Notify
Tools

6.5 grendel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone own or shoot one ?

Worth getting ?

Larue has a upper for $799 and I like larue rifles.

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Both mine are bolt actions. I like em just fine. Someone better versed in AR's will hopefully chime in with some useful info.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
I have an AR 6.5 Grendel that has a Stoner upper that I like real well and much cheaper.

DRSS Member

Posts: 898 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
built one; LAR sidecock upper/BCG, brownells barrel/bolt.

Posts: 6386 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine shoots very well on targets but I have not killed any thing with it.
The bullets are fantastic and you have quite a choice at your fingertips.

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered the larue upper.

Will be a fun project.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
I have four. Two big heavy AR types with long barrels, big Leupold AR scopes and Magnpul target stock, One has an early Alexander Arms Overwatch upper, free floated tubular forend, the other upper same barrel, with a Adams arms piston system, makes for a cleaner running gun. and the third AR type is a little mid length carbine again with the piston system. My fourth is a delightful little CZ 527 American sporter. I started with the caliber when brass was expensive and difficult to find, so converted a quantity of IMI 7.62x39 brass, just resize, load and fireform

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Let me say that there are rounds that won't shoot as far and there are rounds that will shoot farther.
Personally I like it and have hunted with it in a Mini Mk X bolt action for about the past 7 or 8 years and it does a super job on Whitetails.
I have the Mini Mk X, a T/C G2 rifle, a heavy barrelled AR 15 and an 18 inch barrelled AR 15 so it might seem that I like it, LOL.

Worth getting, I would definitely say yes.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
when I first saw the grendel and did some reading on it I fwelt there was a bit left on the table simpley because it was designed for the AR platform so I had a reamer made that moved the shoulder forward by .05 and changed the neck dia and throat data to make mysef a Grendel-Max.

I used a Mk X mini action for the build and lengthened the mag to give a free length of 2.475 to accomadate my 2.405 length cartridge with the 123gn a Max but later changed it to the SST with same results

This is the action with mocked up mag extension and new bolst handle

The results from 200 yd testing

The finished rifle that has taken a boat load of goats

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Garry, very fine job on "wildcatting" the Grendel!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
I run a Howa Mini action with 20" varmint barrel and B&C stock. Lovely little rifle and in the 'sporter' weight would make a great walk-about hunting rifle. With rudimentary load development I can hit gongs out to 350 yards. 123 grain projectiles seem to be the sweet spot, but the 95 V-Max would be perfect for varmints and vermin.
I bought one as I wanted a mild shooting 'super .243W' and it fits that bill perfectly.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
WIP (work in progress) Zastava, Hart -20"

Posts: 6386 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had one since 2008 I think. Mine is a 16" carbine and i'm very happy with it. It's super accurate and has taken several coyote. I haven't shot it for quite some time as I go through my different rifle cycles.
I wanted a light weight AR to carry around. My friend built a 24" heavy target AR and when we went Coyote hunting he wasn't as happy lugging that beast around as we were walking to and from the hunting areas.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Jimmy in VA
posted Hide Post
Got a contender and an AR in 6.5 Grendel
actually like the contender best, nothing moves when I squeeze the trigger. Very reassuring and don't need a follow up anyway.

think twice, shoot once

Posts: 21 | Location: Ridgelines of the Roanoke Valley | Registered: 22 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a few of them in ARs. Mine are a 18" with a heavy fluted barrel, 3-15x, JP parts etc for praire dogs/coyotes/fixed position shooting that weighs around 11.5lb with a suppressor and bipod. Other is a V7 AR that weights 5.75lb with sling, optic, suppressor, and IR laser (for pigs and coyotes and nighttime plinking). It is really handy.

This fall I built my kids a pair with those plastic KE15 lowers as whitetail/ranch rifles. One has a red dot and the other a scope, and the one with the dot weighs 5lb even, so perfect for kids. I figure it is somewhere in between a 243 and 257 roberts and fine for deer out to 200-300 yards, which is about their limit anyway.

Another appeal of this caliber used to be the steel cased ammo that was available for 25 cents a round. I still have a few cases and mine will do 10 shot groups into 1.8-2.2 moa so fine for plinking and practice. Hopefully the import ban will be reversed and we can buy it again!

I love big bores and for many years my all around rifle was a 375H&H, but I really like this caliber as it is enough for most of my uses and easy to shoot so I practice a lot more.

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote