THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Lightest bullet in a 1:8 twist .22-250 @25" barrel? Monos?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lightest bullet in a 1:8 twist .22-250 @25" barrel? Monos?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm trying to figure out what twist I will need to shoot mostly 69 to 75 grain bullets, preferably monolithics, out of a 25 inch barrel chambered in. 22-250 while hoping for 3000fps.

Does a 1:8 sound right or should I go for the 1:7 if I plan to concentrate on monometals?
Lets say I want to go for coyotes, and use a 50 grain bullets, I suppose I could consider them to about as long as a 70gr lead bullet?

Decisions decisions...

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1x7 and shoot 52gr bullets out and get great accuracy

Posts: 19293 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I would get a 1:8 for bullets 65 thru 80 gr. velocities will be higher than 3000f/s
I think you would need a 1:14 to shoot light bullets.
With 25" barrel you should gain 100 to 150f/s.. just a guess.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I went with a 1/7 to use the 80 G. Sierra in a 22-250 AI (40 deg.)that I built up. Even with the 80G. bullet the M.V. was superior to the 220 Swift + this with a 26" bbl. My answer/reply to the .224 TTH.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Iusually go with a 1x7 it seems to shoot most weights pretty darn good. I used it and lent it to other shooters on cull operation of PG in Africa, whitetail and hog culling in Texas..I don't recall any animal making a track, all instant kills with shoulder, neck and head shots. Interesting and just like PO Ackley said velocity would..Even so I prefer a larger caliber and heavier bullets as those fast bullets just have to fail sooner or later, or maybe Im just an old nickel and dimer and like slow big bullets that leave big blood trails, but that's another issue created by age and a wandering mind! Roll Eyes

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
69-75 mono's will be LONG so I'd think a 7 twist would be in order.

I just finished one (22-250 AI) for my brother with an 8 twist and I'm in the middle of another one for me but they're for 70-80 long BT cup and core bullets and that works out about right. The mono's will require a tighter twist.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whether one is trying to shoot light bullets in a fast twist or long/heavy bullets in a slow twist, a bullets balance and concentricity plays a large part in success.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3269 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe there is actually a formula that was developed by the navy for calculating the rate of twist for length of bullet to maximize stability.

Posts: 1065 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Berger's website has https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/. Bullet lengths are listed on https://www.jbmballistics.com/...engths/lengths.shtml

(You can't fix stupid)
Falls of Rough Ky University
Our victory cry is FORK U!

Posts: 217 | Location: Falls of Rough, KY | Registered: 29 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1:8" twist in 220 Swift. I've shot 52gr Sierra Match Kings on the low end and tried a few of the 70gr Barnes TSX that a friend gave me to try out. My gun shot them just fine. My prefered bullets are the 77gr Sierra match Kings or the 75gr Amax. The 69gr Match Kings also work well from it.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote