THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Best DEER-only cartridge? (Never for larger game)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best DEER-only cartridge? (Never for larger game)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A mature whitetail deer (buck) can with less than 100lbs. (Coues) or can weigh in excess of 300 lbs. in northern Alberta.
I have taken 1/2 my whitetails with a 243 with little fuss.
If there are areas I do not want to risk following a hit animal I would choose a 270.
Sometimes a 50 yd. run can be a long way if one dives off a cliff or piles through Choa cactus thickets in south Texas. I do not want to follow them off that cliff and drag them back up or fight that cactus recovering them.
I really like Nosler partitions for whitetail. I use 95 gr. NP's at 3150 FPS in a 243 and 130NP's at 3250 FPS in a 270.
I chase very few deer but carefully place my shots.
My preference is bang / flop.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite and choice is the 25-06. I hunt Colorado & Wyoming. I shoot the Winchester 115 gr. Ballistic Silvertip. Has never failed me on Antelope or Deer. Sometimes I shoot a 280 Rem. with 140 gr. Win. Ballistic Silvertips. Both rounds are moving over 3,000 fps.

I've never tried the 6.5 CM, but sounds like a nice round as well, especially for kids/recoil. But I have a couple of 6.5x55s, so I doubt I'll buy a CM.

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

I will stick my neck out and say 90% of deer hunters have no business shooting at 500 yards.

I am always amazed by how many people, when talking about trajectory, discount a difference of two or three inches at 500 yards, saying you can't detect it in the field. (Typically seen when discussing load trajectories and the merits of one vs the other, discounting the fact that most people should be using a rangefinder for anything past 150 yards anyway.)

With an accurate rifle you can absolutely see a difference of two inches. In other words, dial two clicks below your 500 yard zero. If you don't see a difference, you shouldn't be shooting at an animal 500 yards away. Put another way: if your wobble area at 500 is two inches, you probably shouldn't be shooting at an animal.

Then we should not be hunting at all then, if are going to consider our wobbles.

In the real hunting world, where one shoots off a rucksack, rock, tree or shooting sticks, one WILL wobble.

Trouble is knowing when to pull the trigger.

I have no idea how people hunt deer in America, I am talking about my own hunts in Africa.

Almost all my shooting is off shooting sticks.

And I certainly wobble non stop!

Last year I shot a kongoni at 0ver 400 meters, off the shooting sticks.

Using a 375/404 which is sighted about an inch high at 100 yards.

I do not like, or make a habit of, shooting past 200 yards if I can help it.

But, when I do I seem to hit them.

I have had occasions when I have refused to take a shot at much closer range, all due to the wobbles!

They can be rather drastic wobbles when you have been running uphill chasing an animal, and as you come over the top and him standing looking back at you.

The wobbles are so large one can barely hit the hillside he is on, let alone the animal! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We only shoot trophy deer off our whitetail lease. At least 7 years old.
Our lease by rule state no shots be taken over 200 yrs.
One of our members took a shot beyond that range with his 6.5 CM. A few drops of blood were found but not the deer and it was never seen again.
Fortunately it was a management buck. He found out his CM was not magic nor his shooting skills in the real world what he thought they were.
We looked hard for that deer and got into plenty of choa.

EZ
quote:
quote:
quote:

I will stick my neck out and say 90% of deer hunters have no business shooting at 500 yards.

I am always amazed by how many people, when talking about trajectory, discount a difference of two or three inches at 500 yards, saying you can't detect it in the field. (Typically seen when discussing load trajectories and the merits of one vs the other, discounting the fact that most people should be using a rangefinder for anything past 150 yards anyway.)

With an accurate rifle you can absolutely see a difference of two inches. In other words, dial two clicks below your 500 yard zero. If you don't see a difference, you shouldn't be shooting at an animal 500 yards away. Put another way: if your wobble area at 500 is two inches, you probably shouldn't be shooting at an animal.

Then we should not be hunting at all then, if are going to consider our wobbles.

In the real hunting world, where one shoots off a rucksack, rock, tree or shooting sticks, one WILL wobble.

I have no idea how people hunt deer in America, I am talking about my own hunts in Africa.

I have had occasions when I have refused to take a shot at much closer range, all due to the wobbles!

They can be rather drastic wobbles when you have been running uphill chasing an animal, and as you come over the top and him standing looking back at you.

The wobbles are so large one can barely hit the hillside he is on, let alone the animal! rotflmo

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
A postscript for those who have mentioned the 7x57. Hopefully, they would vote 7-08 for that. The 7x57 and 7-08 are quite similar ballistically.

The 280 and 7mmRM were not listed since most would not limit them to deer-size. I have been inconsistent here because the 264WinMag is pretty similar to the 7mmRM.

If one extracts for caliber the groupings are interesting so far at 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 caliber.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Saeed, as you know, the allowable "wobble error" is a function of the your position (standing, sitting, bipod, sticks, etc), range, your ability to call the wind correctly (which is hugely dependent on range), and the accuracy of your rifle. At 500 yards, shooting prone, I am 100 percent this year hitting a 10" target. Shooting sitting with a sling? Not so good.

Perhaps my 2 inch wobble error is a bit too restrictive for 500 yards, but you get the point.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
A postscript for those who have mentioned the 7x57. Hopefully, they would vote 7-08 for that. The 7x57 and 7-08 are quite similar ballistically.

The 280 and 7mmRM were not listed since most would not limit them to deer-size. I have been inconsistent here because the 264WinMag is pretty similar to the 7mmRM.

If one extracts for caliber the groupings are interesting so far at 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 caliber.

I agree with you on the 7-08...like the 300 H&H, I think a lot of guys love the nostalgia even though there are better rounds out there.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree with you on the 7-08...like the 300 H&H, I think a lot of guys love the nostalgia even though there are better rounds out there.

The 300 H&H is also such a great looking round.

If I had the money to get an absolute top end wood gun made by D'Arcy Echols or his equivalent I would be torn between the 270, 300 H&H and 375 H&H. I think my choice would probably just come down to the time and day I made the choice but I probably have a slight leaning to the 300 H&H. If it was a 300 H&H and I had lots of money left I think it would be a black cheque to Ed Weatherby for a 300 Weatherby.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I voted for the .243 only because .222 or .223 was not included. Personally I don't take 400 or 500 yard shots. Put a bullet of any size in a deer's heart, lung or liver, you have a dead deer. BTW this would apply to elk--the bullet in the heart lung or liver and a .243 would do that.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
I voted for the .243 only because .222 or .223 was not included. Personally I don't take 400 or 500 yard shots. Put a bullet of any size in a deer's heart, lung or liver, you have a dead deer. BTW this would apply to elk--the bullet in the heart lung or liver and a .243 would do that.

Again, I apologize. I didn't really think that anyone would call the 223 a "best" deer-only rifle, but I suppose if one thought of a 243 as a good elk rifle, OK.

I've gotten a 223 Tikka T3 Superlite for the grandkids but I would only support their hunting deer with it if they showed that they really knew what they were doing. Monolithic bullets, for maximal penetration.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
quote:

The 300 H&H is also such a great looking round.

If I had the money to get an absolute top end wood gun made by D'Arcy Echols or his equivalent I would be torn between the 270, 300 H&H and 375 H&H. I think my choice would probably just come down to the time and day I made the choice but I probably have a slight leaning to the 300 H&H. If it was a 300 H&H and I had lots of money left I think it would be a black cheque to Ed Weatherby for a 300 Weatherby.

I think I would make mine a .30-06 - and I am not really a huge fan, but nothing is more classic except perhaps a .375 H&H. 270 would be in the running too, but I would rather have a .280.

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have taken 1/2 my whitetails with a 243 with little fuss.
If there are areas I do not want to risk following a hit animal I would choose a 270.

I hear you.
And there in lies the reason for discussions of "best," though here it is with a stipulation of not being an elk rifle.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think I would make mine a .30-06 - and I am not really a huge fan, but nothing is more classic except perhaps a .375 H&H. 270 would be in the running too, but I would rather have a .280.

I would run from a 280 Big Grin I don't why but I have always had trouble with 7mm. Given 7mm Rem a few goes and I have had fucked up dies, you name it. Almost like God was sending me a message the 7mm bore size is not for you

On the other hand I have always been lucky with the 270 and apart from the 270 itself also the 270/308 Norma and 270 Wby.

Yet I could make a strong story for the 280 or 280AI and also the 7mm Rem and 7mm Wby. The 7mm Wby is the only Wby calibre I have never owned.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
416Tanzan--Many years ago, before I saw youth make many one shot kills with .222/.223 I thought too small, wont work---wrong. Bullet placement is the trump. Mono bullet---not needed. 55 grain cup and core such as Remington Corelokt all that is needed. Take those grandkids out and if they can hit something the size of a basketball, they can hit the kill zone and with their young eyes, and a gun that is not stomping them, most likely they'll be well inside a basketball. BTW I didn't say .243 BEST for elk, said it would work, wouldn't be my first choice, but I would take the right shot with one. 25-06 would not be my choice for a moose, but I did see a young lad make a clean one shot kill on a moose with one.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
416Tanzan--Many years ago, before I saw youth make many one shot kills with .222/.223 I thought too small, wont work---wrong. Bullet placement is the trump. Mono bullet---not needed. 55 grain cup and core such as Remington Corelokt all that is needed. Take those grandkids out and if they can hit something the size of a basketball, they can hit the kill zone and with their young eyes, and a gun that is not stomping them, most likely they'll be well inside a basketball. BTW I didn't say .243 BEST for elk, said it would work, wouldn't be my first choice, but I would take the right shot with one. 25-06 would not be my choice for a moose, but I did see a young lad make a clean one shot kill on a moose with one.

Thank you for the encouragement with kids and the 223.
Back in the day we used a 222 (50 and 55 gn Sierra cup and core) on oribi, a little 40-lb. antelope. Geese, too. It worked great, It seemed to need multiple shots on impala-sized game but that was possibly due to lacking a monometal bullet. We once tracked a wounded cob about six miles to recovery. The knowledge leaves me reticent to recommend the 223, but again, modern bullets would seem to change the picture.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
posted Hide Post
416Tanzan--That 6 mile tracking job on a cob sounds like possibly poor shot placement to me. Where was it hit? Poor shot placement from a larger cal would have had same results. I have no experience with shooting impalas---do prefer Ford's but don't dislike Chevy's enough to shoot an Impala)

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
All those calibers are long action (even 260 really) except for 243 and 6.5CM

Does grand kids mean a light rifle, if not then long action = 270.

If factory light rifle then 6.5CM (even though its made for an AR-10)

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
416Tanzan--That 6 mile tracking job on a cob sounds like possibly poor shot placement to me. Where was it hit? Poor shot placement from a larger cal would have had same results. I have no experience with shooting impalas---do prefer Ford's but don't dislike Chevy's enough to shoot an Impala)

Sometimes stuff just not die easy especially in Africa.

I have see an impala with 3 30/06 180 grain Barnes tsx and 2 470 finally die by a tracker stabbing it in the brain. The whole shoulder was literally blown off.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:

Absolutely poor shot placement. Back edge of lungs, but not enough of them, apparently. More details no longer remembered.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW what is a cob?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW what is a cob?

Kob is how it is normally spelled; an African antelope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another AZ writer---Thanks for the clarification. I read that a cob was a male swan and I was wondering how you could track a bird 6 miles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive know a couple of gun scribes that could track a bird six miles, they used a piece of machinery called a type writer back then. It also killed deer with a pistol at 6oo yards on the run.... rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Ive know a couple of gun scribes that could track a bird six miles, they used a piece of machinery called a type writer back then. It also killed deer with a pistol at 6oo yards on the run.... rotflmo

Reminds me of you and those 500 yard running elk shots you brag about........

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the responses. I am learning something. After a week it may be good to summarize:

quote:

Out of 69 votes:
243Wn -- 5 -- 07%

257Rm -- 10 --14%
25--06 -- 5 -- 07%

260Rm -- 5 -- 07%
6.5Crd -- 8 --12%
6.5Swd -- 6 -- 09%
264wM -- 3 -- 04%
270Wn -- 21 --30%
7--08R -- 6 -- 09%

What am I learning?

Surprisingly, only a few, less than 10% consider the 243 Win to be to be "best-deer-only," 99% adequate for deer and not a dual caliber for elk or larger game. Since the other choices are all ballistically superior to the 243, that means that those <10% considered all of the more powerful cartridges reasonable elk cartridges. But 90%+ would draw the line farther up. Maybe we should have included "none of the above".

The 25 caliber [6.3mm] is the surprising figure. Ten out of 69 supported the 257 Roberts. It is quite a great "sleeper" cartridge, overshadowed by the 243 in general popularity but retaining recognition for its appealing qualities. Putting the 243 and 257 Roberts together, we also see that almost 80% consider only the larger cartridges to be adequate elk rounds in their own right. And the 25 caliber itself, that is the 257 Roberts and 25-06, along with the 243, account for 2/7 28% of those stipulating a "best deer-only" cartridge.

The poll also confirms my thoughts about the 26 caliber. This is where a large number drew the line between "deer only" and "deer plus larger game": 19 out of 69 without the magnum 28%, 22 out of 69 including the magnum 32%. The inclusion of the 264WM was probably a mistake on my part since it overlooks the 6.5 PRC and 6.5/284, which are halfway between the Creed and the Mag. Those latter two are ballistically fairly close to the 270 Win and would have given the poll more homogeneity. After all, after the 264WM the next option would theoretically be a 7mmRM. The larger magnums like 7mm, 300, and 338 were not included as "deer-only" be definition, so the 264 should probably have been left out, too. Nevertheless, 4% considered the 264WM to be on the light side for elk and best restricted to deer-only, where it dominated all the other deer-only cartridges. So the 260, 6.5Creed and 6.5 Swede make a natural group with the same caliber and very similar case capacity. The Creed only stands out by demanding a fast-twist barrel. Together their 19 votes ranks just beside the next item on the poll.

The 270 Winchester stands out as the run-away individual selection as the best "deer-only" cartridge. Both Elmer Keith and Jack O'Connor would take satisfaction in this. Elmer would say, "Yes, but the 270 is not an elk cartridge!" Jack would smile and retort that the 270 stands out as supreme for a deer-only choice. [Yes, this is partially a reflection of the poll where the 280, 7mmRM, 308 and 30-06 were defined to be dual-purpose cartridges including elk-sized game, although the 270 and 280 are tweedle-dum and tweedle-dee.] This poll and the choices also confirm the divisions within AccRel itself. "Medium bore" cartridges are defined to be 270 and up, while the .264 and below are "small bore". 42 out of 69, a distinctive majority would agree with this. We could paraphrase this as saying that the majority would not recommend "small bores" to be used on elk or larger.

Finally, we come to the small-capacity 7mm cartridge. Six votes, almost 10%, chose this as the best "deer-only". Since the 270 shoots flatter and with more energy, we may interpret the choice for 7-08 as a vote that the 270 is a dual-purpose deer+elk round. The 7-08, apparently, would belong with the 24-26 caliber deer-only cartridges. This was probably a close call for the poll since the 270 only marginally outclasses the 7-08 ballistically.

What have we learned? That the 26-27 caliber [.264--.277, 6.5--6.8] is the divide on the best DEER-ONLY cartridge. For those who do not anticipate using a rifle for elk or moose, then the 26 to 27 caliber range is where the majority would recommend starting a search for a deer rifle.

We'll see how these results turn out should others want to join the poll of the next week.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your entire poll is biased by the choices you presented. There was no 7RM, .308, or .30-06.

As for the Roberts, like its pappy the 7x57, it is too long for a short action, so given that, why not a .25-06? Another cartridge that lives only due to the nostalgia factor, IMO.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Geeze AZ, your a little tough on some great rounds!! rotflmo and a bit contradictory I think, not real sure! wave

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
T think the poll just shows what most people already know and that is guns/hunting forums are not representative of calibre selection used by the average shooter.

Twice as man 257 Roberts as 243 on the poll.

AR and also Australia's biggest guns/hunting forum give the impression that calibres like the 375 H&H, 9.3 X 62, 404 Jeffery etc. are behind every second bush.

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your entire poll is biased by the choices you presented. There was no 7RM, .308, or .30-06.

Be my guest and argue that the 7RM, 308, and 30-06 are not elk rounds and not to be used for elk.
There are probably some who feel that way, sometimes I do, but I recognize it as my own preference, not a recommendation for others.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Such a limitation removes the need for 30 caliber, in my opinion. The 308 and 30-06, plus magnums, all make excellent deer rifles but they are also intended to be used for larger species.

While what you say is very true, if Americans are anything like Australians then plenty buy/use 7mm Rem, 300 Win/Wby and of course 308 and 30/06 and no intention of shooting anything bigger than goats, pigs and red kangaroos.

However, I understand the restrictions you placed in your poll.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Never mind it was used for elephant at one time, not very successfully, the 6.5X54 M/S is one I am going to try out on whitetail, as soon as it gets back from the gunsmith. Be Well. Packy

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you for the responses. I am learning something. After a week it may be good to summarize:

quote:

Out of 69 votes:
243Wn -- 5 -- 07%

257Rm -- 10 --14%
25--06 -- 5 -- 07%

260Rm -- 5 -- 07%
6.5Crd -- 12 --12%
6.5Swd -- 6 -- 09%
264wM -- 3 -- 04%
270Wn -- 21 --30%
7--08R -- 6 -- 09%

What am I learning?

Surprisingly, only a few, less than 10% consider the 243 Win to be to be "best-deer-only," 99% adequate for deer and not a dual caliber for elk or larger game. Since the other choices are all ballistically superior to the 243, that means that those <10% considered all of the more powerful cartridges reasonable elk cartridges. But 90%+ would draw the line farther up. Maybe we should have included "none of the above".

The 25 caliber [6.3mm] is the surprising figure. Ten out of 69 supported the 257 Roberts. It is quite a great "sleeper" cartridge, overshadowed by the 243 in general popularity but retaining recognition for its appealing qualities. Putting the 243 and 257 Roberts together, we also see that almost 80% consider only the larger cartridges to be adequate elk rounds in their own right. And the 25 caliber itself, that is the 257 Roberts and 25-06, along with the 243, account for 2/7 28% of those stipulating a "best deer-only" cartridge.

The poll also confirms my thoughts about the 26 caliber. This is where a large number drew the line between "deer only" and "deer plus larger game": 19 out of 69 without the magnum 28%, 22 out of 69 including the magnum 32%. The inclusion of the 264WM was probably a mistake on my part since it overlooks the 6.5 PRC and 6.5/284, which are halfway between the Creed and the Mag. Those latter two are ballistically fairly close to the 270 Win and would have given the poll more homogeneity. After all, after the 264WM the next option would theoretically be a 7mmRM. The larger magnums like 7mm, 300, and 338 were not included as "deer-only" be definition, so the 264 should probably have been left out, too. Nevertheless, 4% considered the 264WM to be on the light side for elk and best restricted to deer-only, where it dominated all the other deer-only cartridges. So the 260, 6.5Creed and 6.5 Swede make a natural group with the same caliber and very similar case capacity. The Creed only stands out by demanding a fast-twist barrel. Together their 19 votes ranks just beside the next item on the poll.

The 270 Winchester stands out as the run-away individual selection as the best "deer-only" cartridge. Both Elmer Keith and Jack O'Connor would take satisfaction in this. Elmer would say, "Yes, but the 270 is not an elk cartridge!" Jack would smile and retort that the 270 stands out as supreme for a deer-only choice. [Yes, this is partially a reflection of the poll where the 280, 7mmRM, 308 and 30-06 were defined to be dual-purpose cartridges including elk-sized game, although the 270 and 280 are tweedle-dum and tweedle-dee.] This poll and the choices also confirm the divisions within AccRel itself. "Medium bore" cartridges are defined to be 270 and up, while the .264 and below are "small bore". 42 out of 69, a distinctive majority would agree with this. We could paraphrase this as saying that the majority would not recommend "small bores" to be used on elk or larger.

Finally, we come to the small-capacity 7mm cartridge. Six votes, almost 10%, chose this as the best "deer-only". Since the 270 shoots flatter and with more energy, we may interpret the choice for 7-08 as a vote that the 270 is a dual-purpose deer+elk round. The 7-08, apparently, would belong with the 24-26 caliber deer-only cartridges. This was probably a close call for the poll since the 270 only marginally outclasses the 7-08 ballistically.

What have we learned? That the 26-27 caliber [.264--.277, 6.5--6.8] is the divide on the best DEER-ONLY cartridge. For those who do not anticipate using a rifle for elk or moose, then the 26 to 27 caliber range is where the majority would recommend starting a search for a deer rifle.

We'll see how these results turn out should others want to join the poll of the next week.

This is absolutly an absurd extrapolation. You specifically asked people to pick a “deer only” cartridge and to exclude considerations that it would be used for elk. No ones answer connects the dots on what they think is a minimum for elk or what is inadequate. In fact your survey doesn’t ask any additional questions to the participants as to why they choose the cartridge as being the best for deer.

I am back from a long Hiatus... or whatever.
Take care.
smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Geeze AZ, your a little tough on some great rounds!! rotflmo and a bit contradictory I think, not real sure! wave

I plead guilty for being hard on the Roberts, 7x57, and 300 H&H. Much rather have a .25-06, .280, or 300 RUM.

But hey, while we were all engaged in some inane cartridge debate LARRY SHORES KILLED A STONE SHEEP!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...As for the Roberts, like its pappy the 7x57, it is too long for a short action, so given that, why not a .25-06? Another cartridge that lives only due to the nostalgia factor, IMO.

Well, I have a .257 Roberts LH Short Action Dakota 76 and it feeds 110 grain Accubond Nosler factory loads perfectly. Did I get a freak rifle, or are you just pitching the 25-'06? (great cartridge also).

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alec Torres:
quote:
...As for the Roberts, like its pappy the 7x57, it is too long for a short action, so given that, why not a .25-06? Another cartridge that lives only due to the nostalgia factor, IMO.

Well, I have a .257 Roberts LH Short Action Dakota 76 and it feeds 110 grain Accubond Nosler factory loads perfectly. Did I get a freak rifle, or are you just pitching the 25-'06? (great cartridge also).

Well, I am wrong then - wouldn't be the first time - and I learned something, so thank you. If it fits in a SA, then I "hereby" bless it with holy water (for what that is worth).

My point is, if you have to use a LA, there are better choices. But a short action changes that - just like I love the .308 Win over the .30-06.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
257 Creedmoor would be the bees knees for those does. I hope it goes commercial. Some good feedback from wildcatters.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the best deer cartage, is like saying, what is the best motor oil for my car, there is no answer.. deer size game its hard to beat any good short action 260, 6.5 creed, 7MM-08. most important is bullet placement I shoot 260 & 7-08 no long action rifles...

Posts: 1134 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking, still, about short actions, weights, and what I have found to be good for us in the past. I know I'm a 358 nut, but the 358 Winchester is a great DRT deer rifle. I like the 200 gr SPCL from Remington when it is available along with the 200 gr rn for the 35 Remington. It hits hard and rarely do you have to track anything. The medium bore guns do well. 348, 33, and 358 Winchesters are in the midrange DRT calibers I like I have two of them and they work. Be Well. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 Grendel was nominated in one of the earlier posts but not included in the summary.

It certainly qualifies as a “best deer only” cartridge. It has the oomph to get the job done, reaches out far enough for most deer shooters, and can work in micro-action bolt rifles and Ar15 type actions.

Further, it has a superb track record.

Posts: 89 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 11 April 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
I'm thinking, still, about short actions, weights, and what I have found to be good for us in the past. I know I'm a 358 nut, but the 358 Winchester is a great DRT deer rifle. I like the 200 gr SPCL from Remington when it is available along with the 200 gr rn for the 35 Remington. It hits hard and rarely do you have to track anything. The medium bore guns do well. 348, 33, and 358 Winchesters are in the midrange DRT calibers I like I have two of them and they work. Be Well. Packy

I have never shot a deer past 150 yards in MN, so one of these days I am going to get me a .358 Win, just for the hell of it.