THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    6mm/.243 85g Wasp Waist SP Bullets

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm/.243 85g Wasp Waist SP Bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Somewhere in the dim past I acquired over 200 loose bullets in plastic bags. Probably from someone here on A/R. I can e-mail or text pictures.

Anyone familiar with these bullets and their use?

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1054 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
quote:
6mm/.243 85g Wasp Waist SP Bullet

Herters made them. I used 22 cal, in a 222 with sub-sonic had pretty good groups. Shot a turkey with it at the base of the neck, "Dead bird"

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael, I believe those are the ones that I sold to you last year. I shot what few I had and they did as good as my other 6mm bullets.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. 6PPC and 6BR it is then. An extra couple of hundred of bullets during this time of shortage is indeed a blessing. Smiler

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1054 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Herter's marketed the "Wasp Waist" bullet. The theory was that the tapered "waist" enhanced the ballistic coefficient. Although as far as I know the bullets performed satisfactorily, the ballistic enhancement was just another of George Leonard Herter's entertainingly concocted sales pitches for one of his products described in great superlatives.

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of my initial reloading equipment was Herters. 1962 or so..... Found loads for 6BR Norma but not 6PPC.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_rule

Popular drag theory in the 1950's for transonic aircraft speeds. It works! But bullets don't have wings. With better BC, bullets may have some traction today for long range shooting though.

Posts: 3665 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All interesting. I'll take some to the range to load and test next week.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They were "Model Perfect".

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I remember them being moderately "ok". Ok on accuracy, and ok on game. They came apart too easily in my memory. I think the early Rem core locks had them beat on all of the above.

Been a long time since I've seen or shot any Herter's bullets. I think I still have a couple die sets somewhere though.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best I've been able to shoot at 200 yards is 1.371 using N133 or Varget. Possible bullet too heavy for 1 in 8.5 twist. Need to try them on my 6mm Creedmore.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Michalski:
Best I've been able to shoot at 200 yards is 1.371 using N133 or Varget. Possible bullet too heavy for 1 in 8.5 twist. Need to try them on my 6mm Creedmore.

You probably need a new rifle. George was never wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Art, Could you send a note to my wife please. And maybe suggest another or bigger safe, Cool

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran