New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 Weatherby options
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, the 257 Roberts I was looking at didn't happen but, a 257 Weatherby followed me home! It is a gently used 26" #3 fluted barrel model that I'm looking forward to breaking in. It also has a threaded muzzle so, I'm planning on using my suppressor with it 'hog plinking'.

For brass, I have heard mixed things on full-length sizing 7 Remington Magnum indicating the necks come out slightly short. Is this a viable option or do I need to search for and pay up for factory Weatherby brass? For tough bullets to crash through hog shoulders without disintegrating, what bullets will work well at distances of 50 yards to ~250 yards? Where I shoot feral hogs, the treeline is ~200 yards away. Wink I'll worry about 'speed goats' when, or if, I get closer to a hunt in wide-open spaces. Smiler

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
115 NP's.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...001823745?pid=518619

100gr interlock is what I am using in mine. Very Accurate and priced great ($39.99/20). I need to set the rifle next to my LabRadar but the box says 3,500fps.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Just don't buy once fired brass, sometimes you can get away with it on a belted magnum and sometimes you can not.

257 Weatherby is one of my favorite cartridges, nothing is flatter shooting (well probably).

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
100 gr Barnes TTSX or 120 gr Nosler Partition.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[

For brass, I have heard mixed things on full-length sizing 7 Remington Magnum indicating the necks come out slightly short. Is this a viable option or do I need to search for and pay up for factory Weatherby brass?

I used nothing but 264 and 7mm rem brass for years in my 257 Wby. The only thing I would caution is Wby brass will have slightly more capacity than 264 or 7mm brass .So a load listed as max in a Wby case will be excessive in a Win or Rem case. Your max will be 2 or 3 grs less than the max in a Wby case

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great cartridge. I use mine for deer and antelope.
I always buy new brass, not cheap, but don’t use a lot of it, so.....

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Really fun cartridge. I thought I needed one since I first read about a brain shot on a crock at 400 yards with one in Death in the Long Grass. (I was just a little kid - I didn't know Capstick was mostly fabrication.)

But I finally got one a few years ago and have had a great time with it. I've had terrific accuracy with the 100 gr. TTSX out to silly distances. It's the best coyote round I've ever played with.

I bought a sack or two of Norma brass in bulk and they've lasted great. Lee will custom make you a neck collet die and I don't think I've had to toss any cases yet.

Posts: 2503 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently acquired a Euromark in 257 Weatherby, been shooting some different loads in it. shoots 100gr ttsx with 7828SSC at 3550 fps, 110gr Accubond at 3400 fps with 7828SSC, that will kill any hog dead

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Took my .257 Wby out this weekend to shoot the cob webs out. It is an Accumark Model that has served me well for Whitetails and Mulies. 120 grain Nosler Partition loaded at 70 grains RL-22 chronographed at 3425 fps and a 3/4 inch group. Also had two old loaded rounds with 100 grain Nosler E-Tip (no lead) with 71 grains RL-22. I shot them just to have the brass for next session and they averaged 3665 fps and danged if the two shots touched each other. When I checked the load date of those two rounds it was eight yEars ago. Guess I found a good bean field load. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2344 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone! It sounds like I have some good options for this rifle.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Just don't buy once fired brass, sometimes you can get away with it on a belted magnum and sometimes you can not.

257 Weatherby is one of my favorite cartridges, nothing is flatter shooting (well probably).

The best tricks I’ve learned for sizing/salvaging belted brass that stubbornly refuse to size down to your chamber are the Willis tool, a small base die(300 Win works for almost all of them) and a feeler gauge between the case holder and the shell-holder.

The 7mm Rem necks down fine. Shorter but thats not such a bad deal if you hate trimming cases.

For quite awhile the cheapest way to get .257 brass was to buy the cheapest Weatherby factory loads.

A very good deep penetrating and hard hitting bullet is the 100 grain Scirroco.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brass is not cheap, but it’s not like you’re likely going to shoot 100s of rounds each outing. So I buy factory 257 wby brass, and recommend that option.
My 257 wby is a custom sako with a 26” shilen barrel. It’s by far my favorite long rang deer and antelope rifle.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my two current .257s I started by resized new 7mm Remington Magnum brass, this is cheaper and works fine with the heavier bullets. Still, I now use Weatherby brass from Norma and PMC exclusively in both rifles. Since the brass lasts a loooong time when properly sized, even the most costly brass becomes cheap on a per shot basis.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote