New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neck Die for .221 FB
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just started loading for the .221 Rem. Fireball and want to get a neck sizing die. Lee does not make one and can not make it. I have a Lee press. I see Redding and RCBS makes a neck sizing die for this cal. Will they threat into my press? Is one any better than the other? Which one should I buy?

Posts: 157 | Location: Kenosha, WI | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most dies and presses use the same thread except some small old dies such as Lyman 310 series that you wont see much anymore. You can get an adapter to put those in a standard press. Some large calibres use a larger thread size but presses for those come with an adapter also so you can use the standard dies too.

All common dies will fit your press regardless of brand. All known brands are good quality and its mostly personal preference as to whats best.

I like the Redding bushing type neck size dies as you can change the bushes for any neck size and tension you need. The die comes without a bushing and you need to buy the correct bushing as well.

Again, all brands will work and its largely personal preference.

BTW the thread size of dies is the same as the axle nut on a Model A Ford because the first die manufacturers used old Ford axles to make the dies! Bit of useless info but thats history.

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
A Redding S-series bushing die is the way to go here. I've used them in two tight-chambered customs and a Cooper .222 Rem with awesome results. Also, spring for the coated bushings, they're well worth the extra money. While you're at it, add a Redding Competition-series seater to the order. I will say however, I've got better results with all three rifles (on paper) when I full-length sized the brass.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Redding "S" die is a good route to go.
I've gotten into using Wilson Seaters and am very happy with them as they control alignment and concentricity as well as any of the dies made. The results support straight lines seaters as I get excellent accuracy using them. And, the coated bushings are the best too.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guy's for your input. It sounds like you all agree that I should get a Redding "S" die and the approprate coated bushing. Am I correct to assume that with this die you can neck size any caliber if you get the bushing for that caliber? So, one die, change the bushing to neck size another caliber? Or, is the die caliber specific and the bushing gives you varying neck tension to the bullet (i.e. tight, medium-tight and light). Also, a coated bushing allows to size without lube? I don't want to lube my cases. I hate that step in loading. I have a Lee seater die for the .221 FB. Is a competition seater really benificial?

Posts: 157 | Location: Kenosha, WI | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bushing dies are caliber specific.
The bushings differ depending on neck wall thickness.

Don

One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
TiN coated bushings do allow you to neck size w/o lube. In as far as the seater is concerned, there is no better way of controlling OAL than with a micrometer-top seating die. Also, the die has a sleeve that aligns the bullet perfectly with the case mouth before seating (help eliminate run-out).

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Redding bushing dies are not bad - in particular they allow you to control neck tension by switching bushings. Sadly, they come at a price, and one normally ends up buying a plethora of bushings....

A cheaper alternative, and in may ways at least as good, would be to have Lee make you a Collet die from your fired brass. I think they charge $50 - or something. The Collet die will produce ammo as straight (or straighter) as the Redding Busing dies, but you can't control neck tension to the degree possible with the bushing dies with this die.

I'd personally still opt for the Collet, and spend the remainder of the $$$ on a Forster FL die set: http://www.lockstock.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FR004071. Now you'd also have a 1st class seater, and then send your Forster FL to Forster and have them hone the FL die to a specific internal neck diameter (e.g. loaded round neck diamter minus .003 or .004"). This will cost you all of $10 plus shipping, and allow you to FL size without the use of an expander. Result: VERY straight ammo. Now you'll have a die setup about as good as you can get without buying full custom (Neil Jones etc).

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a simple neck size operation on a .221 case. You can buy a Hornady basic .22 cal neck size die for less than $15.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mho.....I asked Lee to make me a collet die set and they sent my money, cases & bullets back, saying the .221 is too short a case to make as a collet die. So Lee will not make me a die. I do like there collet dies. Now I am looking for another alternative than the Lee collet die set. I may just get the Redding standard neck die for $24 and use my Lee seater that came with the FL set; unless someone comes up with a better idea for me. Thanks for the input guys, I'm still not sure what to do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyB:
mho.....I asked Lee to make me a collet die set and they sent my money, cases & bullets back, saying the .221 is too short a case to make as a collet die. So Lee will not make me a die. I do like there collet dies.

Bummer that. At least it shows that "great minds think alike" - or that "fools seldom differ"... Smiler
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnnyB:
mho.....I asked Lee to make me a collet die set and they sent my money, cases & bullets back, saying the .221 is too short a case to make as a collet die. So Lee will not make me a die."

The "too short" reason can't be it...they make Hornet collet dies.
Go figure!?

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would recommend Wilson in-line neck sizing dies. Cost less than the Redding, RCBS, and such, and are so simple to use, you don't even need a reloading press.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=REDIWI&type=store

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In support of Wilson seaters, there is no need measuring concentricity of loaded rounds as Wilson seaters deliver concentric rounds.
I have changed over from the conventional 7/8x14 dies over the years and now have nine Wilson seaters for my centerfire rifles. The seating depth adustment is very good with the regular Wilson seater, so no need for the micrometer top they sell. I make up dummy loaded rounds with each bullet I shoot in a particular chambering, and use them for setting up dies to shoot each bullet. Set up takes about a minute.
The proof that they deliver outstanding accuracy is in the groups I shoot.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mulerider:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnnyB:
mho.....I asked Lee to make me a collet die set and they sent my money, cases & bullets back, saying the .221 is too short a case to make as a collet die. So Lee will not make me a die."

The "too short" reason can't be it...they make Hornet collet dies.
Go figure!?

Mulerider:
This is the responce I got from Lee about the .221 FB collet die.

"In talking with Mr Lee the 221 Fireball borderlines as troublesome. The Collet sticks to close and we have opted not to make it."

So there you have it, I guess it tends to stick closed, so they don't make it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I correct to assume that with this die you can neck size any caliber if you get the bushing for that caliber? So, one die, change the bushing to neck size another caliber?

Carefully used the .221 FB type S neck die could be used to size any .223 head size case that is as long or longer than the .221.
That includes the various .17 derivatives, the .222, .223 and 6X47. Just set it to the right lenght with the right bushing. If you want to use the expander you would have to change those too. Otherwise skip the expander with jacketed bullets.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use a Lee Collet die for my 221 Fireball brass and love it. Course the die is marked 22PPC. It will size about 3/4ths of the neck which is perfect. No need to pay them for a custom die when the 22PPC Collet die works just fine.

Posts: 21 | Location: Mt.Cheaha | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
BTW, using the Lee Collet Die and Redding's BR Seater die, I'm getting terrific groups w/ 40gr V-Max/19.5grs of AA-1680/CC-450's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheaha:
I use a Lee Collet die for my 221 Fireball brass and love it. Course the die is marked 22PPC. It will size about 3/4ths of the neck which is perfect. No need to pay them for a custom die when the 22PPC Collet die works just fine.

Cheaha:
I like your method of neck sizing the 221 FB using a 22PPC Lee Collet die. I am used to using this method of neck sizing (Lee Collet) and I like it; I was disapointed that I could not get a Lee collet in 221FB. I think I will oreder the Lee collet in 22PPC. I get a vote for a Wilson and a Redding BR seater. I would guess either would work well.

Thanks for the input guy. I now have some good ideas to try.

posted Hide Post
I bought the 22PPC Collet Die Set from Midway or Midsouth and just set the seater to the side. I'm guessing the unsized bottom 1/4 of the neck helps to center things up in the chamber when shooting. Course, you could shave a smidge off the bottom of the die, if you wanted to size the full neck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheaha:
Does the differance in diameter (0.067")present a proplem? Also, the Lee seater that comes with the set; You apparently prefer the Redding BR over the Lee? Without question?
According to my calculations the 22 PPC die will size 0.165 " of the 221 FB neck and leave 0.037" un-sized. That about right?

posted Hide Post
Many people only neck size 1/2 to 3/4ths of the neck anyway. It's thought this helps center the bullet to the bore. I'm running a 40gr V-Max and it doesn't extend past 3/4ths of the neck when loaded. I've loaded some brass 4-5 times using this method and haven't nedded to use the FL die yet.