THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Disappointment with the MS 6.5x54
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disappointment with the MS 6.5x54
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently picked up a Steyr Mannlicher in 6.5x54, at what I thought was a good deal only find there were some issues with it. It is a nice little rifle that had been used but appeared well cared for.

I got to the range yesterday with the MS. First thing I noticed was the magazine won't hold the cartridges. Almost like the shell release is stuck, which it is not. The rounds pop out as soon as you attempt place them in the magazine.

Secondly, to say that the old 6.5x54's have a generous chamber is an understatement. This one is way over sized. I may have to do a cerrosafe casting to see if it was rechambered to 6.5x55. The cases come out with a very noticeable bulge just ahead of the web area of the case. And the primers back partially out, indicating excessive head space.

I've included a picture of the cases. the one on the left is a new, unfired case. The one of the right a case fired in the rifle. I should also note that velocities ran very low. Starting loads should have run around 2000 fps and only ran around 1700-1750.

I'm in communication with the seller, who consigned it from a third party. The seller seems willing to work something out but I don't know about the owner. Have yet to hear back from the seller as to the owner's position.

I bought the rifle prior to going on a four week hitch on the slope, so technically it was here in Alaska for well past the three day inspection period. I didn't pick it up from my dealer till Friday of last week, the same day I returned from the slope. I may be stuck with it.

If that turns out to be the case, can anyone recommend a smith to duplicate the original barrel, along with sweating on the front scope base, if indeed it is sweated on, and the sights.

The old Swarovski was a nice bonus in the deal. I don't think I have ever looked through a crisper, more clear scope than that.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Mart

Don't panic just yet, run your issues past the lads at nitro-express ( I see you post there too) I'm sure someone will help and give you some solutions. Its too nice a rifle to give up on.

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know that it is little consolation but most of these have issues with overlength or oversize chambers.

I had one, the takedown, in half-stock format, maybe thirty plus years ago and its cases looked pretty much, if not actually worse, as yours.

In fact mine had severe headspace issues rather than, as does yours, a generous chamber. Which actually, yours, a generous chamber, isn't a safety problem.

At least on mine the magazine worked. Are you using factory ammunition or reloads? If reloads it may be that you could back the sizing die out to give take up the headspace form SAAMI dimensions to your rifle's actual dimensions?

If factory ammunition and if the primers are backing out I'd reject the rifle. I would not recommend messing about with shims on the bolt face (it is often there that the problem lies BTW)to take up the space.

Mine went back to the seller who refused to refund. As they sometiems do as it was "in Proof" under British Law and so I sold it at a loss.

My opinion is hat this is a "normal" chamber (yours) for these rifles and it should not affect accuracy or safety. But it doesn't look nice either.

The headspace can be addressed by re-setting a sizing die but the "belly" will be always with you.

I am sorry that the rifle isn't as you had hoped. I was just as upset...actually bloody angry...when I had the same with mine.

As you feel that the seller pretty much DID know about the issue and yet passed the rifle on.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds as though the rifle may have been converted to 6.5X57 or even .257 Roberts. You might try loading a .257 Roberts into the magazine and seeing if it stays in, then seeing if it will chamber. If it does, there is still the possibility that the rifle has been rechambered to 6.5X57, but at least you are getting closer to diagnosing the problem.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yep; when rounds jump out of the magazine spool, it often means that someone has been messing with the feed lips to make it feed larger cartridges like those with the 7mm head size. It also means that you now have a single shot rifle as this problem is hard to correct without welding and hand work. As for your big chamber, that is a bit of swell, but is not your biggest problem for now. I think.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My thought is that it may have been rechambered to 6.5x55 or 6.5x57, for what reason who knows. It may have been availability of ammo, maybe the previous owner was looking for more performance. I have been in contact with the seller so we'll see what that brings.

Prior to loading any rounds I necked all the cases up to 7mm and then neck sized them to where I had a contact on the false shoulder. I knew these rifles tended to have generous chambers but I didn't expect it to be quite so generous. That coupled with the magazine issue leads me to believe it may have been rechambered. I'll make up some dummy 6.5x57 rounds later today to perhaps make that determination. Thanks.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the "W.D.M. Bell and I have discovered the Achilles Heel of the 1903 Mannlicher-Schoenauer Club". You are in good company, being with Bell. Let's see if we can find a direction in all this.
I'm assuming you want to keep your recently purchased 1903. If so, please feel free to use these thoughts from someone who has been there, had to do that.
My first seven 1903's had the oversize chamber issue, as does yours, to one degree or another. My current 1903 doesn't, much.
And I would guess your cases are older Norma, possibly factory loads in the old wood grain and red box. The brass was notoriously soft all the way down. Some would last only one firing (and I did learn that M-S's did a great job of passing gas safely) and separate or nearly separate. I tried neck sizing only but the brass was initially so thin it did no good so, on a lot of it, it was "one and done". Even with neck sizing, the barrel shape got worked in and out and work hardened.
As far as the protruding primers, I've been there, too. My gunsmith said, and I agree, this was the typical low pressure sign. Upon ignition, the case, instead of coming back and surrounding the primer, swells to a barrel shape and the pressure is too low for it to reseat the primer. I believe you said the velocity range was @ 1750 fps rather than the advertised 21xx fps. Again, this low velocity has been typical of a lot of the older Norma ammo in many calibers I have tested.
Possible solutions: 1.) Find some RWS brass. The 6.5x54 MS RWS brass I now use is noticeably heavier than the Norma paper thin stuff. After two firings, it is still shiny and bulge free, whereas my older Norma brass, circa 1954 and 1965, is barrel shaped. RWS is $$$$$$$$$$$ but if you can afford a 1903, you surely can spring for 20 or so of what works, which is cheap in the long run.
2.) Buy some .220 Swift brass (.443"+ base) or .303 British or 30/40 Krag brass (.457"-.458" base). Then have someone (Bob Shell in Apache Junction, AZ may do it) turn down the rim and cut in an extractor groove on these cases. The .220 Swift has a nominal .443" base but it is tough stuff and should last many firings The .303 or .30/40 are .010 over the nominal 6.5x54 (.447") dimensions but with your generous chamber, they may be a nice, tight fit. If so, they will last and last. I used formed and trimmed R-P .303 brass in my 6.5x53R. The brass had some wrinkles from forming but the cases had lasted 14 reloads with no sign of coming apart when I sold the rifle. They were a tight fit and are probably still in use.
3.) You might contact Graf & Sons and order some PRVI or Hornady 6.5x54 factory ammo or PRVI brass. I have some PRVI loaded ammo but haven't fired any yet. The price is reasonable and it's worth a try. Also, Reed's Ammunition Service in Oklahoma City is selling 6.5x54 MS, $25 for 20 last I checked. I don't know what the brass is but, if it's in RWS, jump on it fast.
As to the magazine issue I have only one, probably wrong, guess. The magazines on the proprietary Mannlicher caliber chambered rifles has a maximum length of slightly more than 3". If I load 6.5x54's a little over 3", the third round always jams. Same happened with my 8x56 MS. On the 8x56 MS,I thought the mag was broken but the problem was too much OAL. Two went in but the third hung up as the rotor circled to a narrower area. I seated the bullets slightly deeper and all was well henceforward.
Hope I have been of some help in getting your nice treasure to work better for you.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually the cases were new PRVI with reloads of IMR 4350 behind Hornady 160 grain .264 RN bullets. In researching the cartridge, I followed Ken Water's advice and kept loads to 3.00 OAL.

Interestingly I just pulled the stock off and found the rifle has been rechambered to 6.5x55. The proof marks in the photo show 6.5x55 SE. I'll need a bit of help identifying the owner of the proof marks. I've never delved much into the realm of proof marks.

I'm still in email contact with the seller. I believe I'll keep the rifle but am hoping they will work with me since it was misrepresented. I bought 200 rounds of the PRVI brass in anticipation of loading for a 6.5x54. Hopefully they'll help me out with that, maybe a like amount of 6.5x55 brass.

Mart

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That explains it all right since 6.5x55 brass is even bigger than the 06 head size.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add the picture of the proof marks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mystery solved!!!

These are British Proof Marks.

Your rifle is in fact now re-chambered to 6.5x55 also known as 6.5mm Swedish. A cartrdige very popular in Europe and loaded, nowadays, by Federal or Hornady.

Now. The issue is that it is only worth what it is as a hunting rifle. Any collector value because of the re-barrel having been destroyed.

So if it isn't accurate to the level acceptable for the hunting that you do (or a possible purchaser does) then it is worth, well IMHO not a lot AND PROVIDING IT DOES THAT WITH REGULAR 6.5x55 FACTORY SPECIFICATION AMMUNITION.

Including stabilising the bullet.

But if it is accurate then provided that it can shoot REGULAR 6.5x55 and does not need oversize bullets then it is OK if you bought it for hunting.

But if it can't shoot regular 6.5x55 bullets with the normal diameter factory bullet then it is worthless to many. In other words if it is a re-chamber and not a re-barrel.

Being neither fish nor fowl nor good red herring.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am familiar with the history and origin of the 6.5x55. I am curious about the symbols and the BNP and SE. I assume the BNP is Birmingham Nitro Proofed and the SE I think refers to the British version of SAAMI. Do the crown and crossed sabers give any clue as to were the work may have been done?

The few loads I tried with .264 bullets groups around 3-4 inches with the occasional group going 2 inches. The bore slugs at .269 so will be trying some of the Hornady .268's on my next trip to the range.

If .264 bullets will group 3 inches or less I can live with it as a hunting rifle. I tend to apply Elmer Keith's rule, "hunt as close as you can , then get closer".

Mart

One of Us
posted Hide Post
George Gibbs (Bristol, England) used to chamber M/S sporters they built primarily on Military Surplus Greek 1903 actions and bbled actions in '.256 Gibbs Magnum'.
They chambered it in other rifles they built as well of course.

By all accounts .256 Gibbs Magnum is the 6.5 Swede Mauser round (6.5x55mm) and it's slightly larger headsize casing. I can't see any difference but there may be something there. I use 6.5 Swede brass and reloading dies for mine.

I have one so marked . They used the original military bbl in the conversion.
The guide is opened up a slight amt to allow for the larger case dia and a standard 6.5 M/S case will not now hold in the magazine of the Gibbs Sporter.
The extractor hook appears to mave been ground back very slightly but nothing else done to the bolt face that I recall.

A few have reported that their .256 Gibbs Magnum chambered rifle will not accept the larger Swede Mauser base case.

The George Gibbs propietary 256 Gibbs Magnum round should not to be confused with the 1960's(?) line of (Rocky) Gibbs Magnum rounds. These were made by necking up and down the 30-06 IIRC.
One of them was a 6.5 Gibbs Magnum and that may be where some confusion exists.
But the 30-06 length case shouldn't even come close to fitting into the older M/S action ('03-'10) I wouldn't think. That's why the '24 came to be.

Anyway,,the 6.5 Swede caliber renamed the 256 Gibbs Magnum does have at least some connection with the M/S, though not a direct factory one.
An excellent round.

'6.5x55 SE' marking is the CIP designation of the round that we (USA) call the 6.5x55 Mauser or Swedish Mauser.
The Crossed Sabers is Birmingham Proof House Inspectors mark. Crown/BNP is the Birmingham Nitro Proof mark.

.268/.269 isn't all that unusual for a groove dia on pre WW2 European 6.5s from what I've seen. Deep rifling,,lots of bullet metal displacement seemed to be the idea.

I've always loaded .264d jacketed bullets in any of mine and had excellent luck once a decent load was found. Three 1903 M/S's,,the 256 Gibbs Magnum on the Military '03 and a 6.5x53 sporter built on a Romanian 93 bbld action. They all have groove diameters above .265.
160gr bullets always feed the best in the M/S actions it seems. The shorter,lighter weights will sometimes jam hitting the breech face of the bbl on the way in. I think the 1903 was designed for the 160gr bullet.
The straight line feed Steyr 92/95 will take anything.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quit the guess and by gosh, thats a waste of time..take a chamber cast and find out what you have. I could guess its a 6.5x57 because the lips release your rounds, but the chamber cast will clear up all doubts. BTW there are no fleas on a 6.5x57, its a great caliber.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

It is stamped 6.5x55 on the bottom of the barrel with Birmingham proof marks as the recent post indicates. I tried a 6.5X57. It will not chamber. The 6.5x55 chambers and works in the magazine. I am going to accept the Birmingham proof mark as accurate based on the fact that the 6.5x55 will chamber and the 6.5x57 will not.

Mart

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
The .256 Gibbs Magnum is not the same as the 6.5x55 Swede, with its .480" base. Don't get them confused. Instead, the .256 Gibbs Magnum is a 6.5x57 Mauser with the case shortened to 55mm via a shorter neck. The base size is the 30/06, 8x57, 270 Win size of .473" + or - a few thousandths. Ray is right in making a chamber cast to tell you definitively which you have. They don't interchange.
With either a 6.5x57, .256 Gibbs Magnum, or 6.5x55 Swede, you are sure to get barrel shaped fired brass.
Since you stated nothing about it, I assume there is no English gunmakers name listed under the wood.
You can easily pull the magazine from the stock. Use a pencil eraser or, better yet, a pen eraser. On the magazine bottom, to the front, is a hole. Underneath is shiny metal. This is a pendulum shaped spring. Depress this with the eraser (don't use a bullet tip or you will mar it) and rotate the magazine bottom either left or right. It is pinned in the middle underneath. When the front and rear edges are clear of the metal lips, finish rotating it 90 degrees by hand. The magazine then can be gingerly eased from the well.
There should be two probably black nearly semi-circular "fingers". See if these show evidence of having been tampered with. Also check the rotor body. It is normally smooth. See if it looks messed with. Check the quality of the workmanship.
As far as it being a 6.5x55: Does it say 1903 and 6.5x54 on the receiver ring? If it is a later model, say a 1950, the last of the straight bolts, it is rumored some were factory chambered for both 6.5x57 Mauser and 6.5x55 Swede.
Just trying to help you define what you have and where you want to go on this.
Good luck

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mart:
Ray,

It is stamped 6.5x55 on the bottom of the barrel with Birmingham proof marks as the recent post indicates. I tried a 6.5X57. It will not chamber. The 6.5x55 chambers and works in the magazine. I am going to accept the Birmingham proof mark as accurate based on the fact that the 6.5x55 will chamber and the 6.5x57 will not.

Mart

Mart just curious to know what made you think it was a 6.5x54MS in the first place, was this designation stamped on the exposed barrel or chamber or was it advertised as such.

Very clear that it is a 6.5x55, great cartridge, but with a bore of .269" i.e. just a re-chamber job and original larger bore for the x54 cartridge, you are not likely to get good accuracy as you as finding. My German friend had a couple like yours but they did shoot the .264" bullets very accurately. I think he mostly used 129 grainers. I shot a Roe buck with one of his 6.5 Mannlichers.

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was advertised as a 6.5x54. I'll give the Hornady .268's a try. It shot a couple of the preliminary loads with .264's into 2 1/4" so there may be some hope.

Mart

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:
Ray,

Mart

Mart just curious to know what made you think it was a 6.5x54MS in the first place, was this designation stamped on the exposed barrel or chamber or was it advertised as such.

Very clear that it is a 6.5x55, great cartridge, but with a bore of .269" i.e. just a re-chamber job and original larger bore for the x54 cartridge, you are not likely to get good accuracy as you as finding. My German friend had a couple like yours but they did shoot the .264" bullets very accurately. I think he mostly used 129 grainers. I shot a Roe buck with one of his 6.5 Mannlichers.

Did you miss the part about, he had to pull it from the wood to see that the new stamping was under the wood?

"Interestingly I just pulled the stock off and found the rifle has been rechambered to 6.5x55. The proof marks in the photo show 6.5x55 SE. .
"

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was advertised as a 6.5x54. I'll give the Hornady .268's a try. It shot a couple of the preliminary loads with .264's into 2 1/4" so there may be some hope.

I'd, personally, not be very happy. It is in effect worthless as a collector gun as it is not in original chambering and dubious as a hunting gun as being a "bastardised" 6.5x55 SE.

In that it may not perform at all well with regular off the shelf factory 6.5x55 SE ammunition (with the factory standard .264" bullet) but require a larger diameter bullet.

Now that's all well and good except:

It may mean that you need to mill out the neck part of any sizer die as otherwise you'll be working that neck too much each time. This may cause premature failure.

And as long as factory bullets for reloading are available in the larger diameter of .268" or whatever it is. Hornandy I believe are stopping their production of those.

My action would be to ask for a full refund. It was sold as a 6.5x54MS and not as anything else that has been re-chambered and so would have required a lower price.

For if you were to come in the future to sell it and be honest to any purchaser you would have to accept that its "issues" make it worth less than the same rifle in its true and original calibre.

For it is neither a true 6.5x54MS nor indeed a true 6.5x55 SE but a "Frankenstein" gun that has a cahmber of 6.5x55SE but a bore of a 6.5x54MS.

Might an enquiry be made of how much was paid?

I am also frankly surprised that the Proof House in Birmingham in fact passed it as proved for 6.5x55 SE given the fact that the barrel specification is that of the larger diameter 6.5x54MS.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will say I bought for considerably less than what they usually go for, mostly I think, because the wood had been altered. I am not a collector, I am a shooter and a hunter. I bought the rifle because I have always admired the little Mannlichers and have always wanted one to hunt with. I could sent it back but it might end up with someone less equipped to handle it's idiosyncrasies. In my care it will be shot and loaded for to make the best possible use of it. I didn't get hurt price wise on it and the dealer is mulling over buying me a couple hundred rounds of brass to make up for what I bought when I thought I was getting a 6.5x54.

I am somewhat of a sucker for a hard luck case and this rifle sure fits that description. It's hard saying what history it had that led it to where it is today. Obviously someone shortened it for a youth or petite female shooter and liked it well enough to do a decent job of returning it to it's original length of pull. How it came to be rechambered is anyone's guess.

It might end up parted out when it never found a sale. The action would realistically not be useable as a 6.5x54, perhaps it would make an 8x56 or 9x56 if rebarreled. If it stays with me there will be an accurate record of it's chambering and loading from this time forward. Whomever ends up with it in the future when I'm no longer able to tread the woods and hills will know what they are getting and what to expect.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:
Ray,

Mart

Did you miss the part about, he had to pull it from the wood to see that the new stamping was under the wood?

"Interestingly I just pulled the stock off and found the rifle has been rechambered to 6.5x55. The proof marks in the photo show 6.5x55 SE. .
"

No I did not miss that part, my question to Mart was I was curious to know what made him think it was a 6.5x54, was it advertised as such, or was it stamped as such on the exposed barrel or chamber? He only told us that he had "picked up a Steyr Mannlicher in 6.5x54".

I did not say, did he not see the the 6.5x55 markings, and in my questions I was not implying that he should have realised it was not a 6.5x54. My next sentence about being very clear it was a 6.5x55 was meaning now he had exposed the proofing it was clear.

I do happen to know my way around firearms.

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
after all that.
I'd just get the rifle re-barreled into a proper 6.5x55.
you'll be happier with the results.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
He can't; action is already modfied for the fatter brass and it is hard to make them work with the smaller brass again. Lots of careful welding and grinding.
I mean it is not easy to do.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I know it's a 6.5x55 now, but I have a 1903 MS with a good tight chamber, etc and the rotary magazine is particular to bullet length. This should still apply to your rifle as well.

I use Hornady 160 RN and tried various lengths. 3.05" resulted in the smoothest feeding.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
For those who are keen enthusiasts of the Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles from 1900 onwards, the various issues discussed here are well known.

One other key point I do not recall reading in this particular thread is that each magazine spindle is dedicated to a particular caliber. You cannot load any other case or cartridge in a magazine made for one specific caliber. In some cases you can even have trouble with a Sp bullet when the spindle is made for RN bullet! That is the exact case with my 9.5X57 MS. I had to seat the bullets deeper in order to prevent the mag from jamming after the 3rd round was loaded.

In this rifle, since it is reproofed for the 6.5X55 Swe, the gunmaker has obviously made a new spindle for the magazine.

These are beautifully made rifles and handle like a dream. the bolt is butter slick.

My 1930 Greek conversion carbine needs a new barrel. Anyone with a reamer I can borrow?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Just another thought - has the bolt face been altered for the 6.5X55 rim?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
For Austin; MS mags are regulated to CASE diameter primarily; with OAL and even bullet diameter being important of course but nothing like the head diameter. Once you open the feed area up, it is a bitch to close up again. Impossible for most people. Bolt face would have to be opened up as well to accommodate the Swede.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Numrich (Gun Part Corporation)
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/M...eek-37324.htm?page=2 has complete Greek Mannlicher magazines for around $106.00. I am pretty sure they interchange with the commercial magazines.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've a good friend who has a whole collection of Mannlichers that he is slowly letting onto the market. Many of the later ones were made in other calibres besides 6.5x54ms. For the uk market changes in legislation made the 6.5x54 and the 303 effectively illegal for deer as there was a min velocity requirement of 2450 fps required before the rifle can be used on deer. The standard 6.5x54 with its 160 gn bullet doesn't meet that so effectively it became obsolete.

Given the Birmingham proof marks this rifle came into the British Market, so was either re chambered to 6.5x55, but in the absence of crossed out markings it was probably made as a 6.5x55.

In terms of a usable rifle the 6.5x55 is probably better as ammo is readily available.

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally wouldn't put much faith in a stamp on the barrel or anywhere else if a problem like that cropped up..Many a gun has been rechambered and the markings were left off..

When in doubt always take a chamber cast. Its the safe thing to do.. Cerrosafe is not expensive and last forever. When in doubt cast it out!! Most gunsmith won't even charge you for that.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I just have to shake my head in wonderment.

The rifle is stamped and proved for 6.5x55. Matt didn't pay a " collector's" ransom for the rifle. He is a hunter, not a collector.

The only important question left in my mind is "Does it feed and shoot well?"

If it does, sounds like a good buy all around to me. I, at least, think you have a great deal there in your mitts Matt...a better cartridge than the 6.5x54 for which new brass is much more available, none of the costs of a proper conversion, and all the nice attributes of the '03 model. BTW, just because the grooves are bigger than .264 doesn't necessarily mean the bore diameter is bigger too. I have owned at least a dozen Gibbs Mannlicher 1903s over the years, both rifles and carbines, and they all shot well with the Hornady 160 grain RNs and loads they liked.

I hope yours does too.

Show it a little love and take it hunting. If you decide to sell or trade it, please PM me and give me first right of refusal.

AC

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer and the support. I will know better next week how it shoots as a 6.5x55. Right now I'm on my work hitch on the slope but will be headed to the range next week. I believe I'll stick to 6.5x54 ballistics even though it's proofed for 6.5x55 SE. The 160 grain round nose bullets have been stacking up game pretty successfully for many decades at what most would consider pedestrian speeds. I have every intention of hunting this rifle. That's what their made for isn't it?

AC, If I ever decide to sell I'll give you a shout.

Mart

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank YOU.

BTW, as to ballistics, I always started out by loading mine to the middle level of the typical three levels found in the loading handbooks. Never had to vary more than a 1/2 grain in their loads to get VG accuracy.

They'll never be an imitation BR range queen, but then they never were intended to be. For the hunter who believes that a bullet which strikes with an inch of where he aims is plenty good enough, and who doesn't rely on really rapidly firing every round in the magazine in hopes the game will be unfortunate enough to run into one of them, the M/S 1903s are hard to beat in the field.

(Especially if it is a forested field, where handiness counts for a lot and the rifle may have to be carried all day by the hunter and shank's mare.)

BTW, if a gun will put every shot within 1" of the point of aim, that still may mean it is shooting 2" groups. So what?.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe I'll stick to 6.5x54 ballistics even though it's proofed for 6.5x55 SE. The 160 grain round nose bullets have been stacking up game pretty successfully for many decades at what most would consider pedestrian speeds. I have every intention of hunting this rifle. That's what their made for isn't it?

Mart

No need to handicap the rifle by sticking to 6.5x54 ballistics. Presumably you meant pressures but CIP crusher pressures for both cartridges are the same. Nice to have the added versatility (if needed).

Sounds like you have a decent rifle if it shoots and feeds.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should note the seller did right by me and issued a substantial refund after I explained how much I had had spent on brass and dies in expectation of a 6.5x54. I'll be back at the range Tuesday with it to run a few 6.5x55 loads thought it.

Mart

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Glad it seems to be working out well for you. Keep us posted as to how it shoots.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
KCCA
IAA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just as an little addition to this thread, I now own this rifle.

My assessment of the chamber is that it's chamber is a wee hair (a skinny red one)shorter than all my other 6.5x55s at the shoulder, and that by setting my 6x55 "universal" FL sizing die a hair deeper, it seems to function with empty brass just fine.

I haven't loaded any 156 gr. Hornady RN bullets yet, which have worked very well in all my other M/S 6.5s. (unfortunately in clearing out my overstock of components, I mistakenly gave Frank all my Norma 6.5 160 grain bullets - a small coffee can full - to sell). C'est la vie.

I also noted that the bolt face is a little tight for European spec 6.5x55 brass, but much of the American made brass is smaller at the head than that anyway (being made by some companies with the same head and rim diameters as the .257 Roberts) and it seems to work okay in this gun once the case shoulder is set back a couple of thousandths. Will keep you all posted as I slowly proceed with it...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,
Were South of the border down here, that needs to be "Se esta la vida!" Havn't you been watching the news! We have become the United States of So. America Roll Eyes

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray -

I was born here and when I was a child about 75 years ago many of my classes from the second grade on were taught in Español at good old Grandview Elementary School on the northernmost edge of the Phoenix metro area. It was on Camelback road at about 15th or 16th Avenue, several miles north of the north Phoenix city limit (which at that time was Thomas Road).

In those days the border didn't really exist other than for the U.S. Federal bureaucrats. In fact, the very first Mayor of Phoenix was half Hispanic, half American Indian. the second Mayor was Black.

In those days it was how a man lived and how good a neighbor he was that counted out here in the West....until we got all those blue-nosers and pecker-heads from the East flooding in here.

I try not to watch the news except to see the fantasy skits presented as weather forecasts. Wink

Hang tough Ray,

Lloyd