New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 43
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been considering one in 218 Bee. Know nothing about the model 43, other than it's called a "poor man's model 70". I love the pre64 model 70s.

Anybody have experience with the 43?

Thanks

Posts: 168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
other than it's called a "poor man's model 70"

Whoever called it that was blind or ignorant.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope, the Model 43 doesn't resemble the Model 70 in much way other than having a stock for firing from the shoulder and a turning bolt. Whoever came up with that old saw about being a "poor man's Model 70" was somewhat short on alliteration.

That's not to say the the Model 43 in .218 Bee isn't a very desirable rifle. I own one and am very happy with it. The most appealing feature is that you simply can't buy a bolt rifle (or virtually any rifle) in .218 Bee today, and the cartridge is a great little number for the type of game it was designed for. The Model 43, while not matching the qualities of something like a Kimber of Oregon 82 or a Brno ZKW 465, is a serviceable little rifle with classic lines.

I have a friend who lucked into one in the Deluxe model with checkering -- it's actually rather appealing; although mine, by luck of the draw, has a better trigger.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had one in .218 B since the 1970's. It is more of a supersized Win. 69,72,75 .22Rf rifle with an additional recoil lug (rear). It is not a very strong action so you must watch your reloads. Cases don't last very long if you hot rod it. My trigger is very good and with my reloads (40gr. Vmax with Lil Gun and CCI magnum pistol primers it will shoot under an inch at 100 yds. I have a Simmons 3-9 on it.
I've shot woodchucks, fox, squirrel, rabbits, a turkey and a javalina with mine---all is good !
It is a Plain Jane rifle, nothing like a M70 in my opinion.

Hip

P.S. For squirrel etc. 4.3 gr. Unique with a 46 gr. Speer flat point is great! 1600+ fps.

Posts: 1794 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always liked the little mod. 43, its light and handy and in 22 Hornet and 218 bee, Ive seen some headspace problems on a few, but the cure for that is the improved version and that can almost be done with a fingernail file!! rotflmo

Great little walk about rifle as they say in Aussy land..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
I really liked the 43 Bee I had for several years.

Posts: 964 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Deluxe Model which was very accurate and a pleasure to shoot but, as has been mentioned, not very much Model 70 there. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3491 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back then it was "the poor mans mod. 70" not so much today..most of the hunting gang called it that, and it sorta was IMO, we didn't have all the plastic and stainless steel back then, and it was abot the only short action for the hornet and Bee until Sako showed up, but the price of the Sako and Brno was out of sight at almost $200.

I still like the mod 43s..fun gun..Had a friend rancher who shot many deer on his ranch and never needed more gun than that worn to death Win 43 in a 218 Bee, shot factory ammo and it lived in a saddle scabbard under his leg almost every day..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Such is the case with any caliber or make and model, if you really want a varmint rifle better than the Fireball, go for a 22-250 or 220 swift, camparing calibers and makes of guns is a waste of time..shoot what you enjoy shooting the most at any given time..Guess thats why most guns don't last too long around my casa..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
I own and shoot a model 43 in 218 Bee and 22 Hornet. I like them both and consider them both excellent shooters. If you want a Bee and a Model 43 get one and enjoy. As far as case life is concerned, I learned to just neck size for mine and case life seems to be as good as most cartridges with that method. Now to shooting, I use a 40 grain Sierra Hornet and IMR 4198 powder accuracy is under an inch. Go shoot um up.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be looking for one,got a load of ammo and brass and new dies..then again I can just load 22 grs of WW748 with a 40 gr. bullet in my Sako .222 Rem. Rhihemake (sp?) and bingo, I got a Hornet..so may just sell my 5 boxes of Hornet factory, 200 cases, and dies..Hmmmmmm?
Ray

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120