Notify
Tools

Couple of Sakos
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very nice! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya!

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Now you did it!

Don't look at #4,6,or 9. .338 WM, .308, and .338 again.

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 397 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That's quite a pair, Geedub. Sure admire the 6.5 Swede. Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sako makes one of the best actions around.

Most definitely best made in Europe!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66902 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Well, wouldn't that make them the best in the world? I can't think of an American-made action that is better (at least not in current production), and the only other place besides the U.S. and Europe that any bolt actions are being made is Japan (Howa). Musgrave is long out of business in South Africa, and I don't know of any bolts coming from Brazil.

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Well, we can agree that Sako made the best actions. The debate continues on which action is the best. I've cast my vote(s).

Posts: 397 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did someone mention....Sako actions?? Smiler

Here's one ya don't see very often.

Yes....they've been my favorite for many years.

Kevin

In its final form...

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a custom english type walk about 6x45 SAko L series and a 222 rem clip model Rihimaki. Love thoes two models, The A series was the last of the great Sakos and the worst of the 3 above models IMO.

In big bore rifles I still prefer the control feed, based on my personal experience, Mauser and pre 64 mod 70...To each his own..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've owned rifles of various brands and actions. The Mauser 98 has loyal devotees.

I prefer Sako AV actions followed by original Remington Model 700. And yes, I dohave experience with the 98 action.

I get the CRF concept. However, I've never, ever experienced a failure to do anything with either a Sako or a Model 700.

The H&K Model 416 is almost assuredly the most reliable action ever produced which was a reason that the US military is replacing its M-4 with a military version of the 416. It's an automatic action without CRF.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two absolute requirements of a hunting rifle: reliability and accuracy. Sako AV exceeds both.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sako actions in particular the older AVs are nice actions. However I would suggest the Heym SR20s are possibly even nicer. But then I am somewhat biased. They are certainly nicer than than the 75 and 85. Heym also made a to scale action for the 222 / 223 which I think was the SR40. I have only seen one and its really dinky little rifle.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never oned a Sako. But Mauser 66 and Sauer 202 actions are hard to beat.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Growing up, I got annual Gun Digest and Shooters Bibles for Christmas presents. I'd drool at the pictures of Sakos, but they were out of reach,so out of sight. I focused on attainable goals, ie Rugers- M77R .270, Deluxe 10/22, Ruger MkI 6 7/8. Those and a Savage Valmet 330 were my battery. My thoughts didn't stray towards Sakos until @1990 when I held my first Sako, my .17 Rem AI in the hunter style stock. I had never felt anything like it, and haven't since. So yes, the L461/AI actions are virtually the same except for the bolt shroud, which I find attractive, but it is the hunter-style stock which has made me a devout fan of the A-series rifles and carbines. So my bucket list small action goal is to find an AI Kokotukki based off the hunter style stock. I know they are out there. When I find a .222, I'll turn it into a 6x45, 6 PPC USA, or a 17 Mach IV. Well, I'd ask Greg Tannel to...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya:

How many gun safes do you own!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My two favorite actions:
Sauer 202
Steyr CL II Safebolt System.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Sako 579 308 . Richard Microfit
BD - Before Digital photography. Might even be before the internet.

Sold the stock and found a factory.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like that custom stock in the original post.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sako’s are good European actions. But other good ones are the Heym SR20 - a reasonable number available, but Sako numbers. Floorplate magazine and safety is better. Also the Tikka actions are widely used in custom rifles. Brno’s and CZs make up into good rifles especially in the bigger bores.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin 322, which used a Sako L46 mini mauser action. It's chambered in 222 Remington and I love it.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I have a custom english type walk about 6x45 SAko L series and a 222 rem clip model Rihimaki. Love thoes two models, The A series was the last of the great Sakos and the worst of the 3 above models IMO.

In big bore rifles I still prefer the control feed, based on my personal experience, Mauser and pre 64 mod 70...To each his own..

Ray,
Was your 6x45 made by Frank Wells in Tucson by any chance? Many years ago I saw a beautiful English walnut custom Sako in that caliber in his shop.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
223 from Beitzinger.

17Rem from a shop in Vegas.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GoWyo:
Now you did it!

Don't look at #4,6,or 9. .338 WM, .308, and .338 again.

For me the standout on these are the lovely Warne Premier mounts and original Sako windage mounts. Optilocks were a retrograde step on such pretty rifles

One of Us
Picture of Foxhunter223
posted Hide Post
Sako single shot S491 in 6mm PPC. Jard trigger and Shilen barrel.

Is it accurate ?

Pete

Posts: 231 | Location: Northern NSW Australia | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Except for Blaser ! jumping

Posts: 10133 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffery,
No I built my L-61 Sako 6x45, Tony Barnes did the metal and I did the stock in a prized and horded piece of tiger striped hard as woodpecker lips piece of blood red claro..The only stock I ever made that wasn't Turkish or Russian..and its a beauty..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote