New
Find
Notify
Tools

7 RUM Into 6.5 RUM?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
To begin, I’m a lefty who bought several left hand Remington LSS rifles new to use as action donors for builds. Thinking about joining the 6.5 craze and I had settled on 6.5 PRC but now need the experts opinion. Would I be better using the RUM action/7 RUM brass and have Lex at Rifles build be a 6.5 RUM? Is it an easy process to resize the brass? I understand I could build a more compact rifle using less powder if I went with the PRC. Also I’m sure the barrel life is much better as well. If these things aren’t critical is there any reason NOT to go with the 6.5 RUM? Thanks for your input!

Dave

Posts: 297 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Lex builds it, it will shoot for sure.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1BigDeer:
To begin, I’m a lefty who bought several left hand Remington LSS rifles new to use as action donors for builds. Thinking about joining the 6.5 craze and I had settled on 6.5 PRC but now need the experts opinion. Would I be better using the RUM action/7 RUM brass and have Lex at Rifles build be a 6.5 RUM? Is it an easy process to resize the brass? I understand I could build a more compact rifle using less powder if I went with the PRC. Also I’m sure the barrel life is much better as well. If these things aren’t critical is there any reason NOT to go with the 6.5 RUM? Thanks for your input!

Dave

Necking down the 28 Nosler would be a better option IMO. I don't think the 7 RUM has any advantage over the 28 Nosler and this way you would have a lot more flexibility in terms of seating and OAL.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I got a buddy that built a 6.5 RUM several years ago. Never got the velocities he was hoping for. I figured it might with a 30+ inch barrel.

Now he loves the 270 RUM and says he can hold in the middle of a deer to 400yds shooting 110 grain Barnes. He built a 7MM RUM when Remington came out with the 300 RUM. Believe he had the first reamer built for it.

Knowing him he probably only tried light for caliber bullets though. Just might work with heavy for caliber bullets.

Let us know.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chambering for a 6.5 RUM won't necessarily buy you any more velocity than a .26 Nosler, 6.5 STW, or even a plain old .264. All have case capacities that are larger than optimal for the bore size, and incremental increases in case capacity at this point are less important to velocity than the nature of the bore itself. A "fast barrel" in a .264 may yield as much, or practically as much, velocity as a "slow barrel" in a 6.5 RUM. Builders of such large-capacity cartridges try to make up for this by increasing the barrel length, but overlook the fact that the longer barrel would also increase velocities from the smaller cartridge, too.

Regardless, I understand the desire to utilize your actions made for the RUM. The 8mm Rem Mag/7mm STW case would fit and function just as well as an RUM case and would be less expensive, so I think I would recommend that case to get you 99% of the performance you would achieve with a 6.5RUM. You'll still burn plenty of powder and generate ample muzzle blast.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
best you can do with an Ultra Mag action is build a .338 ultra mag. By the way, the 6.5PRC is awesome. Built on a short action as intended it becomes the ultimate mountain rifle with punch. VLDs are ok, but 140 grain .264 Nosler Partition from a short action 24" barrel at 3050 is devastating, and still mashing at 500 yards.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
I read about one on another forum. He got a useful barrel life of about 200 rounds

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all of your inputs and great ideas. I’m no closer to a decision now but if I wanted all out performance I’d have Lex build the 26 Nosler. For all the other reasons I’d go with the PRC. This will require more thought, but again thanks!

Dave

Posts: 297 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1BigDeer:
I appreciate all of your inputs and great ideas. I’m no closer to a decision now but if I wanted all out performance I’d have Lex build the 26 Nosler. For all the other reasons I’d go with the PRC. This will require more thought, but again thanks!

Dave

I have a 28 Nosler and am very impressed. Getting 3000 fps with Berger 190s with no sign of pressure. Very accurate.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you just bored or need to get a job?? rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
eply

I had Virgin Valley build a 6.5 rum encore barrel for me 17 years ago. 29" and it was fast. Brass was as simple as necking down 300 rum brass in a single step.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote