New
Find
Notify
Tools

Creedmoor
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
All right, I did it after saying I wouldn’t. I made a little trade for a Browning X-Bolt Hell’s Canyon Speed in 6.5 Creedmore. Shot it today for the first time. At 100, 3 shots are basically in the same hole using factory Win Ammo. I’m sold on the caliber in this rifle. Just incredible.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
All right, I did it after saying I wouldn’t. I made a little trade for a Browning X-Bolt Hell’s Canyon Speed in 6.5 Creedmore. Shot it today for the first time. At 100, 3 shots are basically in the same hole using factory Win Ammo. I’m sold on the caliber in this rifle. Just incredible.

I think 6.5 creedmoor has caught on cause it an accurate round that comes in accurate modern new rifles that are all over the price spectrum but all deliver.

Great buy - I have looked at that gun in left hand.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found the 6.5 Creedmoor to be an accurate, low recoiling, enjoyable cartridge. And for the record, I don't think it will kill an elephant at 2000 yards. It's just a good medium game round, easy on the shoulder and fun to shoot.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hogfarmer:
I found the 6.5 Creedmoor to be an accurate, low recoiling, enjoyable cartridge. And for the record, I don't think it will kill an elephant at 2000 yards. It's just a good medium game round, easy on the shoulder and fun to shoot.

Yep, my 260 Rem. just punishes my shoulder.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I one thing I really like about the Hells Canyon Speed is the muzzle break. In the 6.5 it’s like shooting a .223. Plus it’s just so lightweight and the stock feels so good in the hand.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to disparage anyones decision to own a 260 vs. a 6.5 CM, BUT, if the Remington came in a 1/8 twist barrel AND the factory ammo for it was as accurate at the same price the creedmoor ammo is, it might have survived. But, the truth is, that it will continue to die an all but certain death.

Posts: 288 | Location: AL | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At least most people know how to spell "260 Remington".

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[quote
]Yep, my 260 Rem. just punishes my shoulder.Frank[/quote]
'
yea,.. mine to LOL...

I have shot my 260 rem. for about 15 years or so. and to tell you the truth I really don't see any difference in a hinting load out to 4 or 500 hundred yards. Plus I don't load 140's I load 120,s for deer size game

Posts: 1132 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
so the creedmore is a good round but but but give some credit to the rifles of today - cnc machining has made a hellova difference - marketing aside i really doubt that anybody could tell the difference between the creedmore and most other rounds providing the rifle was the same as far as i can see marketing is most powerful

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:
Originally posted by hogfarmer:

Yep, my 260 Rem. just punishes my shoulder.

I really like the .260 as well. Shot my Scotland Stags with a .260 that belongs to Kiri. It just seems there are so many more choices with the Creed. I haven’t shot one, but I’ve read where the Ruger American in 6.5 Creed is a great rifle for about $400. Now my Browning Hells Canyon Speed is more than double that price, but I have just gotten the X-Bolt bug.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now, understand me: I'm no evangelist for the Creedmoor gospel. I can't work up any affection for stubby cartridges. I own big, meaty, long-action rifles and that's the way I like it. I have no connection to the author of the linked article, nor do I want to agree with his proposition. BUT, that being said, here's one man's explanation as to why the 6.5 Creedmoor is more accurate than the .264 Magnum:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/65...hester-magnum#page-3

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am buying hornady eld-x for $20 a box. Hornady 6.5 creedmoor brass is .80 a round.

I have never seen 260 Remington ammo for sale at academy. At Christmas they had 6.5 ammo in bulk as a special.

I will probably shoot 600-1000 rounds of creedmoor this year. My Blaser k95 6.5 single shot is probably my favorite rifle to shoot.

I am glad for the 6.5 and it’s universal availability.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot the Hells Canyon Speed again today using the factory Hornady 143 ELDX. Largest group with hot Barrel was 1.03”. Best group was just under 1/4”. What a shooter. It did shoot the Win in 125gr better, smaller groups, basically cloverleafs. But the 143 will be my primary hunting bullet. Just a great rifle.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
It seems like every rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor will stack the bullet holes. I love the caliber. We have a local 1000y shooting range that also does a tactical 600y competition and I plan on trying that out.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple 6.5 Creedmoors and they're shooters. That's NOT to say there are not other great rounds that will shoot well out of modern rifle.

With that said, for my use of this round, there's not much better suited. 600-1000 yard gong dinger without much rip snort is just fun with this little thing.

Yes, I've shot a couple deer and 7 coyotes with the thing but I'd rather use a 280 AI, 270 WSM or 6.5 X 280 AI on deer and my 223 or 20 Practical on coyotes.... but on targets, I'll take the Creedmoor for it's serious fun factor.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
Muzzle brake on a 6.5.
That's funny.

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 851 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SkiBumplus3:
Muzzle brake on a 6.5.
That's funny.

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

I can watch bullet holes form at 100 yards with my muzzle braked 6.5 Creedmoor.

Never understood it until a few years ago either. Thought it was silly. But now I am watching my shots and smiling.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too. Suppressors make shooting easier and more fun. I use them on everything up to .375 HH. Once you use one, you will not go back.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Me too. Suppressors make shooting easier and more fun. I use them on everything up to .375 HH. Once you use one, you will not go back.

My suppressed Tikka 6.5CM is more than a joy to shoot. I'm a reloader, but haven't found a factory round that it won't shoot 1" or better, and watching bullet impacts is very informative, and lots of fun. If a guy is 100% a handloader the 260 vs CM debate can be had from now on. Most people aren't. It is an inherently accurate cartridge and a great killer with the right bullets.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a T/C Compass in 6.5 C. Very disappointed in the accuracy, even with the handloads I have tried, but I have not done a lot of development. Interested in any personal experiences with this rifle.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like muzzlew brakes, they make shooting more fun, you will shoot better, and when you age you will be free of bursitis, Im living proof of bursitis from shooting big bores..Had I to do it over, Id change two things in my life, Id wear ear protection and use muzzle brakes on all guns..Today with damage done, and a bad attitude I mostly don't use either when hunting, because its just too late to worry about..but sure do like them at the bench and varmit hunting where many shots are fired in a day..

As to the creedmoore, all I can say is why do they keep picking on the 250-3000, oh well!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SkiBumplus3:
Muzzle brake on a 6.5.
That's funny.

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

My thought

Posts: 222 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
I bought a T/C Compass in 6.5 C. Very disappointed in the accuracy, even with the handloads I have tried, but I have not done a lot of development. Interested in any personal experiences with this rifle.
Peter.

No idea if the t/c but I would get a sauer 100 for $600 in 6.5. They are exception value guns and 6.5 is a blast to shoot.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Peter.

They are a known commodity as junk. I am sorry your rifle didn't shoot.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are a known commodity as junk

Now you tell me!!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the local gunshops had 40 of them as Christmas presents for $200.

They sold out!

But, tons of reviews on Youtube and other forums talking about how bad they suck.

Barrels suck, triggers suck, stocks really suck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 Creedmore is a lie. I hate the hype surrounding it.

The 6.5 Creedmore with 120 grain zeroed at 200 yards drops 9 inches at 300 yards.
The 270 Winchester with 130 grain zeroed at 200 yards drops 8.2 inches at 300 yards.
The 30/06 with with 165 grain zeroed at 200 yards drops 9 inches at 300 yards.
The 308 Win with 150 grain zeroed at 200 yards drops 9 inches at 300 yards.
The 300 Win Mag with 180 grain zeroed at 200 yards drops 8.3 inches at 300 yards.

The 6.5 Creedmore shoots no flatter that anything else and is nothing the 260 Remington or 6.5x55 Swede are.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
The 6.5 Creedmore is a lie. I hate the hype surrounding it.

The 6.5 Creedmore with 120 grain zeroed at 200 yards drops 9 inches at 300 yards.
The 270 Winchester with 130 grain zeroed at 200 yards drops 8.2 inches at 300 yards.
The 30/06 with with 165 grain zeroed at 200 yards drops 9 inches at 300 yards.
The 308 Win with 150 grain zeroed at 200 yards drops 9 inches at 300 yards.
The 300 Win Mag with 180 grain zeroed at 200 yards drops 8.3 inches at 300 yards.

The 6.5 Creedmore shoots no flatter that anything else and is nothing the 260 Remington or 6.5x55 Swede are.

Another case of Creedmoor Derangement Syndrome (CDS).

If you want to hate the 6.5 Creedmoor, so be it, but to deny the fact that it’s a good target and hunting cartridge (for its intended applications) is unfounded. It is the equal—yet not superior—of the .260 Remington as a hunting cartridge, as the target advantages of the Creedmoor won’t show up until out past 500 yards. The Creedmoor works better in the confines of a short-action magazine, as the case is short enough to handle the longer ogive bullets, where others have trouble with the seating depth.

The United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) recently conducted a study comparing the 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Remington, and .308 Winchester cartridges and they came to a similar conclusion. Compared to the current M118 Special Ball Long Range .308 Winchester load (a 175gr Sierra MatchKing Boattail Hollow Point) currently used by special operations snipers, the 6.5 Creedmoor had less recoil, doubled hit probability at 1,000 meters, had a 33% longer effective range, retained 30% more energy at 1,000 meters, and had 40% less wind drift at 1,000 meters.

It is a good choice for the target shooter who wants long barrel life, superb accuracy and the ability to hit targets out to 1,500 yards and beyond, and it is a great choice for medium sized game with the proper bullets. To deny that is kidding yourself.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 6.5 CM with a 140 grain Accubond drops 214 inches at 1000 yards.

A 270 Win with a 140 grain Accbond drops 171 inches at 1000 yards using average loads for both cartridges.

In the case of the 270, BC of the 6.5 does not over come the speed of the 270.

In other cartridges that is not quite true.

A lot of people, some very knowledgeable have championed the creedmoor as some kind of laser it really is not. It is not as flat shooting as the 243 or 270.

I like it, I have a really nice on built on an American Rifle Company action with a Greybull Precision stock, and a Huber trigger with a big 8.5-25 Leupold VXIII first focal plane scope in MILS. It has a brake on it, and it shoots 1/4 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

The best thing is it doesn't really matter what ammunition I feed it.

Ammunition for the Creedmoor is cheap! Like several people said above, you can regularly get match grade ammo for $20 a box. You can buy Barnes X, Nosler Accubond and other premium bullets for about $28-35 depending on how hard you look.

It is cheap to shoot, doesn't kick, isn't so fast as to wear a barrel out in 1200 rounds and has really great accuracy.

If my little 6mm BR was as cheap to shoot I might be swayed to point someone in that direction, but factory ammo is $80-100 a box when you can find it.

I don't care if someone doesn't like it, but I do not understand the hate it gets.

In 2011 I built a 6.5x47 Lapua, I lived in Australia at the time and it was a good cartridge based on availability there. If I had lived in Europe the hot cartridge of the day was the 6mm Swiss Match. The 6XC took over in Europe, and the 6.5 Creedmoor has really took over stateside.

For Precision Rifle Competitions like PRS and National Rifle League, I think the best feature of the Creedmoor is it's low cost of ammo. Shooting a boutique round like a 6mm XC, 6mm Swiss, 6.5x47 or some wildcat just makes your life harder.

I will say I don't think it is an elk round. But you do with it what you need to do with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
See BWW post regarding the 270 Win and 6.5?Creedmore with 140 grain bullets over distance.

The 6.5 Creedmore is a lie. It sends projectiles down range no better/flatter than any other standard cartridge.

I will gladly accept Creedmore Derangement Syndrome. The facts are facts. At least, I do not have Creedmore Fever. Creedmore Fever is deadly to common sense.

The results of the test you cite first broke in favor of the 260 Remington. They just kept testing until the Creedmore showed a statical advantage that no one can harness.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it, and I agree that it would be a much better sniper rifle cartridge than the 308. You really have to hate your life to pick a 308 as a sniper rifle cartridge because of how bad it sucks in the wind, and the cartridge has more of a rainbow arc than the 6.5 CM.

It causes a lot of people to get the vapors in both bad and good ways, to me it is just a nice shooting, cheap to shoot, low kicking, accurate cartridge.

If I could buy a 6XC or 6mm BR factory rifle anywhere in town, and buy ammo for $20 a box I'd blow it off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

The 6.5 Creedmore is a lie.

The more you say this, the more you prove how clueless you are on the subject. You must have been victim to some Creedmoor goupies picketing your house, showing up at your door with literature demanding you buy one, or something similar.

If you don't like it fine, to say it is a "lie" is ridiculous.

https://sofrep.com/news/socom-...adlier-6-5mm-rounds/

The 6.5mm Creedmoor round was selected after SOCOM surveyed 25 different potential cartridge replacements for the 7.62x51mm NATO round. The test showed that soldiers firing the 6.5mm round were around twice as likely to hit targets at ranges up to 1,000 meters. The tests also revealed a 33% increase in effective range with the 6.5mm, along with less felt recoil. SOCOM ultimately decided on the round after it also passed a reliability test in both FN SCAR-H and M110 SASS rifles, confirming that it was at least as reliable as existing ammunition options.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JG: I am assuming you are speaking in jest. Please, tell me how the lie of the Creedmore being a super flat(to the exclusion of standard cartridges listed above) is a death bringer to 600, 800, 1000, 1200 yards is not a lie?

Tell me how it shoots measurably or even statically flatter to 300 yards then the cartridges I listed previously.

It does not shoot flatter than the 270 Win. It really does not shoot flatter than the 30/06. The drop in inches provide by BWW and myself are fact. The drop is not opinion.

That is indisputable. The Creedmore shoots no flatter than anything else. The fact is the initial testing was won by the 260 Remington.

I am glad you like it. I hate the hype.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you even read any of the things I posted, really read them? Did you see any mention of "500 yds" in my examples. Read it again.

Also, I never said, nor has anyone in this thread said it was the "flattest" shooting cartridge ever invented. If so I completely missed it. That must be the "lie" you are referring to? In the many list of attributes of the 6.5CM, not once is "flattest shooting cartridge ever" ever mentioned. You said that, not me or in any of my examples.

As far as the 260Rem goes, they are pretty much a ballistic twin with the same bullets. If a guy is a serious handloader then I may even concede the 260 "may" be a pubic hair faster, but it is still basically a ballistic twin to the 6.5CM. If you're not a handloader, and by far the majority of hunters and shooters aren't, the the 6.5CM wins and it isn't even close.

I'm betting you've never even owned one, much less shot one and worked up loads for it. My favorite is 46.9gr RL26 with a 147 ELDM running 2710 at the muzzle. Put that in your ballistic calculator.

Why don't you list for us the "hype" associated with the 6.5CM. Be specific and site sources.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did read. I hate the hype. The selling of the Creedmore is of a death ray that makes the standard 30/06, 270 win, 300 win mag, 260 Rem obsolete.

Thank you for agreeing the 260 Remington is everything maybe a hair faster than the Creedmore.

The 6.5 Creedmore does nothing the 260 Remington does not do. The old 6.5 Swede before. The 6.5 Creedmore shoots no flatter than anything else.

You can buy my 6.5 Creedmore. I will never buy one.

Glad you like yours.

I am waiting for the 30 TC to be reintroduced as the 30 Creedmore. I will roll my eyes at that too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem with the 260 is it has long been crippled (like the 6mm Remington before it) with the wrong twist for heavier VLD bullets.

The Swede never had this problem. The Scandanavians all shoot the 6.5x55 in service rifle competitions and 300 CISM. It is a popular rifle cartridge there. A couple buddies of mine in Norway both shoot 6.5x55s hunting and in competition.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington has a habit of poor twist rates.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will say this about the 6.5 Creedmoor over the 260. The Creedmoor was designed to fit in m14, AR-10, and short action AICS magazines and use VLD 140 grain bullets.

There are many bullets in a 260 that will not fit in those magazines.

The 6.5 Swede has been built in long action rifles for a long time. Plenty of room for big bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter at all to me what people like, don't like, or use. However, I get a big kick out of the CDS experts who offer comments and expertise about something they've never owned, or even shot for that matter, simply regurgitating what they read somewhere. That is laughable IMO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please, tell me anything I have said about the hype of the 6.5 Creedmore is not true. It shoots no flatter than most, and does not shoot flatter than the 270 Win.

I have shot just about everything from M2 carbines to 505 Gibbs. Owned most of them.

I seriously doubt you have shot more different type of firearms and cartridges than me.

If the 6.5 Creedmore was sold honestly as a low recoiling cartridge with the trajectory of a 30/06 making it a fine deer cartridge over 300 yards, then I would not have a problem with it.

But that would not sell rifles and cartridges. Folks would just buy a 270 or 30/06. We all know how the 6.5 Creedmore is marketed. That hype is wrong.

I do own a 6.5 Swede. Same thing.