Find
Notify
Tools

26 Nosler
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted
Any opinions? Considering getting one. I am not concerned about burning the barrel out. At my age, I hope I live long enough for that to be an issue. Thx.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I have no problems with any of the new Nosler rounds. The problem is, are they going to get popular enough to last a few years or more. Time will tell.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
I have no problems with any of the new Nosler rounds. The problem is, are they going to get popular enough to last a few years or more. Time will tell.

I also have no problem with them and I am, in fact, building a 28 for my self and just finish a tack-driver 28 for a Crow Nation guide.

I also have no problem with them becoming "unpopular" over the years.

While pricey, stock up on plenty of brass and dies and no one should care about popularity at that point, right?

Bear in mind that these race-horses are like all the others... NOT PLINKERS as the barrel WILL degrade quickly when fired with the barrel metal hot. Otherwise, plan on 800-1000 rounds down the tube before a new barrel is in order.

Have fun with the 26! It should be a screamer!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put it in a long action with a 3.600"+ mag box. The way Nosler configured it it might as well be a Weatherby freeborewise.

Same with the 28 for that matter,

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I brought one on a Nosler M48.

Frankly, I didn’t get one of the unobtainium gun writer versions. It is about 200FPS off of the claimed velocities with factory ammo and the cases look like what I call overpressure in my reloads.

It’s a solid 1.5 MOA rifle with factory fodder. My reloads are about what I would expect out of a .264 win mag (without pressure sign) and almost an honest MOA.

As a long distance point blank gun, it’s what it’s supposed to be. I was a bit disappointed given the write ups it wasn’t both faster and a more accurate piece given the money. I’m not sure if I just have a slow one or what. My Dakota rifles in the similar Dakota cartridges I have been impressed with, but there is no 6.5 Dakota so I tried it.

I think in a better barrel, it would be an excellent performer for long range game.

Posts: 10578 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:
I went with a 6.5-300 for the sole purpose that should brass dry up, it’s easy to make out of 300 Wby. That and what little info I could find on barrel life, there is a theory that the Wby freebore might prolong the barrel life a little longer. Who knows.

Todd

Well, since the "Wby freebore" is basically a pre-eroded throat, accuracy, such as it is, probably won't show any noticeable difference until the barrel erodes beyond the pre-eroded portion of the freebore.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:
quote:
I went with a 6.5-300 for the sole purpose that should brass dry up, it’s easy to make out of 300 Wby. That and what little info I could find on barrel life, there is a theory that the Wby freebore might prolong the barrel life a little longer. Who knows.

Todd

Well, since the "Wby freebore" is basically a pre-eroded throat, accuracy, such as it is, probably won't show any noticeable difference until the barrel erodes beyond the pre-eroded portion of the freebore.

Are you having accuracy problems with your Weatherby?
stir

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:
quote:

Todd

Are you having accuracy problems with your Weatherby?
stir

I don't have a Wby, but by seating bullets just off the lands (AKA no freebore) I get excellent accuracy from my milsurp K98 barrel.

This is not a fluke either. Results like this with various 200gr billets have become so routine that it's kinda boring.

My 5mm Remington CF conversion like "no freebore" cartridge length too.

Here's a 5 shot group at 100yds. Again this is routine with that rifle.

Despite having a Mv of only 2540 fps, it still holds just over .5 MOA accuracy out at 200yds.

I can't imagine anyone that would want the bullets to "jump" a gap between the bullet ogive and the lands (AKA "freebore") when keeping that gap to a minimum almost invariably yields the best accuray.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with them. I seriously considered building one but went with a 6.5-06 instead. My brother has a 28 Nosler and I loaded him up a bunch of ammo. He has not shot it much, lazy ass says he is to busy. Who is to busy to go shoot?

My personal opinion, I am not sure the 26 Nosler will last. It appears the 28 and new 30 will be more popular, but that is just my guess. Kind of like the WSM's. The 270 and 300 are pretty popular but the 7mm wasn't as much. I still don't understand that because bullet choices are much better with 7's.

Posts: 749 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one. I am not sure why.

I shot a few hogs with it. One was at fairly long range. It shoots well.

I am going to Tajikistan to hunt Marco Polo this year. My first thought was hell yes. The 26 Nosler will be perfect for this. A guy going with us burst my bubble by asking two questions as follows:

1- Should the airlines lose your ammo, how hard do you think it will be to find 26 Nosler ammo in Dushanbe?

2- Have to checked to see how hard the 26 hits at 500 yards compared to your 300?

I am taking my 300.

Posts: 11945 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
some time this year CZ will have rifles in all the Nosler rounds. In the push feed 557.
If they are as accurate as the one i bought in .308, one in a 6.5 Nosler would make a really good shot a deadly person for sure...

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im sure its a good rifle and a good caliber, but certainly just more of the same by a different name..like so many today..Today youth like yesterdays youth must have whatever is new, and the firearms companies have always had our number, I was guilty as sin back in the day.

Truth is a 30-06 and a your choice of a magnum, I would opt for a 375 as that covers the big game field, a 222 and a 22-250 with a 22 L. R. covers the smaller stuff.

the rest is justifiable on in our minds, and the fun and games and big boy toys begins there..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I bought one. I am not sure why.

I shot a few hogs with it. One was at fairly long range. It shoots well.

I am going to Tajikistan to hunt Marco Polo this year. My first thought was hell yes. The 26 Nosler will be perfect for this. A guy going with us burst my bubble by asking two questions as follows:

1- Should the airlines lose your ammo, how hard do you think it will be to find 26 Nosler ammo in Dushanbe?

2- Have to checked to see how hard the 26 hits at 500 yards compared to your 300?

I am taking my 300.
To answer the 2nd 1st: The 26 Nosler from 200yds through 800yds...
https://www.nosler.com/trophy-...ng-range-ammunition/

Regarding the 1st question: That is the identical question that is asked about all "non-typical/traditional" cartridges. Have you determined what ammunition is available right now in Dushanbe? Your 300"s ammunition may or may not be readily available in Dushanbe..

Regardless of the questions posed by this fellow hunter...it's your hunt, take what you want, live with the results.

Most importantly, be safe and accident free, enjoy yourself, good luck!

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote