Find
Notify
Tools

M-70 P64 .22 Hornet
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted
I just came into one of these. I really wanted a 527 because of cost, but what factory loads seem to be the best here? I know that’s an open ended question, especially with the ammo crisis, but just curious.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I think you did great going with the pre-64. Was it near the price of the 527's you were looking at?

I shot some Prvi Partizan PPU 45gr (50rd box) out of my last .22 Hornet and it was decent stuff. If you can find any, It would be my choice

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
I think you did great going with the pre-64. Was it near the price of the 527's you were looking at?

I shot some Prvi Partizan PPU 45gr (50rd box) out of my last .22 Hornet and it was decent stuff. If you can find any, It would be my choice

The 527 was maybe 1/4 the cost of the 70. It was really nice and had a NECG sight on the factory base for around $600. I stewed on it because I wasn’t sure the value and don’t like snap decisions on girls or guns. I went back the next day and it had been snapped up. Same with some girls when I walked and waited...

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I stewed on it because I wasn’t sure the value and don’t like snap decisions on girls or guns. I went back the next day and it had been snapped up. Same with some girls when I walked and waited

One thing I learned many decades ago was when a good deal comes along buy.

After losing out of a few because I thought I could get just a little bit better deal.

If the price is right buy it.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
After losing out of a few because I thought I could get just a little bit better deal.

Most of us have had the same experience.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1940 Short rifle in the M70 22 Hornet.
I love it, but the wife thinks it is to heavy so years ago I bought here a CZ527 in 22 Hornet.

Both rifles like the Speer 45 gr bullet on top of some 2400 powder.

J Wisner

Posts: 1411 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ and the factory Hornady 35 grain V-Max rounds shot very well.

Posts: 370 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Congrats. That is a great rifle.

A M70 in .22 Hornet is a grail rifle for me, but I don't want one bad enough for what they fetch these days.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The mod. 70 in hornet is a great rifle but too heavy for the caliber.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
The mod. 70 in hornet is a great rifle but too heavy for the caliber.

Dave

Too heavy and the action is waaaaay too big for the tiny hornet.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 5 of the pre-64 Hornets, in original factory form, to full blown re-barelled and custom stocked, to re-barelled and bedded in to a Featherweight stock, to converted to .222 Remington (and currently trying to convert one to .17 Hornet). To answer the original posted question, I've had success in the factory barrels with Hornady's 35 grain VMAX, Winchester 45 grain Soft Point and Remington's 30 grain Speer TNT and 35 grain AccuTip. I'm a big pre-64 M70 fan, and honestly the negatives of weight and size bring a little charm to the whole set-up for me. That said, you can put a new #1 contour, 22" barrel on one and put it in the factory Featherweight stock (synthetic would be lighter) and get a rifle that weighs 7 1/4 pounds before scope. On the .222 Rem conversion with factory Hornet barrel and Standard stock, I had the barrel cut back in front of the front sight (about 20 1/2" long) and it weighed 8 1/4 without scope. And that shot really well with a couple factory offerings (not heavier bullets due to slow barrel twist). Good luck with your rifle - I'm taking one of mine turkey hunting this weekend!

Posts: 228 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just purchased a Savage mod. 219 break open single shot in a 22 Hornet..Ive had a couple in 30-30 over the years, fun guns..If this hornet shoots good I am going to have barrel band sights added, maybe a quarte rib, drill and tap, punch it out to a Ackley Hornet, the color case action is bright and real nice, I will stock it in a peice of Turkish walnut I have on hand and add steel grip cap, pancake cheek piece and Neidner checkered butt plate..

If I ever find one in the 25-20 I will buy it and rechamber it to a 25-35. might do that to the hornet rebore and chamber to a 25-35..but I like the Hornet and so do my neighbors I suspect.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
When I was a lofty sophomore in college, in 1958, one of my friends was liquidating his small collection of rifles, including a M 1917 Enfield, an original 1862 Enfield, and a 219 Savage. I bought all three for a combined total of less than $100. The M1917 is long gone, but I still have the 1862. I had the 219 rechambered to K Hornet (my first wildcat). Later I found and bought another 219 and had it converted to .219 Zipper (sort of made sense, a 219 in caliber .219).

one of us
posted Hide Post
The one I got was clean and pretty, looked like new, but the the insides were broken, it would not shoot, the trigger didn't work, the safety didn't work, the chamber was out of round and a couple of other things, it was a parts gun...I called the seller and he said send it back, he bought it at a show and never shot of opened the action..Good guy..but now Ihave about 4 boxes of factory ammo, and 170 plus one shot emptys and a set of dies that will be on AR soon I suspect..all good stuff...Unless I run across another Hornet pretty quick..

Years ago I had a L-46 Sako in a Hornet and another in 218 Bee, thats the best ever, but alas they fetch a small fortune these days, so does the neat little Lothar Walther..

Maybe I try and find another Savage 219 or a Savage mod 23 in HOrnet, the 23 lent itself to headspace issues but if you chipped them out to a K Hornet, the problem was solved..

anyone got one to sell give me a call or email and lets talk..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my pre war m70 loves the old 45 gr. nosler found it in pawn shop!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a hornet lover, for PDs. I finally settled on two heavy barrel Anschutz model 1730. I don’t believe they’re made any more, but a great 22 hornet.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago, while living in Germany, I bought a Feinwerkbau falling block single shot in .22 Hornet which was a nail driver. However, when I brought it home, its accuracy went all to hell.

finally figured out that it was the US made brass, which isn't made to the same tolerences as European. In Germany, the .22 Hornet is used for target shooting and there is much more emphasis on accuracy.

I still have some RWS brass which I use when I want to shoot my pre-64 Model 70 Hornet. It's a gun with a unique history, since it started life as a Hornet, was converted to .222 and then back to Hornet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I had a pre 64 HOrnet, Id sell it and buy ft. knox!!!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
If I had a pre 64 HOrnet, Id sell it and buy ft. knox!!!

An original Pre-64 Hornet intact is worth quite a bit. Too many got improved to Improved Hornets or 222's. Too soon old and too late smart.

one of us
posted Hide Post
yep!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
my mod 70 in 22hornet isn't for sale unless someone comes up with really stupid $$$$$$$$$

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes they are rare nowadays.
However, you don't want to buy Ft Knox; you just want the US Bullion Depository owned by the Dept of Treasury which is a little stone building and just happens to be located on Ft Knox. (Make sure they give you the keys to the basement; that is where the gold is) Buying the entire Ft Knox Army Post will cost you a billion dollars a year to run, quickly eating up your profits from the gold. I was stationed there for several years.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote