Find
Notify
Tools

well I did it
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
I fell for the Creedmoor. I sent the Rem 700 ADL out for a barrel. It was a 243 so it should come back a bit lighter :-)

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect you will enjoy it immensely. I certainly have enjoyed mine.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good conversion.

I don't own a rifle in either of those rounds, but I think if I did, I'd choose a .264 over a .243 for the animals that I hunt.

Good hunting with your new rifle.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess Im going to have to do the same, Ive held out on the creedmore too long..but the 250-3000 has been my "creedmore" for so many years Ive passed on what should be one heck of a deer round..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Ray

I have a beautiful Savage M14 in 250-3000 . When I asked the dealer to order it he did a double take. I think Savage kept "special wood" for the savage caliber rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray et al:

Those are both sweet little cartridges but they're like comparing apples to raisins.

Correct chamber, long throat, fast twist, high BC bullets, reasonable velocity, low report and recoil and this, my friend, is describing the Creedmoor. It's really a shooter's rifle capable of 3000-3500 rounds down the tube before accuracy drops off too much... if not shot when the barrel is HOT.

I have never heard of a 250 Sav set up for ringing the gong at 1000 yards with stunning regularity... but in the right "platform" the 6.5 Creedmoor will.

It all depends on what a guy wants a new rifle for. No flies on the 250-3000. They're just different!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
....and don't think for a minute that the Creedmoor replaces the 250-3000. It just is another compliment to the gun battery!

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
stir I'll just stick with my 6.5x55 and 6.5x57. Thank you very much.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Savage 14 in 250-3000

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If that is factory wood, it is amazing.
As for the 6.5 creedmoor; it is a great cartridge in all respects. Sure, for those who own old stuff, fine, but things move on. Nothing currently being made in 6.5, compares. Ok, the 260. but even that is old, sort of.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Factory wood. I'm not sure if this was a limited edition (caliber wise) or not but they sure picked a nice piece of wood.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Despite the haters, the 6.5 Creed is difficult to hate especially after you have hunted with it. It along with the .260 may be the best deer cartridges available today. We have been killing deer with the .260 for decades and the 6.5 Creed for about 3 years (with nearly identical loads and velocities by the way) and they never disappoint. From 100 Grain Partitons to 155 grain Megas and everything in between. The perfect blend of shoot-ability and thump with a wide array of bullets that are neither to hard or too explosive. Enjoy!

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
From 100 Grain Partitons to 155 grain Megas and everything in between.

You can't shoot a 155 Lapua Mega in a Creedmoor! The BC boys will have a fit. You have to use the highest BC match bullets for hunting! Big Grin

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I built one two years ago and no regrets!!!

Posts: 2320 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I built myself a CM a couple years ago for metallic silhouette. This was to replace mt 6.5x55 which worked just fine but which was larger than necessary. The CM works just fine. I have three other 6.5's for hunting (260 Rem, 6.5x55, 256 Newton) so I see no need for a creedmoor for that purpose. I built myself a 257 Roberts instead. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3491 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:

Very wise man.

I have all three, and they are all the same.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can't shoot a 155 Lapua Mega in a Creedmoor! The BC boys will have a fit. You have to use the highest BC match bullets for hunting!

The Mega has great ballistics...terminal.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well, that's what happens when we play with wildcat development, even if we are reinventing the wheel. It's just plain fun.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
QUOTE :I fell for the Creedmoor. I sent the Rem 700 ADL out for a barrel. It was a 243 so it should come back a bit lighter :-)

which CREEDMOOR 6MM or 6.5

Posts: 1132 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vines:
QUOTE :I fell for the Creedmoor. I sent the Rem 700 ADL out for a barrel. It was a 243 so it should come back a bit lighter :-)

I ASSumed that since he said "it'll come back lighter" that the new barrel would sport a .264 hole.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vines:

I ASSumed that since he said "it'll come back lighter" that the new barrel would sport a .264 hole.

Zeke

i ASSumed nothing, that is why i ASSked

Posts: 1132 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Correct a 6.5. It's up at Hart for a rebarrel and ceracoat

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:

Very wise man.

I have all three, and they are all the same.

Thank VERY MUCH for that endorsement Saeed.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Do 6.5x55 and 6.5x57 fit efficiently in an ADL Short Action. Does a 260 even fit well in a SA?

I'm doing this just to cut down on dups. I already have a few 243's so instead of selling the ADL, I get to play. I posted pics of it before in a B&C stock. Switching from weavers to tallys saved no weight.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Both the 6.5x55 & 6.5x57 would be better in a medium action. I don't think Remington makes one so a long action would be the only option. But who cares? The weight difference would be pretty small anyway.

I get a chuckle out of that red B&C stock. I bought one for a Winchester model 70 years back and never saw anyone else with one. Now in the last few years they seem to pop up here on AR at least from time to time. Big Grin

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Both the 6.5x55 & 6.5x57 would be better in a medium action. I don't think Remington makes one so a long action would be the only option. But who cares? The weight difference would be pretty small anyway.

I get a chuckle out of that red B&C stock. I bought one for a Winchester model 70 years back and never saw anyone else with one. Now in the last few years they seem to pop up here on AR at least from time to time. Big Grin

Stiller makes a Remington clone in a medium length action. I suspect stock selection would be limited, I haven't checked as it doesn't interest me. I would go to a long action if the cartridge wouldn't fit well in the short action.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zeke,
LOts of reasoning on your part, and the Creedmoor society will back you up, I just ain't buying the Koolaid on its pluses over the 250-3000, the one most accurate rifle in any form that Ive ever played with, it ruled the varmint world early on and killed the DG of the time, but the .243 almost killed it, but only with a flawed advertisement campaign and outright lies. but the 250s made a decent come back by those that that have bothered to try it, like the 7x57 it won't die. Ive seen so many magic calibers burn up the mails then die on the vine, what will the creedmoor do? I have no idea, its strong now and I don't see its ballistics bettering the 250, 257, or the larger 6.5s...I realize I might be wrong, so we will see in the long run..The .338 comes to mind in that it didn't get the advertisement campaign like the 8mm magnum, but it slowly labored itself to the top by the shooting public, whereas a number of newbies died when they didn't produce, and that's happening today with a lot of wonder calibers.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Zeke,
LOts of reasoning on your part, and the Creedmoor society will back you up, I just ain't buying the Koolaid on its pluses over the 250-3000, the one most accurate rifle in any form that Ive ever played with, it ruled the varmint world early on and killed the DG of the time, but the .243 almost killed it, but only with a flawed advertisement campaign and outright lies. but the 250s made a decent come back by those that that have bothered to try it, like the 7x57 it won't die. Ive seen so many magic calibers burn up the mails then die on the vine, what will the creedmoor do? I have no idea, its strong now and I don't see its ballistics bettering the 250, 257, or the larger 6.5s...I realize I might be wrong, so we will see in the long run..The .338 comes to mind in that it didn't get the advertisement campaign like the 8mm magnum, but it slowly labored itself to the top by the shooting public, whereas a number of newbies died when they didn't produce, and that's happening today with a lot of wonder calibers.

What the Creed has going for it is, it is so easy to shoot. And now with all the factory ammo available it is very versatile. The quarter bores are stuck with the 120 grain bullets on the top end and run out of gas from a smaller case pretty quick. When you see what a 140 grain Accubond does at 400 yards, and how easy it was to place it precisely from the Creed case it's hard not to fall in love. I am afraid it's here to stay. For those that don't like it, don't try it. Like Meth, for most people you only have to try it once and your hooked.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess Im going to have to do the same, Ive held out on the creedmore too long..but the 250-3000 has been my "creedmore" for so many years Ive passed on what should be one heck of a deer round..

Way back in the 1960s I visited a local gun shop. He had a Savage model 99 in .250-3000 he wanted $95.00 for. At the time it might as well have been 95 million because I was poor then. A few years back I finally got one, and it shoots like a dream. I am looking forward to taking a deer or two with it this year.

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 260 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Zeke,

Ray,
My advice is not to buy a 6.5 CM, no matter what. Because if you do, it will mess up your views too much. Then what would you do.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote