THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Ruger American or CZ 527 in 223

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger American or CZ 527 in 223
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Picking up a 223 bolt. Have it narrowed down to the Ruger American Compact in stainless or a CZ 527, both left handed at the local shop. Looking for insight. It will be a plinking/hunting rifle that will get the barrel threaded for a can. Thoughts?

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'm a big fan of the CZ's. Only advice I can give is check each to verify twist, and select on that and whichever one fits you best.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The CZ is likely to be more accurate. But you can mount a scope much lower on the Ruger and it doesn't have a backward-operating safety.

I personally wouldn't consider buying a sporter in .223 in anything other than a used Sako L461 or A-II. However, if buying a rifle in current production I would first look at the Howa mini action: https://www.howausa.com/rifles/walnut/

Posts: 13216 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hanks! Being a lefty has made it a bit more of a challenge with selection.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
If you like the LH stainless ruger american, you should jump on it soon. Ruger likes to discontinue and make different models and chamberings every year for each of their firearm line-ups.

I've waited and lost out on some when they were sold, backordered then discontinued

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
New production CZ527 223 rifles have a 1/9 twist barrel. That should be stamped near the caliber marking. If you don't like the long 5 in line magazines, flush 3 round clips are available. The set trigger on the 527 is also a bonus from my perspective.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 of the CZ's. A hornet, a fireball, and a 204 ruger. All are very accurate, right at 1/2 inch. The fireball and the 204 are newer than the hornet. Actions are not very smooth on the newer ones that I have but I can live with it for that kind of accuracy. I have never shot the Ruger Americans so cannot give you a comparison. JB

Posts: 370 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thoughts. Went with the Ruger since it is now discontinued. Ifidon’tlike it I’m sure I can find a buyer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hands down CZ. I got a few of them and all really good rifles and very accurate. As far as the reverse safety guess we should ban left hand cars in England, Australia, and else where huh?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess ITS TO late. The Rugers I’ve owned were not very accurate. Have not tried a CZ.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2630 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ghostrider272:
Thanks for the thoughts. Went with the Ruger since it is now discontinued. Ifidon’tlike it I’m sure I can find a buyer.

Let us know the accuracy results! Fun guns to shoot.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will do. Just need to get it shipped in.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
CZ all day. The Ruger isn’t even in the same league.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ghostrider272:
Picking up a 223 bolt. Have it narrowed down to the Ruger American Compact in stainless or a CZ 527, both left handed at the local shop. Looking for insight. It will be a plinking/hunting rifle that will get the barrel threaded for a can. Thoughts?

Owned the LH CZ sold it still own the Ruger American Compact SS LH 1-8 twist. Lots of people looking for the LH SS Ruger if you dont buy it please PM me.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
kk, bought it and had it threaded. Just waiting to take it to the range...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’d love to hear your accuracy report. I'm just waiting on my background check to come through on an American predator in 223. All of the Americans in 223 have 1:8” twists. Looking at reports on YouTube, the forends tend to need stiffening with fiberglass or resin and some dremeling to free float the barrel. The comb of the butt is quite low, so I’m going to add a cheek riser. I’m thinking that those compact rifles (If it doesn’t shoot well.) might benefit from stiffening up the forend and fully bedding the barrel. It would at a lot of weight, though.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3277 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CO Matt-Only have access to a 25 yard range at the moment. WHen I can get to a 100 yard range I'll let you know. Have a bunch of Nosler 40 gr ammo to test out. For a compact, it isn't as light as one would think.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks ghostrider!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3277 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote