THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    25-06....what is the advantage?....updated...updated again!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-06....what is the advantage?....updated...updated again!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A good friend said to me a few days ago... "Hey, I've got a post 64' push feed model 70. I want to swap the 270 barrel for a 25-06". I asked why? He said... "for a purpose built Antalope rifle on my first western hunt".

Now I am not personally familiar with the 25-06. It's a great round on paper... Does it really offer anything over the 270? I should probably just humor my friend and help him with his desire. But for my own curiosity, what would you folks say the 25-06 brings to the table over a 270?

As always, I appreciate the input of this forum.

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your friend might need an intervention or cog eval. But if beyond help, this might cure his obsession. No dog in this fight but a nice rifle that needs a good home.
http://www.jschaferstockmaker....telopeRifleIndex.php

Posts: 1122 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh that's a nice rifle for sure. I question the 22" barrel for the 25-06 cartridge, but still a classy single shot!

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell just to load some lighter bullets in his 270/

but that most likely well not help his problem.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It could be 18" and the antelope would'nt know the difference.

Posts: 1122 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep the 270 Win...load some Barnes 110 grain TTSX at 3400 fps+ I can't imagine a better antelope load.

Posts: 223 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the .25-06.

It’s a lighter bullet going faster. Less recoil, longer PBR.

It’s definitely not as general purpose a cartridge as the .270, but for antelope and deer, it works fine.

No reason the .270 won’t work fine, but if the guy wants a .25-06, he needs a .25-06.

I don’t get the argument here?

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had both, but now of the two I just own the 270Win, and there you have my take on the two cartridges. If one can't shoot a Pronghorn with a 270 I would guess a high probability of not hitting one with the quarter bore. Just my 2cents

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1186 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cannot think of a thing the 25-06 does that a .270 won
't do better.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does he NEED a 25-06 over using a 270? NO.
But, YES, if that's what he WANTS.

Life would be boring if we bought one rifle chambered in a fine cartridge and that's all we ever did.

Good hell, let the guy build a 25-06!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
't do better.

What?

This from a guy who champions the .223 as a deer rifle?

Why is a .223 better than a larger bore, but a .25 isn’t better than a larger bore?

Could you expand on this?

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Tell him load the 85 grain TSX. Them little buggers might be speedy, but they won't be outrunning 3800+ FPS, not even with a head start.

Posts: 958 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one and I like it, kinda like a big 243. Its only advantage over a 270 is less recoil, and I don't own a 270. I should fix that.

Posts: 422 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot at least a dozen pronghorn with my .25-06, plus mule deer and coyotes. A couple of friends used this rifle to kill cow elk, both with a single shot. I mostly use the 115 gr. Nosler partition. If I were building a rifle specifically for pronghorns, it would be a .25-06. It is not magic - a .270 or 7mm Rem. or anything else in that range works just as well. If he wants a .25-06, that is what he should buy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He may as well step it up to the 25-06 ackley improved. I can see the appeal. Something different, new barrel so accuracy should be an improvement, and perhaps the 25-06/qtr bore IS the perfect antelope rifle...

Posts: 370 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot my first antelope with a 25-06 shooting 100gr ballistic tip noslers at a lasered range of 494 yards. I shot my second antelope with a 25-06 Ack with a 100gr Sierra Pro Hunter bullet at a range of 250 yards. Both went down on impact. I don't own a 270 Win.

Posts: 885 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used my Remington Sendero in 25-06 with a 100gr Barnes XLC to kill my first Antelope. Worked like a champ and he only took a couple of steps then fell over. I've used it to kill Mule Deer and Elk with factory Remington Extended Range ammo. All one shot kills. Rifle is heavy but laser accurate.

The second Antelope I killed was with a 7MM mag because I had pulled the scope off of my 25-06 and put it on another rifle. I didn't have time to put it back on and work up a load prior to the hunt.

I now have a 270 Win featherweight with the 22" barrel. I didn't buy the 25-06 because of the same 22" barrel. I just feel the 25-06 needs more barrel to get the necessary velocities. I could be wrong but that's my thought anyways.

Someone suggested the 110gr TTSX bullet from the 270Win. On my ballistic program it shows it as the flattest shooting factory offering. It would be a good bullet for a Pronghorn.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
't do better.

What?

This from a guy who champions the .223 as a deer rifle?

Why is a .223 better than a larger bore, but a .25 isn’t better than a larger bore?

Could you expand on this?

To begin with, I champion the .222 and .223 as a deer rifle for YOUTH. My experience has been that a larger bore would not kill them any deader than they do. The 25-06 using a 120 grain bullet and the .270 using a 130 grain would have about the same recoil. Yes, the youth that hunt with me do use .222 and .223, I personally use my .243. Will say the last time I hunted, I did in fact carry my.223 but didn't get a shot.

My experience with youth has been let them shoot it a few times, and because of the mild recoil they can comfortably shoot it and if they can hit a basketball they can hit the kill zone. Most can hit golf balls--those young eyes.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my 25-06's.
but after shooting stuff [you know deer and antelope]with one for 10+ years I finally could see why people sorta like the 270.
I'm not gonna buy one unless I need to build another rifle of some sort, but I can kind of see the appeal.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started out with the 7mm magnum for antelope, ended up some time later with 85-grain 6mm-284. Same trajectory, more or less...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14332 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have taken around 60 Antelope over the years with a 25-06 mainly, and a 280 Rem. sometimes. Both are excellent at their work. She uses a 25-06 exclusively, and I’ve used it about 80% of the time.

While the 280 & 270 work wonderfully on Antelope, we have used our 25-06s mainly for the rifles we own. She and I both own Ruger Express rifles in this caliber. I believe there were only (6) of these rifles produced by Ruger in 25-06, (and never catalogued), (8) at the most, so we cherish our time hunting with them. I also use my Dakota Classic Deluxe in 25-05 a lot also. These rifles add a new pleasure to our Pronghorn hunts.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of Crazy 8
posted Hide Post
If he does re barrel it go for a faster twist and put the 6.5 crdmr to shame with the longer high bc bullets

Posts: 9 | Location: Cleveland ohio  | Registered: 10 January 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting deer with my 25-06 for at least 50 years, soon after Rem took it out of the wildcat category and have used my 270 for nearly as long. Both have done great on deer, mostly OR blacktails and AZ whitetails, and seem totally interchangeable on deer.

However, if I only had a .270 and was happy with it I wouldn't see any point in changing it into a 25-06.

This wouldn't affect you, but most factory .270's come with a 22" barrel and most 25-06's have a 24, if that matters.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 274 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazy 8:
If he does re barrel it go for a faster twist and put the 6.5 crdmr to shame with the longer high bc bullets

This^^^^^^^^

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
…I asked why? He said... "for a purpose built Antalope rifle on my first western hunt"…

The new guy in the city walks into the LGS and asks where he can get the best steak dinner in town. The old codger sitting by the pot bellied stove tells him that he should order chicken instead. Then the clerk says that he likes seafood best. The new guy shakes his head, walks over to the nearby Walmart where they tell him the best steaks are served at the diner across the street.

OP, tell your friend to order the highest quality barrel he can afford and have a good ‘smith install it. He will have the special rifle he wants and it will do just what he needs it to do.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDSpink:
Keep the 270 Win...load some Barnes 110 grain TTSX at 3400 fps+ I can't imagine a better antelope load.

I took my last antelope buck at 440 yards with a load just like that. I don't need anything flatter than that.

My 270 Win is chambered in a Ruger No. 1 with a 24" barrel.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
He could just practice a few more hours to get used to the trajectory of the lighter 270 bullet and be ahead money wise. If money is not such a big deal, he could just sell the 270 and buy a 25-06. If he wants to just spend money, keep both. I like the single shot 25-06 idea. Just make sure the twist is fast enough for the high BC 131 grain ACE bullet that is capable of reaching out far. That and at least a 26” barrel.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
The advantage is a 1/4 bore with lets say a 120 gn slug vs a 130 gn 270 will have a "slightly" flatter trajectory and the 120 grainer will have a higher SD.

If it were my friend I would suggest he just look for a 1/4 bore to buy and keep (or sell) the 270.

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own both a .25-06 and a .270 in identical Sakos, both with 24.4" barrels. The .270 shoots a 130 grain Nosler Partition (B.C. .416) at 3200 fps (yes, it is a "fast barrel", but not extraordinary for the .270). The .25-06 shoots a 115 grain Nosler Partition (B.C. .389) at 3130 fps.

Obviously, the .270 has the advantage in both energy and trajectory with these loads, which are optimal in each of these individual rifles.

Of course, individual rifles vary, and some .25-06 rifle and load might perform better than some .270 rifle and load. But the difference between the two cartridges for hunting antelope is neither significant nor predictable.

What IS important is the accuracy. Whether you take a .270 or a .25-06 (or a .280, .30-06 ad infinitum) to the field for antelope, deer, or whatever medium game, the accuracy and dependability of the rifle are much more important than its caliber.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have both as well. Prefer the 270. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I sold my 25-06 several years ago but kept my dies + components of course. My friend in Omaha called me in mid December telling me that a nephew's Dad had bought him a 25-06 for Christmas but there was no ammo available anywhere. So I loaded him a box + express shipped so the kid got it the day before Christmas. I'm sure it made his day.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I quit reloading the few rounds that I messed with years ago, as I wasn't shooting much at all from a really bad shoulder. Without reloading I'll take the .270 in any dispute since ammo is off the shelf at Wal-Fart & not too pricey either.

Posts: 15805 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats right. You can't kill what you can't hit.

quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I own both a .25-06 and a .270 in identical Sakos, both with 24.4" barrels. The .270 shoots a 130 grain Nosler Partition (B.C. .416) at 3200 fps (yes, it is a "fast barrel", but not extraordinary for the .270). The .25-06 shoots a 115 grain Nosler Partition (B.C. .389) at 3130 fps.

Obviously, the .270 has the advantage in both energy and trajectory with these loads, which are optimal in each of these individual rifles.

Of course, individual rifles vary, and some .25-06 rifle and load might perform better than some .270 rifle and load. But the difference between the two cartridges for hunting antelope is neither significant nor predictable.

What IS important is the accuracy. Whether you take a .270 or a .25-06 (or a .280, .30-06 ad infinitum) to the field for antelope, deer, or whatever medium game, the accuracy and dependability of the rifle are much more important than its caliber.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 110 gr. 270 bullet does not compare to a 130 or 160 gr. 270 bullet at those far distant ridiculas ranges, common knowledge knows the 110 gr. loses its velocity in a hurry..

Another comparison of calibers when most in the 270 catagory are all but equall in most respects but with minor changes that may or may not mean a thing, to anyone but the owner...

I think the 25-06 is an awesome caliber suitable for most anything short of brown bear, but so is the 270..

Its the shooters choice, there is no right or wrong of better or worse, it boils down to choice based on not much..Were I a deer and varmint hunter Id choose a 25-06, if I intended to hunt deer and elk Id go with the .270,

Id say no NO ADVANTAGE, but a damn good option..

In the real world I went with the 30-06 as the best of all... faint

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A 110 gr. 270 bullet does not compare to a 130 or 160 gr. 270 bullet at those far distant ridiculas ranges, common knowledge knows the 110 gr. loses its velocity in a hurry...

It depends on the particular 110-grain bullet. The Nosler Accubond (and the Barnes TTSX bullet for that matter) has a G1 ballistic coefficient of .37 compared to conventional Speer and Hornady 130-grain bullets which have BCs around .410. Note that considering the higher velocities of the 110s their trajectories out to 400 yards would be very similar to the 130s (see below). FWIW, when I hunted with a .270 I used Hornady 130 Interlocks, but never out to 400 yards. Today I use a .257 Weatherby if I need long range.

110 Nosler @ 3400 fps - 400 yard drop = 8.4” - 400 yard fps/fpe = 2444/1459
130 Hornady @ 3200 fps - 400 yard drop = 9.2” - 400 yard fps/fpe = 2366/1366

All calculations perforned with the online Hornady Ballistics Calculator.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
A 110 gr. 270 bullet does not compare to a 130 or 160 gr. 270 bullet at those far distant ridiculas ranges, common knowledge knows the 110 gr. loses its velocity in a hurry..

Another comparison of calibers when most in the 270 catagory are all but equall in most respects but with minor changes that may or may not mean a thing, to anyone but the owner...

I think the 25-06 is an awesome caliber suitable for most anything short of brown bear, but so is the 270..

Its the shooters choice, there is no right or wrong of better or worse, it boils down to choice based on not much..Were I a deer and varmint hunter Id choose a 25-06, if I intended to hunt deer and elk Id go with the .270,

In the real world I went with the 30-06 as the best of all... faint

I agree with Ray on this....well....everything except the '06 being the best of both worlds. I don't use one. Never have and never will at my tender age of 68.

No question about it. They are both great rounds and ALMOST the same but like Ray said, two bit bore for deer, antelope and maybe a yote and the 270 for deer and elk. IMHO

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Locals" and "guides" may know their quarry pretty well and how to hunt it, but very few of them know beans about cartridges and ballistics; they just know that what they use works.

Years ago I hunted elk on an Indian reservation with Indian guides. They all used .22-250's as their elk rifles and took their quota every year. When I showed them a cartridge for my .338 they had no concept of its size or power and continued to advise me to simply shoot the elk in the head. Similarly, I have been informed that a favorite caliber among the Inuit and other natives of the far north is the .22 Hornet. Nothing from caribou to moose to beluga whales lives long after a head shot from a Hornet.

Those of us who fret over a half-inch of trajectory difference at 300 yards or a hundred foot-pounds of energy do so largely as parlor games. The fact is that if you hit a 100 pound animal in the vitals with almost any projectile from a centerfire rifle cartridge it is going to be "reduced to possession".

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A quick update to my original post...

Our original exchange was by text, so the info was vague. I had a phone conversation with my friend yesterday and got a few more details. Apparently he talked to several different places about an Antelope Hunt and settled on the guy he liked the best. I have no experience western Hunting... so the difference between "Outfitter" and "Ranch" and "Guide Service" are a total mystery to me.

Anyways, more than one of the guys he talked to said something sorta like this: "Deer guys from the East bring there 308 or 30-06 and that works just fine. But all us out here use a 243 or 25-06".

So my friend decided he wanted to us what the "Locals" use. Simple as that. Plus he likes the novelty of something new. So there you go.

We've been friends for years, and he is a bit older than me. So I respectfully said bring me the new barrel and I'll swap it on for you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a big difference between need and want. It sounds like the OP’s friend is checking both boxes, good for him!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He probably has read or seen something that has his interest in a 25-06. I have personally always liked the 25-06 myself.
If he is a reloader he might take a look at the 6.5-06. There is a lot of good bullet choices in that caliber.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote