THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Cheapo plastic stocked 22 semi auto rifle.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheapo plastic stocked 22 semi auto rifle.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
I've been impressed for years ever sine I had a Rem 66 with the feed tube located in the stock. That gun was accurate and relentless in feeding without one jamb after at least several 100's of rounds. After viewing a 66 for sale at auction with a broken stock, my curiosity got the best of me in wondering was it feasible to go full-on custom using a dandy stick of wood and possibly some custom metal including the rear sight & trigger guard. Short answer. Not feasible without making several specialty inletting tools. However, to say I was amazed at all the technology that went onto this model would be an understatement.
With due respect to Remington, the parts breakdown.

66 Complexity

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember the advertisements of these showing a sharpshooter standing on a very large pile of wooden blocks that he shot without any misfires or issues.

A childhood friend had a bolt action version that used for squirrel hunting. Nice rifles, but I prefer wood.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I sold mine because of the boring plastic and cheaply made rear sight thinking I'd run across a Belgian SA-22 Browning with high grade stocks sooner or later. All I've seen were Miroku's and several low grade Belgians.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Those Nylon 66s were/are great little 22s. Mike, I remember the ad. He was trying to beat Ad Toepperwein's record on shooting blocks. He was sponsored by Remington while Ad was a Winchester man using the model 1903.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
I've been impressed for years ever sine I had a Rem 66 with the feed tube located in the stock. That gun was accurate and relentless in feeding without one jamb after at least several 100's of rounds. After viewing a 66 for sale at auction with a broken stock, my curiosity got the best of me in wondering was it feasible to go full-on custom using a dandy stick of wood and possibly some custom metal including the rear sight & trigger guard. Short answer. Not feasible without making several specialty inletting tools. However, to say I was amazed at all the technology that went onto this model would be an understatement.

66 Complexity

The Remington Nylon 66 was an excellent rimfire. We have to keep production costs in mind. For any business to remain viable, revenue must exceed costs. One again, Remington's genius was producing an excellent rimfire that was within working men's budgets.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can't make a custom wood stock for a 66 because the stock itself was part of the receiver! You could have a receiver insert in a wood stock though. DuPont Nylon #66 was a reinforced nylon polymer with lubricity qualities that allowed it to be molded to replace the receiver guide-ways in a conventional metal receiver. No oil required. With today's technologies I suspect a stock could be 3d printed from a master with similar polymers or even metal.

I have a 1972 model 66 that I inherited from my dad at his passing. It shoots 1 in groups at 50 yds all day long with bulk ammo. It is sensitive however to to the barrel lug screw tension and pressure on the for-end as there is only one screw securing the barrel to the stock. When you shoot it you need to support it just beneath the barrel screw. If I was asked to tweak the design I would add a barrel screw about 2 inches forward of the existing screw to positively secure the barrel.

quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:

66 Complexity

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They stopped making them because the mold for the stock wore out. There is no receiver, just a sheet metal cover.

Bought one in 1974, first new gun I ever bought. still have it, shoots and looks as good as when I when I got it.

I remember an ad Remington ran, a commercial fisherman leaning out of the wheel house of a boat, shooting at seals. Touting the all weather durability

There was also a magazine version, lever action, and three bolt actions clip,tube and single shot. All the same nylon

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
And you still see some of all of them periodically at the gun shows but they have certainly gone up in price. If you have one, hang onto it.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote