Find
Notify
Tools

257 Wby or 264Wmag
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
An FN magnum face action. 26" barrel. Focus US Plains game.

Question:
What to build? Must fit the normal length FN Magnum action!!

Choices:
257 Wby
264 Wmag
Other?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If you say other. Other what?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5 x 06

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
.264 Win Mag. Bullets from 87 grains to 160 grains. Longer barrel life (both are tough on barrels). Better shaped bullets = flatter trajectory.
I never understood why the .264 Win Mag never caught on while the .257 Weatherby has become a cult favorite.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all. Hope Santa brings you what you want!

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Must fit.magnum faced action. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Both?

Big Grin

Do you have either one now? How far is "long range" (to you)? I think what killed the 264 early on was bullet selection (in the US) and not enough slow burning powders to really make the cartridge sing. Seems to me the original factory bullets where heeled design, making it tough to replicate the advertised velocity with component bullets?

I have a 257 Wby, and I like it. I wouldn't mind a 264 Win either, better BC available if you're really going to get out there far.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have neither. Not my rifle. I offered him the action, I have 264 dies brass and bullets. But didn't tell him. Should be his choice.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
I voted other; 26 Nosler...

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5-300 Weatherby.

Go get 'em.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never owned a 264, but I'm sure that either of the above would be fine if you're talking about deer and antelope; if you throw in elk, maybe move to something like a 7MM of some kind. I've used a 25-06 and a 270 for deer for decades and have no fault with either. I've shot elk with both a 7 Rem Mag and a 338, with no apparent difference but all have been lung shots; if I was expecting to have to shoot at the rear end of an elk bouncing thru the woods I'd go for the 338. I've only shot 4 elk so that's not a lot of experience, but I live fairly close to Hollywood so that makes me an expert.

Another cartridge to consider would be a 270 short mag (WSM). I know that your magazine is longer than needed but there's nothing wrong with seating the bullet out a ways.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 274 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
6.5 300wby would be long for a 3.4 mag box. I do need to do some research on the 26Nosler

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I think he has a 338 just looking for a plains rifle

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .264 is the more practical of the two cartridges. First, it lacks the squirrely radiused shoulder of the Weatherby. And as has been mentioned, it offers a better range of bullets of game-hunting weight. And finally, it is slightly less "overbore" than the .257.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you truly can't make up your mind, I have a reamer for a 6.5 x .257 Weatherby. I agree it makes about no sense, but a guy wanted one and he bought the reamer. Shoots and works well, but with the .264 available the question is "why?" But you could be the first one on your block....Smiler Smiler

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
H47 I think I would pass on that one. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
That is a very tough choice I happen to love .257" caliber cartridges and have a strong affection for the .264"-6.5 variety too.
If the rifle is for US Plains game I assume that can only be Antelope, Mule Deer, Whitetails and maybe a coyote. If so nothing larger than the .257 Wby would ever be needed.
With 100 grain Mono metal bullets the rifle would shoot like a laser beam, even 110, 115 and 120's would be very flat shooting. If it were me I would stick with Mono metal, bonded or mantled (partition) bullets due to the speed.
I need to stop right here I'm about to talk myself into a new rifle.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dad bought a Mark V 257 Wby about 50 years ago and it is a very nice rifle for lighter game at long range. At the time .264 bullets were mainly designed for various 6.5mm cartridges and had neither the construction nor the BC for long range shots. For the last several years that situation has changed. There are now more bullets of high BCs and sturdy construction so that one can get all the benefits of a 257 Wby plus the options of heavier bullets for larger game. Fifty years ago the choice would have been 257 Wby, now the 264 is the pick.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
For myself I had built a 6.5Pdk. 6.5 Gibbs on steriods. Gave the rifle to a rancher in WTx. Loaned out the reamer and never got it back.
So for myself I've been trying to decide between 264 and getting a new reamer cut for my 6.5Pdk. Had the dies, brass etc for SEVERAL years. So I'm not quick to decide for myself will see how he does.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Do I smell a 25 PDK in the offing??

Paul what do you think case capacity would be or what is your 6.5PDK capacity.?

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Dave,
Normally the PDK was about twice the gain of an AI. I'm in MO at the daugthers so only have my phone no data. See if you can find info on the 6.5 Gibbs or 260Howell. Will be a touch bigher than Gibbs. Close to the Howell with a higher net due to shorter brass.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
I carried a .264 for about 15 years, and had a ball with it.
I did come to the conclusion, that because I couldn't get more of the Winchester two-step bullets, that the chamber, or at least the throat, would have to be changed.
If a new longer, chamber was used, the .257 wouldn't have a chance over the .264.
The .264 can use heavier, better BC'd bullets at GOOD velocity, and also do anything the .257 can do, better, with lighter bullets.
I haven't had a .264 for a while, but MAY get another. I've been using a 6.5/06 Improved for long-range targets lately, and am quite happy with it.
Have fun,
Gene

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have and really like both, but .270 Weatherby is the be all end all small bore.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a custom 257 WBY and have shot lots of antelope and deer with it. Unless you are getting into big stuff, like eland, I think this cartridge with 115 accubonds or similar premium bullet would work just fine.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a quarter bore nut, but since you're building it, I'd go with the 264 and specify a long throat.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The old 6,5 Schüler from 1939 might not be a bad choice after all. 69grain Norma MRP and a Nosler 125grain = 3300 ft/sec. Light recoil and flat shootin´..and no belt(I don´t mind belts though)

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Mauser 66! Very nice, and in a great caliber.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd do a 270 Weatherby. It has the flight characteristics of the 257 Wby, but can handle heavier bullet weights as need be.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I voted 264 WM because if you're going to use that much powder you might as well get the most out of it. I knew an old Lumberjack from Wyoming in the 70's who doubled as a hunting guide. His weapon of choice was a M-70 264 WM. He used it for everything from antelope to Elk. He calmly told me, "thats all you need".. Personally I think a 6.5/06 would be the bees knees.

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I'd do a 270 Weatherby. It has the flight characteristics of the 257 Wby, but can handle heavier bullet weights as need be.

The .270Wea is best. Used that caliber twice in Africa on plains game. No walks or crawls...just dead animals.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I voted .257 Wby on the strength on my Accumark with 6X24 Burris Signature that is magic on bean field Whitails. When I want a larger bullet that is still a Lazer I will pick up one of my four .270 WSM's. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2344 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Having owned both I would opt for the .264win. That said the 7mag make more sense than either.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
I assume from your first 2 choices,
That your plan is to reload for this rifle.

I voted other = 7RM

Personally, I wouldn't build a rifle in those calipers on a magnum bolt face action.
I'd keep the magnum action for a 338WM or larger bore.

I'd look hard at the 25-06, 6.5-06, 270W or 280AI line of cartridges
and try to match with a rifle built purposely for my hunting plans.

Might just pick that 6.5-06.
Think someone else mentioned that one specifically, too.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
264 Win Mag because I don't like Weatherby cartridges. Ain't a thing wrong with Weatherby ctgs. Ain't a thing wrong with Brussels Sprouts but I don't like them either.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
If you have a 7mm Mag, get the 257 WBY. If you don't have a 7mm Mag, get the 264 Win Mag.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Was just outside talking to the guy next door that wanted the new rifle. Said he had decided on a 264. HOWEVER, Santa (his wife) delivered a Vanguard MOA in 257 under the tree.

So he said since he loves his wife and that was the first firearm she had bought him. It looked like the 257 would be his new favorite toy.

That leave me still holding 264 dies and brass and back to my can't make a decision about a 264 or 6.5PDK. Roll Eyes I'll worry more about it next year. rotflmo

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My vote was for the 264WM out of the two choices. Since there is a better selection of high BC bullets for the 6.5 VS. the .257cal.

My younger brother has a Weatherby Mark V in 257 Weatherby. He likes it a lot and has used it for coyote and mule deer. He has taken it on Elk hunts but hasn't been able to be at the right place at the right time to shoot an Elk.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .264 WM is the practical choice, but I owned a 257 MKV with just the 24 inch barrel and loved it. I can't imagine what it would do in a longer tube with the new smaller 80 grain Barnes TTSX.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwheels:
The .264 WM is the practical choice, but I owned a 257 MKV with just the 24 inch barrel and loved it. I can't imagine what it would do in a longer tube with the new smaller 80 grain Barnes TTSX.

3950 fps with a swack of 7828, and that from 24" barrel. Breaking 4000
With the longer pipe shouldn't be much of a problem.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other: 7-300 Win , or 6.5-300 Win. My 7-300 will give my STWs a fair run for their money, with 180 Bergers heading out at 3150 fps. (27" Hart)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other: 7 Rem Mag.