THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Synthetic Stock Question ( Updated with final Load pics ) First kill pics too

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Synthetic Stock Question ( Updated with final Load pics ) First kill pics too
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Asking if there is a Synthetic Stock option out there suitable for a Left Hand Sako M591 ?
This model is discontinued so not expecting ready availability of a specifically inletted stock but maybe there is something that would work with a little inlet remodelling or glass bedding.
My rifle is lovely and a delight to shoot ( .243W ) but I'm interested in reducing the weight by replacing the original wooden stock. I use this only on walking hunts and at 4.15 kg / 9.17 lb. ( incl. scope, rings & sling ) it becomes somewhat noticeable after a few hours.
Thankyou for any advice offered.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1986 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're not going to make much difference with a lighter stock, even if you could find one since most of the weight is in the barrel and action.

You might be able to trim 6 oz off with the lightest synthetic if one were available, but the 591 was made for a very short length of time so there is little incentive for manufacturers to make a replacement for the relatively few that are out there. Especially in left hand.

You could get about as much weight reduction by hollowing out the buttstock and forearm, but it will still be less than a quarter of a pound. I'm afraid that as long as you've got a barrel as long and heavy as that one you're just going to have to pack around lots of weight.

Posts: 13213 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A member here was kind enough to point me to Accuflite Arms who have McMillan stocks suitable for the M591 action, and in Left Hand. But this stock weighs close to 2 lb and while lighter than the Sako wooden stock would only reduce total rifle weight to 3.93 kg ( 8.66 lb. ). Still too heavy. I have a Sako AV .270W on which I put a new 24 inch barrel and a NZ made Carbon Fibre stock, bringing total weight ( Scope, Rings, Sling, Sling Studs, Scope Cover ) to 3.65 Kg ( 8.04 lb.). This is very comfortable to carry. A worthwhile difference is the .270W barrel is fluted which certainly shaved off some gms. In hindsight I should also have done this with the .243W barrel.
I agree there are few M591's out there and likely no other after market stock options. Also agree that as long as I want to use this rifle I will have to lug the weight around. It could be worse but I think I'll keep an eye open for a tidy, used Tikka in .243W that I can use as a lighter weight alternative.

Posts: 1986 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Look up Wildcat customs of Canada Good people and they make a stock that is 16 ounces unfinished.
They no longer import to the US but not sure if they are shipping to Kiwi's or not.
Most of the popular synthetic stocks are as heavy or heavier than the wood you have on it.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Watching this. I also has a model 591 hernia machine. The rifle is going nowhere in my case because it is superbly accurate.

Posts: 958 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of your weight is in the barrel. Try to get a carbon fiber wrapped barrel and replace what you have. As has been eluded, take a rasp and put the stock on a diet. Over 30 years ago, Sako actioned were only inletted by Mcmillan. You can try to contact them direct. Personally, I wouldn’t waste the money. Other synthetic stock makers were not producing that inlet on a regular bases. You can try MPI or Brown $$$. Best of luck to you.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Snellstrom
posted 10 July 2022 19:40
Look up Wildcat customs of Canada Good people and they make a stock that is 16 ounces unfinished.
They no longer import to the US but not sure if they are shipping to Kiwi's or not.
Most of the popular synthetic stocks are as heavy or heavier than the wood you have on it.

Thankyou Snellstrom. Currently in conversation with Wildcat and discussing what's possible. A bit to work through. One good thing is shipping to NZ is doable. Cheers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
mlfguns
posted 12 July 2022 09:31
Most of your weight is in the barrel. Try to get a carbon fiber wrapped barrel and replace what you have. As has been eluded, take a rasp and put the stock on a diet. Over 30 years ago, Sako actioned were only inletted by Mcmillan. You can try to contact them direct. Personally, I wouldn’t waste the money. Other synthetic stock makers were not producing that inlet on a regular bases. You can try MPI or Brown $$$. Best of luck to you.

Agree the barrel could be lighter. At this stage I don't plan to change it as accuracy is great and it's good for a few thousand rounds yet ( I hope ). I looked into McMillan but little useful weight saving with their stock. Other makers are few. Limiting factors are Left Hand and a discontinued Sako model. Brown would make one but as you say $$$.
Woodworking the stock would reduce weight but in our environment a synthetic make sense, if something suitable can be found. Talking to Wildcat Composites in Canada. A glimmer of light there - possibly....??
Whatever occurs as the solution is going to be spendy. I know upfront it will involve more cost than is sensible, but what the hell. Sometimes that's the cost of happiness.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
miles58
posted 12 July 2022 00:55
Watching this. I also has a model 591 hernia machine. The rifle is going nowhere in my case because it is superbly accurate.

rotflmo rotflmo Yes, hernia machine describes it well. I always start a walk very happy to carry this rifle and finish thinking I must put it on a diet. Although now not on the original Sako barrel it's still a great shooter. No plans to sell this rifle, ever !
Some of my loads:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As another lefty, I understand your dilemma. You can turn the barrel contour down and or flute and you’ll realize some weight savings. Over all it’s the same rifle with it’s full sentimental value. The worst you’ll have to do is fill in the barrel contour gap with some fiberglass.
In the States, you can pick up a LH Ruger American in .243 win. For $450-520. It’s synthetic and a tack driver. Very light weight. You can hunt with either depending on your hunt. You’ll be miles ahead financially. In fact, you can buy two of those rifles for what that synthetic stock is going to cost you.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took a different approach, I got a L-461, fwt. custom barrel, 20 inches, 6/223 custom wood stock, 5-3/4 lbs and shoots .280 average for 20 groups..

Have you consider turning the barrel down to 550 at the muzzle and 20 inches, you wont lose hardly any velocity but lots of weight and perhaps cutting the wood down, drilling out the butt, the usual stuff to slim one down..Just my 2 bits, you have no other choice to lighten one up and thats removing weight..plastic or wood makes little difference..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41746 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mflguns persuaded me. His, or her, suggestion was the most sensible route in economical terms so I ordered a Ruger American Predator, which is supplied in .243W Left Hand, and picked it up today. Weight wise it's much nicer to heft and I really like the slender pistol grip which is nicely sized for my small hands. It cycles a little roughly and I was disappointed with the condition of the bore which I scoped but probably shouldn't have. But, yes, one gets what one pays for and I can't complain about the cost. A number of other features are quite interesting. Ruger designed this model well but it's obviously made to a price point which shows in the finished product.
I think I'll spend a bit of time tomorrow scrubbing the bore with KG2 Bore Polish which might knock a little roughness off some edges before drawing up a list of the first handloads I'll make up to get things started. I just hope it shoots.
Some pics of the rifle and bore.
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions guys. Appreciated.

Bore pitting, in several places

Rough edges in Leade / Throat. Scars from cutting tools ?

Machining marks (?) and surface rust from storage ( no big deal )

Not impressed with this roughness near the crown. Hope it doesn't cause accuracy issues. The threads came from a couple of dry patches I ran through.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mr. 06-king: I've almost always preferred heavier rifles in that they hold nicer. this spring I carried a 10+ .375 for 9 days on kodiak island. what is interesting is that when I started load development for it, it sure seemed heavy. But then I noticed well into the hunt that I didn't seem to notice the weight all that much. then after I took my bear, my guide-son suggested I carry his lightweight .375 as he was bow hunting. boy did that seem light! while I was carrying mine, I wasn't thinking about the weight, only the hunt. bottom line is I'd just got used to it and the weight didn't bother me at all. just my 2cents worth.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
devere
posted 19 July 2022 02:30
mr. 06-king: I've almost always preferred heavier rifles in that they hold nicer. this spring I carried a 10+ .375 for 9 days on kodiak island. what is interesting is that when I started load development for it, it sure seemed heavy. But then I noticed well into the hunt that I didn't seem to notice the weight all that much. then after I took my bear, my guide-son suggested I carry his lightweight .375 as he was bow hunting. boy did that seem light! while I was carrying mine, I wasn't thinking about the weight, only the hunt. bottom line is I'd just got used to it and the weight didn't bother me at all. just my 2cents worth.

Mr. devere,
Thankyou for your comment. I understand and actually agree completely. On my Africa hunts I carried ( to me ) a heavy rifle. I personally carry my rifle either in hand or by Africa carry the entire time afield. I don't allow others to carry for me. And as you found I was not thinking at all about the carried weight after about day 1. You just adjust and carry on.
The difference between this and carrying my Sako .243W is that predominantly I carry this rifle for a day only per week or fortnite. I dare say if it was being carried day after day I would soon become accustomed to the weight and, in my mind, stop bellyaching about the felt weight. If my new acquisition proves to be a shooter I think it will be a win on the weight saving front.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That rifle looks nice to me and I am a walnut and steel type. It is well balanced in looks and will be in performance. As is, it could shoot lights out. But like all of us rifle loonies, you have to make it your own. Polish away at the bore, receiver raceway and bolt. Then go shoot. Looking forward to seeing the range results. Glad to have helped you spend your money. Regards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, here it is again, pictured on its first range outing. Only put the scope on a couple of days ago. Swarovski Z3. Had one ordered from a LGS that didn't arrive in a shipment so picked this one up ex an auction website. Near new little used and saved a few dollars too.
I'll post a bit more when closer to a final load. Have three powders showing potential so far. My Chrono showed higher than expected velocities from the 22 inch barrel. Could that be related to faster twist barrel...??
For me it handles quite well. As long as it proves to shoot I think I'll enjoy taking this on outings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since the previous post I've had the rifle out to the range a couple more times fine tuning the loads showing potential. The final session was this morning and I now have a principal load with Hornady V-Max 87 gn over RL17 and a backup load with Hornady V-Max 87 gn over AR2213sc ( H4831sc ). Despite my initial concerns about the very rough bore it seems this little rifle will shoot quite nicely. I am very pleased about that. I am less pleased with how quickly the bore copper fouls, which requires scrubbing time to remove, but at least it doesn't seem to affect accuracy much for an interval of about 50 shots.

Principal load

Backup load

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A fineish weather spell here so I took the Ruger out late yesterday afternoon and early this morning. First kills are now on the board. Two Rabbits last night, 36 yds and 96 yds. Not a great test of the accuracy, but satisfactory. First shot was a little high so scope was adjusted 1 click down and should be about perfect now.
This morning 2 Hares ( 159, 149 yds ) and 1 Rabbit. Actually took 3 shots on the Hares as I somehow pulled one. Must have been a bit excited. Shot of the day was the Rabbit 190 yds. A very small target squatted down in rank grass, even with the scope on 10X. Only the head showing so I squeezed off VERY carefully. Rabbit went down head shot. Happy camper. Must say I don't much like the Ruger trigger but I think I am slowly getting used to it.
Shooting the Hornady V-Max 87 gn. A quick and destructive killer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the results. You got yourself a keeper. For the money outlay, it’s a good bang for the buck. The question is how long before you pick up a few more similar rifles in different calibers. Enjoy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
30/06 King:
We differ on rifle weights for sure. Even my Sako .223 after a new 26" barrel and cherry wood stock with a proper LOP to fit my long arms weighs a full 10lbs. I was sneaking in for a shot at a bull elk on an icy trail and hooked the sling on a small stob that dumped my ass hard and spooked the bull. That sling went in the brush. I don't want one on my rifles. I don't even want a back stud on them. Front one is handy for a bipod so I have that on all of them.

My big rifles: '06, .300Win, etc all run 11 pounds. When others day my rifles are too heavy. I tell them: "when my knuckles start dragging on the ground, I just change hands".

You might contact Aussie Steve. Quite a few years ago he ordered a fine stainless barrel and I reshipped it to him as the maker wouldn't. I can't recall if it was him or someone else that I reshipped a foam filled glass coated stock that barely weighed 2 oz's. Those years I reshipped b lot of things to quite a few guys. I have no idea who got what now, or who they bought things from. I sent such items to both Aust and the UK for seven or ten guys. IF I sent that stock to Steve, he should know where it me from. I do recall the man that got it, put it on his rifle and was tickled with how light and durable it was.

As long as it's legal to do so. I would still reship things. I just have them buy and have it sent to me, then reship to them when the seller won't do so. I won't send a barrel any longer.

Those are fine looking rifles you have there. And they shoot well enough even I would be happy.
Fact is, I'd be tickled pink IF I could shoot that well at 200 yards.

Cheers,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my younger days, I liked a 26" pre 64 Win. in 375, another in a custom 404 with a 26 inch barrel, and a few others much the same, they were the best for off hand and running shots Ive ever owned...9 t 10 lbs.

Today I shoot fwt wts, and 22 inch barrels at 8 lbs..

One can usually get by with either as a matter of fact..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41746 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It looks like you got a winner Grant! Were you shooting near home?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Frank,
Yes, close to home. One place about 20 minutes and the other 30 minutes drive. Both very handy. Looks like a fine morning tomorrow so I'm heading out to the second place. Should be Hares and Rabbit about. The farmer told me cows would be in the paddocks so that's my only concern. Usually works out OK though.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I used to drive all the way to Mahoenui to Graeme's old farm. I miss those trips.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fjold
posted 05 October 2022 03:45
I used to drive all the way to Mahoenui to Graeme's old farm. I miss those trips.

Frank

That's getting into the back blocks Frank. A region where time stands still a bit. What were you hunting ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess I will go to my grave with wood stocks, and never a problem and Lord knows they have been hunted to death in the 4 corners of the earth, Maintenace is the key..

Yes, I have a composite stock for my 30-06 to go with its worn to pieces original low comb mod 70 pre 64, but never use it, but should I make a last trip to Alaska, which is unlikely it will never be on a rifle. Im just a wood kind of gun I suppose, its warm and quit, I like the looks and the feel.. sofa

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120