New
Find
Notify
Tools

240 wby punishing recoil?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am trying to handload only 6mm rifle cartidges. I have heard it has a punishing recoil, does anyone have any experience with it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
My son now owns one I had bought for my dad many years ago. I have shot it many times and its not punishing at all. He hunted with it when he was 12 and never complained about recoil.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Punishing? A 6 mm?
faint

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They're noisy but they're not kickers.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6mm Weatherby....the original Punisher Eeker
Whistling

.......???

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had 6mm/284, 240, 6mm/06 (several of them) and 6mm/264.

Recoil is not an issue with any of them. Muzzle blast and especially with light bullets is on the very high side.

6mm/06 is the pick and just use 25/06 brass.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just resize & trim?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being lonely can be a drag.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Is the recoil pad on your nuts??
Big Grin Wink

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My goodness!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blackeyeddueler:
just resize & trim?

I assume you are referring to 6mm/06 and using 25/06 brass.

Simple. Just run through 6mm/06 FLS die with new 25/06 brass and do the same with fired 6mm/06. In other words treat new 25/06 brass and fired 6mm/06 brass the same.

The amount of necking down is extremely small. In fact the neck diameter of a fired 6mm/06 is only very slightly smaller than new 25/06 brass.

HOWEVER, if you use 270 brass then trimming is required as the 270 case is quite a bit longer.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you very much for the information

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
My goodness!

Don't you all laugh at this, before you hear the whole story.

He said he is only loading 6mm.

May be he has a reason.

Years ago I had what they call a frozen shoulder.

Anything touches my arm is so painful.

I was having some physio done, and was getting no where.

One day I was sighting a 243 Winchester, and dropped the rifle on the floor as soon as I fired it!

It was THAT painful.

And I bet no one is going to accuse me of being shy of recoil.

After that I was advised to see a sports doctor.

Which I did, and he gave me some injections that cure it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66756 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Saeed, you make a good point. "Before you criticize, first walk a mile in the man's shoes."
Glad you got your shoulder issue sorted out.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
(Have time to time pain in elbows from too much working with computer. After firing about 20-30 rounds of 500 S&W heavy loads, pain is gone for month or two. Yes, I found it few years ago, and sometimes I shoot it just to "relax" elbows. 585 Hubel express will fix almost anything, but 5 full rounds is more than enough)

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Saeed, you make a good point. "Before you criticize, first walk a mile in the man's shoes."
Glad you got your shoulder issue sorted out.

thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned two 240 wby, still have one. It’s a custom on a Rem 700 action, in a Mcmillan stock. It gets used mostlyfor long range coyote shooting and it excels at that. Also has taken several antelope and deer. I’d call the recoil mild. The report, pretty loud.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bit more kick than a .243.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A man had a sore shoulder and went to the doctor. The doctor gave him a bottle and told him to bring in a urine sample. The man thought urine specimen doesn't have to do with a sore shoulder, I'll show the doc.
So he had his daughter pee in the bottle, had his wife pee in the bottle, took the dipstick out of his car and put some oil in the bottle then he masturbated and squirted into the bottle and shook it up and took it to the doctor.
The doctor tested it and called the man in. Told him, set down, you have problems. Your daughter is pregnant, your wife is having an affair, your car is about to throw a rod and if you don't quit jacking off, your shoulder never will get well.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Only if you think of a 22 as "medium" recoil. Seriously? it's a pussycat..

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7136 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Noticed recoil accumulates over time. The 243 Win is a pussycat until you get in a prairie dog colony and blast away for a few hours. OUCH! Plus it all depends on the rifle platform. Light rifle recoil way more!

The 240 Wby isn't bad at all (yet a bit more than the 243) but it'll start to get your attention after about 100 shots. Cool round however. Saw my buddy shoot many a deer with one.

My 300 RUM gets my attention after about 10-15!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
Noticed recoil accumulates over time. The 243 Win is a pussycat until you get in a prairie dog colony and blast away for a few hours. OUCH! Plus it all depends on the rifle platform. Light rifle recoil way more!

The 240 Wby isn't bad at all (yet a bit more than the 243) but it'll start to get your attention after about 100 shots. Cool round however. Saw my buddy shoot many a deer with one.

My 300 RUM gets my attention after about 10-15!

Zeke

What you say abuout accumulated recoil is very true.

I have used the 375 as an "everything rifle" many times over many years. Shooting in Australia is high volume and doubly so with spotlight shooting, which will be main kangaroos and some foxes and pigs.

The closest you can get to the original cordite ballistics in both velocity and powder weight is with powders of 3031 burn rate and 2208/Varget/4064 not far of. 65 grains of 3031 for 300s and 68 grains with 270s. With 4064 burn rate 68 grains and 71 grains. These loads give just over 2400 f/s and just over 2600 f/s. Original Winchester 270 Power Point and 300 Silvertip ammo used 68 and 71 grain of non canistered 4064.

Go to Re 15 or very compressed 4350 loads and velocity goes up. For a small amount of shooting recoil is close to the same although blast is higher. However, to shoot everyday for a week then Re 15 and 4350 laods are just too much recoil but the loads that are close to the original cordite loads.

I have often thought the 375 H&H when it came out its design/specifications had an upper limit of recoil in mind. Bear in mind when it was intoduced shooting Africa was very different in terms of how much shooting was done and the 375 was a "for everything" calibre.