New
Find
Notify
Tools

Creedmoor
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slick marketing of a good cartridge. Not being recoil sensitive, I'll stick with my 7mm WSM which is superior in every department. Loading the 6.5x55 to 55K, it will easily compete with the CM.

The CM...Not revolutionary but thoroughly interesting.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This thread has become pointless, or perhaps it was pointless to start with...As to the creedmore, I don't have one so my experience is pointless it was pointed out, but homer I have owned and shot the 260, the 6.5 sweede, and the 6.5/06 both standard and IMp.. Is that not experience suitably for the Creedmore??

I never said a bad word about the Creedmore, I think its a fine low recoiling suitable for deer and even elk when used properly, with proper bullets and at up to 150 yards give or take..and thats exactly what it is..Like all small to medium calibers your limited by range and if you ignore that you will wound elk IMO..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was at a friends house last week and saw a program on the Outdoor Channel. It was a shooting competition using a variety of positions, but using a rest of various kinds. You had to shoot at a variety of ranges (up to 800 yards), but you were timed, so shooting fast was a factor. The rifles used were custom rifles but looked like bolt action, AR type rifles. Interestingly enough, all the rifles were in 6mm or 6.5mm! Not hunting I know, but hits on steel targets ("8") at 800 yards were quite common, so the guys knew they trajectories, and the accuracy of their rigs out to that range.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonP:
Slick marketing of a good cartridge. Not being recoil sensitive, I'll stick with my 7mm WSM which is superior in every department. Loading the 6.5x55 to 55K, it will easily compete with the CM.

I agree that it is a slick cartridge. As far as the marketing goes, it actually took a few years for it catch on. I’m not a long range target or big game shooter, so I’ll likely not bother to ever get one. The several older and less efficient I play with still work for me for the kind of shooting/hunting I would do with the Creedmoor. I don’t understand the hate, though. Seems to me like any rational person would have to see how very good a round it is, and it’s positive attributes are helping a lot of new hunters and shooters enjoy hunting and shooting. I have an irrational dislike for the 243 because of how it supplanted the 257 Roberts. However, I see the 243’s undeniable positives, and won’t try to steer anyone away from it. Folks get uptight about the dumbest things.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
quote:
Originally posted by JonP:

I agree that it is a slick cartridge. As far as the marketing goes, it actually took a few years for it catch on. I’m not a long range target or big game shooter, so I’ll likely not bother to ever get one. The several older and less efficient I play with still work for me for the kind of shooting/hunting I would do with the Creedmoor. I don’t understand the hate, though. Seems to me like any rational person would have to see how very good a round it is, and it’s positive attributes are helping a lot of new hunters and shooters enjoy hunting and shooting. I have an irrational dislike for the 243 because of how it supplanted the 257 Roberts. However, I see the 243’s undeniable positives, and won’t try to steer anyone away from it. Folks get uptight about the dumbest things.

I agree Matt. In a world full of things worth being troubled about, digging in on a popular new(er) rifle cartridge is a waste of time.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had no idea when I started this thread that it would cover 4 pages and over 8000 views. This is obviously hot topic.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So can you make 6.5 Creedmore cases from .243 brass if so what steps are required?? My grandson has Creedmore and I have a lot of 243 brass..Might make him a handsome present..

I looked at a nice little wood stocked satin Stainless steel metal creedmore that was pretty fetching and can't get it out of my mind!!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well MD, you have to realize that much of the commentary was about:
bring back the good ol' 243
what about the good ol' 257R
etc. etc. rather than actual experience with the cartridge.
I had a Sako heavy barrel in 243 that I could never get to shoot. I had a Remington 700 in 6.5x55. Same result. I had a 257R. Can't remember the make. Ditto. In my case, I bought a factory gun for $299 that shoots factory ammo into sub MOA groups! That's Ok with me!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
I've read all 4 pages of this diatribe. It's gotten pretty windy.... Smiler

By the way, it's "CREEDMOOR" !

Not Creedmore or Creedmor

Maybe put a postem on your screen for future use....

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Well MD, you have to realize that much of the commentary was about:
bring back the good ol' 243
what about the good ol' 257R
etc. etc. rather than actual experience with the cartridge.
I had a Sako heavy barrel in 243 that I could never get to shoot. I had a Remington 700 in 6.5x55. Same result. I had a 257R. Can't remember the make. Ditto. In my case, I bought a factory gun for $299 that shoots factory ammo into sub MOA groups! That's Ok with me!
Peter.

I dearly love the 6.5x55. I first taught my wife how to shoot with an M38 Swedish Mauser. The 257 Roberts and 7x57 are dear to me as well. All three can be very finicky, and often require judicious hand loading to get the most out of them. I, personally, don’t mind that, and find it fun. The 6.5 Creedmoor was designed, from the ground up, taking into consideration what we learned over the past 115 years (1893-2008) between the two. I’m sure there are some finicky 6.5 Creedmoor rifles out there, but much fewer and far between than any of the early Mauser rounds. If I were a new shooter/hunter the 6.5 CM would be a no brainer, just like the 308 and ‘06 are. It may not yet have a storied history or soul, but it works just as intended. Get over it, already!

BTW: I have never owned a 6.5 creedmoor, and may never own one.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to flagellate the deceased equine, but the BC (G1) of a 175gr. 308 bullet is around .5, while the BC of a 140 gr 6.5 bullet is around .6. I believe that the velocity of the 140 gr. 6.5 Cm round is greater than the 175gr. 308 round as well.
Not that it matters!
I am thinking of getting an AR10 built in .308, but now I might seriously consider one in 6.5 Cm!
Peter

one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
Peter,

Recoil will be considerably less with the Creed too, making it that much more user friendly....

one of us
posted Hide Post
To start with steel targets don't bleed, and they are shot at given ranges, not off hand or over a rock at unknow distances in various windy canyons. therefore like much of this conversation, it holds no water!. beer

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, I think the creedmoor would make a good coyote gun in that windy Owyhee desert of Idaho that blows the 22.s off target on a mid to bad day..I shoot my 6x45, but the 6.5 is long and stable would hold up better across those sage brush flats..MIght give the Creedmoor a try..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Here is my AR-10 companion.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
quote:
e

Richj'

That dog'll hunt! Nice setup!
I've killed two big cow elk with the 129 IL's and several big blacktails...good choice whether factory or by hand.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was a little boy, my uncles would sit around drinking beer, then someone mentioned what a POS a Chevy was..Yeah..Ford vs Chevy...darn near came to fisticuffs!

Posts: 3450 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
When I was a little boy, my uncles would sit around drinking beer, then someone mentioned what a POS a Chevy was..Yeah..Ford vs Chevy...darn near came to fisticuffs!

Yep, folks arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyPhD:
Are many people actually touting the 6.5 CM as an elk gun? I must be out of touch with the current rants of the gun writers. I wouldn't take it elk hunting, or even red stag in NZ if I ever go again. Of course it will kill one, but why get into that debate. It's significantly less than ideal, simple as that. I'd be much more comfortable with at least a 30-06. It seems like every time The topic of the CM comes up, folks need to proclaim it's not a 400 yd. elk gun. Of course it isn't! Neither is a 243, or a 25-06, or a 257 Bee, or even a 270 (I know, there may be disagreement there, but it's not my idea of a long range elk gun). If there are gun writers trying to claim it is a good choice for that, well, that's just stupid. Guess that would be the first time gun writers wrote something stupid. Remember Roy Weatherby shooting Cape buffalo with his 257?

quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I posted that I "preferred" the 250 to the Creedmore and admitted the Creedmore bested the 250 with both bullet weight and velocity...Thats written in stone, I still prefer the 250 and I also stated for no particular reason..and yes Raider I have no experience with the Creedmore..but like the 250 the creedmore is not a long range elk rifle, like the 250 its a 200 yard elk rifle and 100 yards is better, and if you push either beyond that you will lose a elk now and then...I may not know any more than LHeymn about the Creedmore, but we both know elk...Some guys out there are doing long range shooting on elk with the creedemore on Television and they not showing the whole story..I use the 250 or 25-35, even a 30-30 to shoot cow elk in alfalfa patches on depretory hunts but for trophy bulls in the Selway I use the 30-06 or 338 and even a 375..

Creedmore is a grand caliber, just too much over jealous gossip being passed on..Grand deer gun and cows in the alfalfa patch..

You just summed up why I am not a fan of the 6.5 Needmore. Way too many koolaid drinkers think it is a long range elk cartridge, and that is a bad thing. It is an adequate cartridge for small to medium sized elk at reasonable ranges and nothing more. I love the 6.5 caliber, but I’ll stick with the .264WM, it’s significantly ‘more’ when it comes to that caliber. Still, the .264 is not a long range elk cartridge, especially when talking big, old bulls of 900+ lbs. If it isn’t, a Needmore sure as hell isn’t.

The thing is like most about the 6.5 Needmore is the resurgence of interest it created in that caliber, and the resulting wealth of good .264 bullet choices we now have as a result.

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyPhD:
Are many people actually touting the 6.5 CM as an elk gun? I must be out of touch with the current rants of the gun writers. I wouldn't take it elk hunting, or even red stag in NZ if I ever go again. Of course it will kill one, but why get into that debate. It's significantly less than ideal, simple as that. I'd be much more comfortable with at least a 30-06. It seems like every time The topic of the CM comes up, folks need to proclaim it's not a 400 yd. elk gun. Of course it isn't! Neither is a 243, or a 25-06, or a 257 Bee, or even a 270 (I know, there may be disagreement there, but it's not my idea of a long range elk gun). If there are gun writers trying to claim it is a good choice for that, well, that's just stupid. Guess that would be the first time gun writers wrote something stupid. Remember Roy Weatherby shooting Cape buffalo with his 257?

quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I posted that I "preferred" the 250 to the Creedmore and admitted the Creedmore bested the 250 with both bullet weight and velocity...Thats written in stone, I still prefer the 250 and I also stated for no particular reason..and yes Raider I have no experience with the Creedmore..but like the 250 the creedmore is not a long range elk rifle, like the 250 its a 200 yard elk rifle and 100 yards is better, and if you push either beyond that you will lose a elk now and then...I may not know any more than LHeymn about the Creedmore, but we both know elk...Some guys out there are doing long range shooting on elk with the creedemore on Television and they not showing the whole story..I use the 250 or 25-35, even a 30-30 to shoot cow elk in alfalfa patches on depretory hunts but for trophy bulls in the Selway I use the 30-06 or 338 and even a 375..

Creedmore is a grand caliber, just too much over jealous gossip being passed on..Grand deer gun and cows in the alfalfa patch..

You just summed up why I am not a fan of the 6.5 Needmore. Way too many koolaid drinkers think it is a long range elk cartridge, and that is a bad thing. It is an adequate cartridge for small to medium sized elk at reasonable ranges and nothing more. I love the 6.5 caliber, but I’ll stick with the .264WM, it’s significantly ‘more’ when it comes to that caliber. Still, the .264 is not a long range elk cartridge, especially when talking big, old bulls of 900+ lbs. If it isn’t, a Needmore sure as hell isn’t.

The thing I like most about the 6.5 Needmore is the resurgence of interest it created in that caliber, and the resulting wealth of good .264 bullet choices we now have as a result.

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote