New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5Cm the new 6.5x54MS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Having been away from hunting for five years. I see the 6.5CM is the latest 'must have cartridge' with similar ballistics to the 6.5x54MS.
Has anyone loaded 160's in the Creedmore for close in hunting ?

People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot factory Hornady 143 gr from my 6.5 CM from a Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon. It actually shoots the 125 gr factory Win Ammo more accurately, but I want the 143 for hunting and it is still sub MOA.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your not supposed to use the Creed close in. It doesn't have enough energy. At 1000 yards it is only 75 foot pounds behind the 300 Winnie, so there's where you start, 1K and beyond. Close in work indeed. You HAVE been out of the game a while! I don't think anybody really shoots anything inside of 600 yards anymore.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quintus:
Your not supposed to use the Creed close in. It doesn't have enough energy. At 1000 yards it is only 75 foot pounds behind the 300 Winnie, so there's where you start, 1K and beyond. Close in work indeed. You HAVE been out of the game a while! I don't think anybody really shoots anything inside of 600 yards anymore.

Pathetic try Troll. Fail.

People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like sarcasm to something some people do not understand

Posts: 19360 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in the day the 6.5x54MS was a long range cartridge. As were the .30 WCF and .30-03.

The definition of "long range" has changed - if in spurts - over the years. Imagine it will continue to do so.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thx Sam. Just put the last two clowns on Ignore. I guess the norm is follow convention and stick with 140 as max.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The old Scottish stalkers loved the 6.5x54MS and the 6.5x53R with the 160 grain bullet as they said you could hear if it had been a good hit or not. The bullet flying at a speed slow enough that there was time aplenty between the bang and the bullet striking the deer. So they could tell by that sound if it was a good hit.

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I load the 160 rn in my 260 rem and use it to shoot whitetail. The creedmore should be no different. Use what you want.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 160 G. Hornady R.N. in my 6.5x54 M/S. : I know you were asking an honest question but to us Mannlicher addicts the comparison seems somewhat sacrilegist. Big Grin

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I shoot the 160 G. Hornady R.N. in my 6.5x54 M/S. : I know you were asking an honest question but to us Mannlicher addicts the comparison seems somewhat sacrilegist. Big Grin

I hear you brother.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems that these 2 cartridges are far enough apart to not be that comparable. It seems that the M-S is loaded to 2000-2100 fps in deference to the age and somewhat weaker actions of the rifle. The Creedmore is capable of velocities in excess of 2400 fps with the 160 gr bullet using modern actions.

This is enough velocity difference to possibly cause problems with some bullets made with the lower velocities in mind. That being said, I've heard that the 160 gr Hornady may be a little tough for M-S velocities. If that is true, it should make a deadly combo in the Creedmore in closer quarters.

I have yet to take a deer with the 160 gr bullets so cannot state the above from personal experience. I've only taken deer with 139 gr factory loads to this point, but have now used them up and will only hunt with my 160 gr RN reloads in the future.

Us M-S owners/users probably all share NormanConquest's reference to our addiction. Despite having been a member of that club for only a little over a year, it is strong in me. The Creedmore is a fine cartridge and has gained a boatload of followers in the short time it has been around, but it will never gain the status of the M-S in our minds.

Posts: 229 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be difficult to pick a bullet for the Creedmoor that wouldn’t kill deer effectively. With a ladder and some 160 FMJ, Bell would think it was an elephant rifle.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya, it was just a bit of sarcasm Mr. Oaks. I am actually a 260 rem guy and the 160 H and 156 Oryx are thumpers. Being basically identical to the Creed in capacity all 3 as mentioned and including the Swede to boot will all break big bones with those heavy bullets. donttroll

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting the Remington 140's and Hornady 147's out of my Bergara HMR...until the brass piles up. But probably not a rifle you'd want to carry around deer stalking...pretty heavy.

I have considered getting my 1970's Model 70 XTR .243 barreled into the 6.5C for a lighter sporter rifle in the caliber. I like it. light recoil

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Give me a 6.5x54MS any day over these modern sales motivated calibres.
In fact I've got a 6.5MS getting bit right now..

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Give me a 6.5x54MS any day over these modern sales motivated calibres.
In fact I've got a 6.5MS getting bit right now..

Right on, brother.

I feel the same way about the .257 Roberts and the 6.5x57mm Mauser.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree Mike. My favorite is my 6.5x54 M/S but that doesn't detract from my feelings for my 257 Roberts AI.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 6.5/06, later became a 6.5 Gibbs, I shot antelope and deer with it and a cow elk and two Nilgai on the KIng Ranch..I was not impressed in the least, nor is the creedmoor impressing me as anything close to the second coming, its just another 6.5 IMO..I prefer the 250-3000 or the 7x57 for that matter..The old world famous 6.5 load was a 160 gr. bullet at 2200 FPS or there abouts, all I can say is it penetrated well, but so does a 7x57, 30-06 and on an on..the creedmoor will survive for one reason alone and that is its all but void of recoil and folks will shoot it well..It is a fine deer rifle up to 300 yards in my mind. Shooting elk with it is folly and will end up with a wounded animal escaping unless one uses real judgment, places bullet properly and keeps the range to about 200 yards at most, less is better..About the same as one would do with a 250-3000 or 30-30..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 6.5x54MS came to me already scoped (with a throw-away) so I put a 4x Leupold on it and loaded the 160 Hornady; with 38 grains of H4350 it shot M.O.A. all day. If I tried to push it the groups opened up, but it never occurred to me that it was less than a precision instrument when treated with respect for what it was meant to be.
Sorry about yours!
windy

Posts: 39 | Location: far from God's country | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
ALF, you should write a book. Not kidding.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray you make me scratch my head at times.
The 6.5 on elk will result in wounded animals unless real judgment and shot placement are used..... Kind of like, any cartridge used!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alf got it right. I was shaking my head at much the stuff said here. There is no way in the world the 6.5 MS can compare to the 6.5 Creedmoor or the 260 Remington. Yeah it will shoot the longer heavier bullets better and those probably would have to be seated way deep in 6.5CM and 260 Rem. I've owned quite a few 6.5's over time. I currently have a 6.5MS build on a Savage with a premium barrel and yes it has the 8? twist. Out of the little 6.5's (what I call them) that is the 6.5MS, 6.5 Carcano, and the 6.5 Jap, the Jap is the best in my opinion. Don't tell those Scandinavian hunters bad things about shooting elk with 6.5's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
Ray you make me scratch my head at times.
The 6.5 on elk will result in wounded animals unless real judgment and shot placement are used..... Kind of like, any cartridge used!

Yeah, a 250-3000 Savage is better ? Confused

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's why they make Fords + Chevys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't tell those Scandinavian hunters bad things about shooting elk with 6.5's.

The 6,5 Mannlicher are illegal in Scandinavia for moose and Red deer, 6,5 Credmore, 6,5*55, 6,5rem with the right load are legal for biggame in Sweden. I have never had any performance problem on moose with 6,5*55.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nordic2:
quote:
Don't tell those Scandinavian hunters bad things about shooting elk with 6.5's.

The 6,5 Mannlicher are illegal in Scandinavia for moose and Red deer, 6,5 Credmore, 6,5*55, 6,5rem with the right load are legal for biggame in Sweden. I have never had any performance problem on moose with 6,5*55.

Where did you see that I said 6.5MS?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bell would probably think the 6.5CM was overpowered for elephant.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting observations about the build quality of the M-Ss over their history, Alf. I picked mine up in a small town gun store that was liquidating a deceased gentleman's collection. I knew nothing about M-Ss and I'd bet that dang few customers in that area did either. My problem occurred when I picked up the little gem and shouldered it a few times. I've always been a sucker for full stocked rifles and double set triggers, but always in Mausers. I just couldn't let the little M-S stay there.

As I later found out, that rifle was built in 1939 and I guess I lucked out. It could have been one of the sloppy ones and I'd have never known the difference. It has a 4X Hensoldt in claw mounts that was very foggy until Iron Sight Inc. cleared that up for me. (BTW, BIG shoutout to them!)

My rifle has shot very well with everything I tried in it. 1.5 MOA is fairly typical and under 1 MOA happens plenty often. The last 3 shot group I fired in it was under 1/2"....a fluke, but an awfully satisfying fluke!

But, here is the bottom line. The 6.5X54 in the 1903 M-S compares closer to the 30-30 Win than most anything out there in everyday use. A 160 gr RN bullet at 2100 fps vs a 170 gr at about the same speed. The trajectories are similar. The only real difference is that the 160 gr 6.5 bullet has a better SD and SHOULD penetrate better.

So, am I really any better walking through the woods with my 1903 than with a 94 Winchester? Most might say no but I say "HELL YEAH!". I am carrying the slickest, most perfectly balanced little walkabout carbine ever conceived by man. It is a pure joy to hunt with and I just feel good toting it! I just stay aware of the cartridge's limitations and have a great time.

Posts: 229 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote