains under a 125 grain Partition in a Remington case lit with WLR primer. It runs about 2850 from a 24 inch 8 twist. It is no where near max in my rifle, but it is 1/2 MOA with 5 shots and provides all the energy and expansion I need for as far as I would shoot a critter.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Task,
Dont overlook R-17. It provides the most accuracy and velocity from my 260, even with 100gr TTSX.
Bill

Posts: 211 | Location: Jasper,Ga | Registered: 19 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bo-regard:
Task,
Dont overlook R-17. It provides the most accuracy and velocity from my 260, even with 100gr TTSX.
Bill

Thanks Bill, much obliged.

After many trips to the loading bench and just as many unsuccessful trips to the range with mid-weight bullets, I took the rifle back to the LGS (big fans of the 6.5's) and asked them to shoot it with their loads. Which they did. No luck. This rifle was replaced with a Finnlight in 25-06. Initial test loads are encouraging considering the break-in period. Another trip to the range scheduled for tomorrow - 25-06 and Tikka Lite in .243.

Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a 260 for a long time but never shot many different bullets.The ttsx is the only 100gr bullet I have ever used on deer,wt and and mule deer.With a mv of about 3300fps with win 760 I have never recovered a bullet.In my experience,the 120gr NBT and sierra pro hunter are hard to beat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Using Fallow Bucks .260 custom in Scotland last fall, I took two big stags using two different 140gr bullets. Just seems to me that the 6mm asks for the 140 grainers.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the .260 rem. with 120's mostly with H-4350 45-45.5 grains.. the best reason is they group the best in my rifle. this is a good load with plenty of punch I know at least to 315 yards..

Posts: 1132 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a world of deer with the 250 Savage and 6x45 to fell comfortable with any bullet from 85 grs. to 117 in the 250..I shot several deer with the 6x45 and 85 gr. GS custom monolithic HPs and they all dropped on the spot..

The one thing I usually do with 6mm, and perhaps a 6.5 perhaps, don't know, but sometimes these smaller caliber don't leave a blood trail and can be hard and sometimes impossible to track as they bleed out inside..I only use the 6x45 in open country for that reason..I have seen this happen more than a few times with the 243..I have never shot a 260 Rem. so I am flying by the seat of my pants with this post, but would bet dollars to donuts that Im not too far off...I have however never had a problem with the 250-3000 nor do I know of one, my whole family used it for many years on deer and elk..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote