Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Creedmoor - why?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And your point is?

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a Hunter,
While I agee that many of the calibers that have made the long haul started off slow and earned the right of passage is a good point, the .338 Win being a prime example but not all of them as there are exceptions such as the 300 win. mag and 7mm Rem magnum, going back to the 30-30, they came in with a bang and just got bigger as years went by..

I believe the Creedmore is an awesome little caliber, Ideal for deer etc., don't get me wrong, my post was simply that I do not trust Remington or Winchester these days as they have stopped production on so many calibers they have introduced..Im not sure what the future of the Creedmore or any caliber is these days in the long haul, or any of the new calibers coming out, it seems to me the oldies are the thing today, Take a peek at sales of Hollowell and Lipskys and the special order guns they are re-introducing, some with wonderful old calibers but ammo is hard to come by...Im just making a educated guess based on what Ive seen over the years, and I may be wrong, but its worth consideration..I got burned with the 5mm, 225 Win., 284, and then the ammo reduction over the last couple of years based on sales, we lost so many good old calibers, many of which I have..

At any rate I feel it's worth some discussion.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU COULD FEEL LIKE YOU GOT BURNED BY THE 284. Although factory ammo is not available there is excellent brass available. Most of us that own 284 neck up 6.5x284 brass from Lapua, Norma. Winchester 284 brass is frequently available. If you would search I'm sure that you could find factory loaded ammo by other than the big three.

Midway is selling 284 Winchester factory loads.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree on the 284 and I was fortunate to be able to acquire several hundred rounds of loaded and brass for the 225.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Just got one given to me.

A Tikka T3x.

But, having no ammo or brass, I could not wait to shoot it.

I had to make cases out of 308 Winchester brass.

The method I found works best is:

1. Anneal the brass.
2. Turn some brass off the neck and part of the shoulder.
3. Size down in 7-08 Remington die
4. Trim to 1.920
5. Size in 6.5 Creedmoor body die.
6. Size in FL 6.5 Creedmoor die, by screwing the die further down from just touching the shell holder by about a 1/4 turn.
This last step is required for the brass to chamber.

Only tried one powder and bullet combination so far.

RWS 5341 primers
RWS 308 reformed brass
Sierra 140 MK
35.0 Reloader 15 was 2359 fps with an ES 23. Group was 0.349 for 5 shots at 100 yards.
36.0 2423 - 18 0.657
37.0 2483 - 6 0.313

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At my local big box stores, there is more Creedmor ammo than anything besides the usual standards (7 Rem, 30-06, 270). There are more choices at these stores then ANYTHING else in its class, 6mm rem, 257, 25-06, 260, 7-08.....sure online there are choices for even obscure cartridges. The vast majority of shooters don't buy online. But loonies tend to forget we are the fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a tiny percent, of the driving market force.

Accurate, affordable rifles - check
Higher end rifles for those with more money - check
Affordable *easily available* accurate ammo - check
Lots of articles being written about its virtues - check
Wide killing range of whitetail - check
*again remember, anything beyond whitetail is fractions of buyers
Available from many ammo AND rifle manufacturers... biggest check.

That last part, is what REALLY drives success these days. A LOT of shooters are brand loyal. Grandpa shot Remington, dad shot Remington, I shoot Remington, that thinking is alive and well. I only shoot Federal/Hornady/Remington ammo.

It was made for a very specific purpose (off the shelf high power comp) and it turns out its great at every point I listed above. It's at least the cartridge of the decade, if not so far this century

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Just got one given to me.

A Tikka T3x.

But, having no ammo or brass, I could not wait to shoot it.

I had to make cases out of 308 Winchester brass.

The method I found works best is:

1. Anneal the brass.
2. Turn some brass off the neck and part of the shoulder.
3. Size down in 7-08 Remington die
4. Trim to 1.920
5. Size in 6.5 Creedmoor body die.
6. Size in FL 6.5 Creedmoor die, by screwing the die further down from just touching the shell holder by about a 1/4 turn.
This last step is required for the brass to chamber.

Only tried one powder and bullet combination so far.

RWS 5341 primers
RWS 308 reformed brass
Sierra 140 MK
35.0 Reloader 15 was 2359 fps with an ES 23. Group was 0.349 for 5 shots at 100 yards.
36.0 2423 - 18 0.657
37.0 2483 - 6 0.313

Saeed,
22-250 brass may be easier, the cartridges are pretty close

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I took the 6.5 Creednoor to the range the day before antelope season and with both the Federal 140gr SP and Hornady 120gr SP loads, I got bughole groups (two witnesses). Both loads shot to the same POI If it wasn't raining, I might have tried for five-shot groups.

I can't wait to start handloading for it.

George
P.S. And I got my pronghorn with the .243 Ackley. Smiler

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What did you buy George?

I am sorely tempted!

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
What did you buy George?

I am sorely tempted!

