posted
I am having a buddy build me a left handed AR upper

I have

Black rain left handed bcg
Stag left handed upper receiver
Geissele MK8 rail 15 inch
Radian Raptor Charging handle
Silencerco ASR muzzle brake

I need help on getting the right barrel. I want a 18 inch barrel so I can have mid length gas system.

What barrel should I get. I am biased towards cold hammer forged barrels shooting blasers and Steyrs.

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I guess it really depends on how the rifle is going to be used. If you are looking to be one of 'those guys' mag dumping at 10 yards you might want something chrome lined for longevity (Noveske CHF). If you want precision, there are a multitude of barrel manufactures that can produce top notch accuracy (Krieger or and Rainier ultra match come to mind) . Also, consider caliber. Will this be a 5.56, .223 or somthing else?

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter on an AR; but I use only Douglas barrels. They are the best. All these other new makers are just, new, but offer nothing substantial.
All I get from other barrel makers is, slow lead times, poor to no response to my custom contour orders, and surly to at best, indifferent attitudes.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
It doesn't matter on an AR; but I use only Douglas barrels. They are the best. All these other new makers are just, new, but offer nothing substantial.
All I get from other barrel makers is, slow lead times, poor to no response to my custom contour orders, and surly to at best, indifferent attitudes.
Thanks. I'm not planning on a new barrel in the near future, but when I need one I, for one, will keep this in mind.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I used a Criterion CHF 18" HBAR .223 Wylde when I built my pseudo-SPR rifle. It's seemingly been a good barrel though I haven't put a ton of rounds through it. It's pretty accurate, but my biggest problem there has been a very cheap scope with parallax issues.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Krieger. There's a wait, but it's worth it.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13385 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LaRue Barrels have a great reputation and when on sale for $225-ish are a great value.

White Oak Precision is having a sale, they sell true match barrels for competition.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lilja makes some damn fine barrels too and they make some for the AR's. I've never used one of their AR barrels but have many of their others.

Lately, Douglas has been my go-to barrel company and the last 5 have not disappointed.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the last week I decided to have built another left handed upper.

Black rain left handed bcg
Stag left handed upper receiver
Geissele MK16 rail 13.5 inch
Radian Raptor Charging handle
Silencerco ASR flash hider

I am looking at a 14.5 barrel for this one.

Someone recommended

https://www.ballisticadvantage...-premium-series.html

Hammer forged

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are lots of quality barrels for AR15's. If you want accuracy, all of the named barrels are outstanding. I have a Kreiger, Douglas, and several Wilson match barrels on my NM AR15's.

Kreiger barrels are tight, you will be popping primers till you cut your loads by 1.5 to 2.0 grains.

I have a spare Walther barrel lying around, it was highly recommended.

Understand, the chambering job is just as important as the barrel. I recommend Frank at Compass Lake Engineering, he used to be on Commercial Row at Camp Perry, lots of precision shooters, including myself have paid Frank to install barrels.

https://compasslake.com/