THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    25-06....what is the advantage?....updated...updated again!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-06....what is the advantage?....updated...updated again!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well if he wants to use what 'everyone' in Wyoming uses he needs a 7mm rem. magnum.
by everyone I mean people that live in places like green river, or rocks spring, or douglas, Shoshone, or lander.
my 25-06 was looked down upon as a 'non magnum' or AKA not a 270 for the wife.

I got some sweet used rifles off the trade in racks for pretty good prices because of that.

Posts: 4964 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
I got some sweet used rifles off the trade in racks for pretty good prices because of that.

I like that Big Grin

I like the idea of a .25-06. Easy to load for. Pretty speedy. If I didn't already have a nice .257 Wby I would get one. You can never have too many firearms.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Inuit of the N0rth have gone modern, the have moved on to the big stuff, the 222 and 223!!! 458 says a store in the far North has or had at one time shelves of 25-35 factory special order solids for shooting seal..

BTW no update to this thread, it never changes,equel vs. equel and everything in between dominates the conversation!! balistic masterbation rules rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41783 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
My wife and I have taken around 60 Antelope over the years with a 25-06 mainly, and a 280 Rem. sometimes. Both are excellent at their work. She uses a 25-06 exclusively, and I’ve used it about 80% of the time.

While the 280 & 270 work wonderfully on Antelope, we have used our 25-06s mainly for the rifles we own. She and I both own Ruger Express rifles in this caliber. I believe there were only (6) of these rifles produced by Ruger in 25-06, (and never catalogued), (8) at the most, so we cherish our time hunting with them. I also use my Dakota Classic Deluxe in 25-06 a lot also. These rifles add a new pleasure to our Pronghorn hunts.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will bet that a good aftermarket barrel chambered in 25-06 would be a nice improvement from a Winchester factory tube.

I have rifles chambered in both cartridges and do not see much difference on medium sized game unless the 270 is using a heavier bullet (i.e. 150 grains).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
well if he wants to use what 'everyone' in Wyoming uses he needs a 7mm rem. magnum.
by everyone I mean people that live in places like green river, or rocks spring, or douglas, Shoshone, or lander.

Lamar: You’ve been watching too many Eastman hunting shows. Everyone in Wyoming shoots a 30-30 rotflmo

Posts: 2639 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot about equal numbers of deer with a 270 and 25-06 and have seen no difference in effectiveness. Most of these deer have been small; AZ whitetail and Columbian blacktail, but a few mulies thrown in.

Most significant difference to me is that most 270's have a 22" barrel and most 25-06's are 24. which affects the weight.

I've used a number of bullets in the 270 and have no complaints on any of them, and mostly use 115 Ballistic Tips in the 25.

Someone mentioned the 110 Barnes in the 270, I've not used them but my brother has had good luck with them.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 274 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
He should set it up with a 1-8 twist for his bullet.
https://bergerbullets.com/prod...-grain-elite-hunter/

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
A .25-06 is perfect for light to medium game when you might have to reach out to long range. I say go for it!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13353 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
I’ve used many cartridges over the years, mainly on deer. In my early years, one of my favorite rifles was a 700, in 25-06. I made the mistake of turning it into a 7 Mag, because I wanted to reach out a little further. What I got was a lot more recoil, and marginally flatter trajectory. In my mind, not worth the trade off. Loaded with 100 grain bullets, the 25-06 shoots flat enough for reasonable hunting range, and kicks little more than a 243. In my older age I prefer a .257 AI, on a self built Mauser. Of all my hunting buddies that aren’t really shooters, ALL have rifles that are far bigger than necessary to kill the critters we hunt. Most can’t shoot them for shit, as they flinch every time they pull the trigger. I just don’t get it.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I know where a monster buck or bull is hanging out then my 338 is probably going to be my choice as I want as much edge as I can get..BUt, if Im just hunting and pokeing around and enjoying the hunting, I will have a 30/30, a 25-35 Win, or my old and dear 250-3000 tD savage 99..I don't usually care about the caliber of my rifle, I just conform it its abilities and hunt to suit the gun..Same with bow, pistol or muzzle loader..
No flys on the 25-06 or the 270, and not any difference in the field other than the 270 has the supposed advantage of a 160 bullet, and I think thats corrrect in that its more effective out yonder...

My only real requirement for a deer or elk rifle, it must be loaded!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41783 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All any of us NEED is a 30/06, 12 ga and 22 rimfire.
The 25/06 is a great long range deer, antelope cartridge. I’ve owned one since 1974 and have enjoyed many successes with it.
Let the poor guy get a 25/06 if he wants one.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2630 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lord I hope I live to see the day that I can tell the difference in 8.4" and 9.2" at 400 yards!!Was that off hand or with a rest on a rock?

I guess I will just have to settle between 110 grs and 130 grs. for killing power at 400 also?

Damn some of you guys can split the proverbial and meaningless hair!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:

Lamar: You’ve been watching too many Eastman hunting shows. Everyone in Wyoming shoots a 30-30 rotflmo

And in Maine...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14347 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
25-06 works in a 25-06 is a pretty big advantage

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27591 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think everyone in the world has at least one 30-30, were talking about the second best gun!! rotflmo tu2

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Lord I hope I live to see the day that I can tell the difference in 8.4" and 9.2" at 400 yards!!Was that off hand or with a rest on a rock?

I guess I will just have to settle between 110 grs and 130 grs. for killing power at 400 also?

Damn some of you guys can split the proverbial and meaningless hair!! rotflmo

PLUS ONE! tu2

Years ago a guy I ran into was pushing his 7mm RM which is (in my opinion) no better than a .30-06 except it uses a little more powder and more expensive brass!

Hip

P.S. I own both! archer

Posts: 1802 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO the 7 mag, has little to offer balistically and I much prefer a 270 or more likely a 30-06..The 7 mag needs a 26 inch barrel to get where its what it claims, and its heavy, I worked with one or two and about all I gained was recoil and blast, my chronograph doesnt lie.. sofa

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

posted Hide Post
Better than the .257 WBY? Confused

All The Best … Wink

Posts: 22 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 July 2022Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.J.2:
Better than the .257 WBY? Confused

Define better.

Posts: 19333 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
I traded off my 25-06 and my 270 for a 257 Weatherby and a 270 Weatherby and have never looked back. IMO the 257 Weatherby is one of the finest 25 caliber rounds out there and I wish I had gotten one sooner. Recoil is not a problem. 270 Weatherby is in a BAR and is fun to shoot.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cowboy77845:
* * * IMO the 257 Weatherby is one of the finest 25 caliber rounds out there and I wish I had gotten one sooner. Recoil is not a problem.

Yeah, I agree. Further reach and greater down-range punch than a 25-06 and more accurate as well.

The 257 WBY cartridge was supposedly Roy’s favorite in the WBY line.

All The Best … Wink

Posts: 22 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 July 2022Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
257 Wby is a good caliber, but if one can tell the difference in it and a 270, he has been reading too many ballistic charts or hunting magazines..My main complaint about some of these guns and especially the Wbys is blood shot carcasses.

keep in mind that down range a 257 Wby is ballistically a 25-35 or a 25-20, and therein lies the weakness in small calibers and long range hunting..Just my opine..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the biggest problem with the 257 weatherby is nobody but weatherby makes one.
nobody makes ammo either.

if I could find a decent rifle[bergara/ruger/win.] for 800 bucks, Brass, and some 115gr. N/P's.
I'd own another one trick pony type rifle.

Posts: 4964 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Long range Antelope and deer rifles are a joke, one thing it causes more wounded animals..AND evertime I packed LR rifle around, I ended up shooting deer or antelope at under 100 yards, same for sheep and goats. These animals got a reputation for long range shots from gun magazines, not experienced hunter it seems to me..Hunters who hunt get close, shooters are long range guys..All at some time in there hunting life take poor shots at long distance and wound game, thats a given, so as one ages he gets closer and closer before the shot is taken..At least thats the way it should work out..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Long range Antelope and deer rifles are a joke, one thing it causes more wounded animals..AND evertime I packed LR rifle around, I ended up shooting deer or antelope at under 100 yards, same for sheep and goats.

Having the capability to make a longer range shot is nice. I carry my 300WM because I can. I have many different calibers that would work.

The longest shot I took out west at a big game animal was 312 yards results dead elk. The closest was 25 or so results dead mule deer.

I was going to shoot a mule deer last year at 412. But the early morning sun flare made taking the shot impossible.

There are many factors one has to take into consideration.

When it is time to shoot. The effect on the bullet by them is often reduce the closer you are to the target.

Know you abilities and your limits and hunt within them.

Posts: 19333 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
KW, I'd call that a perfect ending.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16325 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well dang...I went back to edit my post for grammar and accidentally deleted whole thing!

killpc

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
having killed deer and elk and with a 25-35 and 250-3000 Id be shank Haultered and Gilflurted to discourage their use and like the 270 and 30-06 they all worked well enough.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120