I bought a left-hand Ruger American Predator with threaded muzzle.

I checked it for contact along the barrel (there was none), lightened the trigger to 3lbs (from 4.5lbs.) and cleaned it. The scope is a Burris 3-9x 40mm with illuminated ballistic plex reticle.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
What makes it better than a .260 Remington in a bolt gun for hunting or target?

George

Nothing.

I bet the same dedication to a 7mm-08 would best the Creedmore. The 308 win already does as well.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
What makes it better than a .260 Remington in a bolt gun for hunting or target?

George

Popularity and factory support. You can go into a store and buy a good rifle and quality ammo off the shelf.

If you reload and already have a 260, then that is probably better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

I looked at a Kimber Hunter this morning. Only 6.5CM available locally. And they have Ammo.

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by analog_peninsula:
The most serious advantages are in factory ammo quality and mindshare. Remember, only a small percentage of shooters reload, so they'll gravitate to cartridges with inexpensive high quality factory ammo.

Don't underestimate the mindshare thing either. Hot products create their own ecosystems which in turn foster the adoption of those products, creating a cycle of success.

That's exactly what is happening. I remember the "the burn of shorter and more efficient powder column" of the WSM rifles. Still, what a lot of people don't realize is that the same caliber bullets are being shot out of the "new" rifle. Gun manufacturers need to sell guns, and gun articles are written to persuade readers.

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive been strunghaltered and gilflurted, I give up, please accept my sincere apologizes, every red blooded American shooter deserves a new caliber in a new gun at least once a year!! Guess Im so old my give a shitter is in neutral!! beer

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I tried the Koolaid and bought a 6.5 Creedmore in the Ruger American Predator about a month ago.

I decided to leave the factory rail on it as I already had some Warne rings and a VX2 laying around. That old friction 1 moa adjustment
3-9x40 VX2 gets put on just about all of my new rifles for testing.

With factory Hornady 140 grn HPBT ammo it shoots sub MOA with very little recoil being it is a touch heavier then a sporter.

I loaded some 130 grn Accubonds over 37 grns of Varget and I also made a slick muzzle brake for it last week and havn't test fired it since but I bet its a keeper

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I bought a Ruger American Predator 6.5CM to see what all the fuss was about a year a half or so ago. It's the best $350 I've spent on anything in a long time. I've shot nothing but factory ammo through it and all has been sub MOA, but it's spectacular with Hornaday 120gr A-Max ammo routinely giving me 1/4MOA at 200 yards.

Where it really shines is with new shooters as there is virtually no recoil making it easy to teach good habits with positive results. Plus it's relatively cheap to feed with quality factory ammo.

Lately every time I go to a gun shop the selection of ammo seems to grow. I have an assortment of new hunting ammo to try and will likely leave my .270's home again this year in favor of hunting with my 6.5CM.

As a side note;
Just think of how popular the 6.5X55 would be here in the US if it received the factory support and press a century ago that the 6.5CM is receiving now. It would've taken the wind out of the sails on the .270 Win

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot nothing but factory ammo through it and all has been sub MOA, but it's spectacular with Hornaday 120gr A-Max ammo routinely giving me 1/4MOA at 200 yards. Quote from Tree'em

I'll call this time for the BS flag!

posted Hide Post
I'm styill awaiting dies, brass, and projectiles so I haven't loaded for it yet. however, the groups I've shot with factory hunting ammunition have shown the rifle has promise.

I have to see whether it holds true when I screw on a suppressor. Wink

George

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I've shot nothing but factory ammo through it and all has been sub MOA, but it's spectacular with Hornaday 120gr A-Max ammo routinely giving me 1/4MOA at 200 yards. Quote from Tree'em

I'll call this time for the BS flag!

No BS about it.
I thought the first group was a fluke but the next 12 groups with Hornaday 120gr A-Max's confirmed it wasn't.
This is the most accurate factory rifle with factory ammo I've ever had. Only thing close was my Remington 788 .308 and that was phenomenal too.

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Video of my 6.5 with a top ported brake

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may need to get a barrel for my blaser r-8.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Ruger Hawkeye predator last week and after a 15 round break in followed by two fowler shots turned in a half MOA group with Winchester a factory 142 grain Accubonds

My 10-year-old son was chomping at the bit to shoot it so I let him take a doe with it a couple days ago in North Carolina. He was impressed with the lack of recoil and we were both impressed with the bullet performance on the deer. It left a tremendous blood trail and went a very short distance before piling up.

I shot a buck later in the day with my Ruger American predator using Hornaday 120 grain GMX factory ammo. This is the second dear I have taken with the 6.5 and 120 grain GMX. Both were one shot kills but they both went a little further than I would prefer before expiring.

My son was so impressed with the lack of recoil and ease of hitting accurately with it that he wants to hunt with the 6.5 Creedmoor the rest of this year instead of his 6x45. After just one round with it he feels confident enough to try shooting the 10" steel plate at 300 yards this weekend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think this whole Creedmore thing is so stupid. Next we need a 7mm CM and a 30 CM. Absolutely nothing of real value will change!

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5x55 has been with us since long before I was born .My own has been here for almost 50 years. On a M98 it's served me well .
But America always wants to re-invent the wheel. It was the Norwegian and Swedish military round so you can ditch the Swedish part of the name . 6.5x55 that Finn Aagaard said was the perfect deer cartridge and I agree. So all you slow thinkers can now join the real world ! wave

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 Creedmoor does a great job of replacing the 6.5 Jap for which brass is difficult to get. I have, so far, resisted any urge to buy a reamer or build a rifle in the Creedmoor. I do have a 6.5x47 reamer and brass but have not built that one either. I prefer cases with a bit more taper. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 Creedmoor (48.8mm) is virtually the same as the 6.5x47. Not really much difference. From all accounts the x47 is easy to work up loads for so if you have the reamer for that I'd go with that.

I went with the Creedmoor because at the time it was harder to get Lapua stuff for me and I had a friend that loaned me his new PTG reamer. it has been good and forgiving to load for.

People had a lot of bad things to say about the .270 when it came out as well. Never heard a lot of bad press about the x47 though. I guess people don't want to offend foreigners, huh.

If we never looked for newer and better things we would have been deprived of a hell of a lot of great cartridges over the years.

The 7-08 is just an Americanized 7x57. Think of the 6.5 Creedmoor as a shortened 6.5x55 that's easier to chamber for ( 30-06 head size)and get brass for (in this country).

Posts: 1111 | Location: Blooming Grove, Tx. | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That which has been is that which will be.
And, that which has been done is that which will be done. So, there is nothing new under the sun.

Ecclesiastes 1:9

The Creedmoor is neither more nor less good than a couple dozen other fine 6.5 cartridges. Spend the same amount of time and money developing one of the others and it will shoot with the "newest, latest, greatest". Mostly it's splitting hairs.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They change the headlights on an automobile and a certain number of folks will go screaming out to buy. And, as Mark Twain tells us, once done, the buyer certainly isn't gonna tell how dumb he was to trash his ole car so he could buy a new one. But rather, he is gonna praise it to the high heavens and brag about how smart he was to go further into debt to have fancy headlights.
there are just certain people that have got to have the latest of things. Madison Avenue grows fat off of those people.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They make it in LH and its accurate, good ammo cheap. Not fussy at all with the shorter case long modern bullets are no issue.

Tough to dislike a rifle out of the box with minimal tuning and load work up that shoots well under 1" like the Ruger American
LH 6.5 Creedmoor. Good ammo is under $26 a box here in Alaska. I was very happy to give Ruger my money for a LH 6.5 CM!

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 6.5 Creed because I wanted to, a T3X. I only have myself to please.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, You are right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the Ruger LH Predators in 6.5 CM. Removed the action and cleaned up the stock so it didnt touch the barrel then snipped a loop of spring from the trigger. Cleaned it, put it back together and then mounted a Leupold VX2 3x9. Bought some cheap ammo, Hornady 129 gr Whitetail loads. Bench rest shooting is not my strong suit. But it was easy for me to shoot under 1/2 MOA.

Whats not to like about a rifle that cost me about $415? Compact package, great trigger, very accurate, feeds and ejects 100%. I am thankful Ruger does not forget us southpaws.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharps4590:
The Creedmoor is neither more nor less good than a couple dozen other fine 6.5 cartridges.

Right. Except for availability and factory support.

I shoot a 7mm WSSM. This is a wildcat with no support, but I made it in part because of what I had available. At the time I could buy a reamer and make the steel fit what brass I could find quicker and easier than a lot of alternatives. Now there are more options available and the creed makes it easy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well all my posts on the subject were in SEpt. it is now late Nov. and I have a urge to build a custom 6.5 Creedmoor, why I don't know, just a change of heart I guess, and a need to please all on AR!!! Looking for a medium old L series Sako action..As much as I love the 250 Savage why wouldn't I like the 6.5 creedmore..

At almost 84 I have that option and forgiveness..it ain't the first time either! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
mmm I have an ADL 243...

Posts: 6385 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want one, buy/ build it. No one will care. It's your personal preference.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Fischer:
I think this whole Creedmore thing is so stupid. Next we need a 7mm CM and a 30 CM. Absolutely nothing of real value will change!

old Marketing has to come up with something NEW and GREAT so us gullible gun nuts will spend our money.
homer If they didn't everyone would own a number of 30-30s, 30/06s, 270s, and Ray would have a dozen 250-3000s

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5mm flavor of the month. Doesn't do a thing that hasn't been done by considerably older cartridges.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Doesn't do anything that my 6.5 Swed won't do better except...it's an ar platform cartridge.

Posts: 6385 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote