THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Ruger American Predator 6mm Creedmoor

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger American Predator 6mm Creedmoor
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have one on the way, does anyone have any modification recommendations? I hear the stocks aren't very good.

Thanks for your time

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to be flippant, and certainly not offensive, but there is one extensive modification you can make to improve it: Trade it for a real rifle built 30 or 40 years ago.

Posts: 13207 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, quit being such a butt-munch! The RAR have proved themselves in performance as durable, as well as extremely accurate, and I don't think they give up anything to the rifles that were built in yesteryears.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1184 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I don't mean to be flippant, and certainly not offensive, but there is one extensive modification you can make to improve it: Trade it for a real rifle built 30 or 40 years ago.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Funny

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger American Predator. Mine's a .308. I REALLY like it. I also really like all my old wood and blued rifles, but the Predator has a threaded muzzle, a Picatinny rail that allows me to swap day and night scopes easily, a threaded muzzle (though I haven't done anything with it yet), and a flush mount detachable rotary magazine that I really like despite it being plastic. I'm not worried in wet weather, and it's smooth, reliable, and REALLY accurate.

The short action version is really shorter than a 30-06 action. And the whole rifle is compact and handy with a thick enough barrel profile so that it is still easy to shoot off-hand.

The stock will bend up to touch the barrel without a lot of pressure, but even when I rest the end of the forend on the shooting bag to force contact, the groups from the rifle are great. I'm not worried about it.

They make a replacement cocking piece and bolt stop that some people think needs bolstering. I haven't heard of any problems with the factory ones though.

Posts: 1715 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:

animal Big Grin

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27587 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As already stated, these rifles shoot with no mods. When you get it, just shoot it, then form your own opinion. There are aftermarket stocks, etc., but I doubt you’ll need it.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3269 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks everyone

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw a Boyd’s gunstock ad that showed a laminated stock with a separate trigger guard included to replace the molded in guard.

Looks like this may be an improvement.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 927 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
They are good shooting rifles. The Boyd's, Magpul Hunter & Bell & Carlson stocks have been popular mods. I would go with Boyd's or B&C before the magpul.

I've had the American Predator in .22-250, .223 & .204R. Still have an American Ranch in 7.62x39 and an American Centerfire All-weather in 7mm-08. They are all MOA shooters in factory form. Probably couldn't find a factory rifle 10yr-20yr ago that you could get for $249-$449.

The Timney triggers are really nice on these rifles. Some people like the Accu-Trigger style trigger but I think the trigger is the first upgrade to do on these. Next is I like to relieve some material around the barrel to make sure it is free floated...unless you plan on getting an aftermarket stock for it.

I've read tech articles about epoxy filling the stock and adding metal rods to stiffen the foreend...I think I'd just jump into a Bell & Carlson before spending that much time on the original stock.

Enjoy your new purchase, 6mm Creedmoor has been real popular here for our Coyote calling contests. With Suppressor and Berger VLD bullets.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote