New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Creedmoor
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I broke a personal vow not to have anything to do with a 6.5 CM.

I was out working on some load development for my .300 RUM and one of my pistol shooting buddies happened to be out there.

He had a 6.5 CM on a Savage action with one of those goofy chassis stocks. Everything was completely factory, ammo, rifle, etc.

The wind was blowing like a SOB, so my groups at 200 were a little oblong... but I did get my velocity information.

He said he had a bunch of ammo to burn up, and offered me some shots at steel at 600 yards.

Dang, that ugly little thing was fun to shoot- he was surprised that I could hit 5/6 shots with it at that range, I was even more surprised given the wind (although it wasn't that small a target). Absolutely no recoil (well compared to a .300 ultra mag shooting 180's and 200's off the bench, anyhow) although it took multiple seconds to hear the steel ring.

I would have popped the thing with my rifle, but I didn't want to damage his target (I do think hunting bullets would have dented it)- his dope was quite a bit different than mine, but still I was impressed.

Not something I would want to shoot at game at that distance given the TOF, but a fun little steel gun. I gotta stop shooting only for a purpose, I guess.

Posts: 10554 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was an early adopter of the .260 Remington and resisted the 6.5 Creedmoor at first (I didn't know what I didn't know). Then I shot a few and now own several.
I test a great number of factory and custom rifles and I've yet to shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor built by any manufacturer that wouldn't shoot better than 1 MOA (usually WAY better) with Hornady factory ammo. Hype aside, this is a great cartridge that can handle the needs of 90% of hunters.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Wood I did and felt exactly the same.
And last summer there was a guy at the range with a cheap 6.5 cm; forgot the make. SOB, he was shooting .5 moa groups with factory ammo. It is now popular for good reason; and a guy who has a custom 260 had me rebarrel it for cm.

Posts: 17089 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both the 260 and the 6.5 CM. The biggest advantage the 6.5 CM has over the 260 is the bullet is loaded out further out of the powder space. The 260 can hold a wee bit more powder so there is noway all things being equal the 6.5 CM is going to beat it. Also the 260 is built on actions just long enough to handle it. At first, don't know about now, the 260's were throated for 120 grain bullets. I built a 260 on a longer action and throated it out for 140 grain bullets. It gives up nothing to the 6.5 CM. My 6.5 CM is on an AR10 and I have to admit it's a good round and very accurate. I find myself shooting the 6.5 more. The 6.5 case is slightly more efficient too.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Any of the 6.5s will do the job, the 6.5 Creedmor is just the latest wonder cartridge.

I have a 260 and a 6.5x284 and have shot a lot of 6.5x55s and they will all ring the steel as far out as you want to.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12523 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I certainly have enjoyed mine. Just plain fun to shoot, accurate with minimal recoil, effective on medium sized game, what's not to like. And yes I know, there are many other 6.5s that do the same thing and have been around for decades, but that doesn't make the creedmoor any less effective.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And the Creedmoor is capable of incredible accuracy with relatively inexpensive factory ammo, which is its real strength over many of the other 6.5mms.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:
And the Creedmoor is capable of incredible accuracy with relatively inexpensive factory ammo, which is its real strength over many of the other 6.5mms.

Really?

I've had a 6.5x55 that easily shoots sub moa without any trouble and has for years.

I've nothing against the Creedmore and if I didn't have something similar already might try one but the claims made about it are a little much. faint

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2789 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
Most of the older 6.5's were not built from the ground up for accuracy.
Most were built for military purposes.
The older cartridges are good cartridges but won't do what the 6.5 Creedmoor does.
Fit very well in a short action.
Even the 6.5 x 284 does best in at least a medium action sop it can seat bullets out longer.
The 6.5x55 is the same way.
Leo

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote