THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Christensen Arms Mesa in 6.5PRC

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christensen Arms Mesa in 6.5PRC
 Login/Join

posted
Since everyone seems to think the Sauer 100 in PRC i was considering is ugly as a mud fence and i am starting to think the same how about this one for the same money https://www.eurooptic.com/Chri...c2018&utm_medium=rbh

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ugly too.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Mesa on the way in the 6.5 PRC. It is the tungsten finish and the sporter not the long range. I have not owned a Christensen before and have heard mixed reviews. It seems they have overcome some of there early days accuracy issues, and the Mesa seems to be put together with solid components. I will see in a week or so how the components were put together. I am guessing it will be very similar to the 6.5x284 or 06, but I am curious to see more about the rifle than the cartridge. My dies and cases are waiting for pick-up tomorrow.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please post up accuracy, and velocity results.
How's the recoil? Everyone I have talked to so far, was impressed with how low the recoil was.

Posts: 117 | Location: Augusta, West Virginia | Registered: 30 August 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle showed up yesterday. I have not shot it yet, but did clean it to get ready to mount my scope (4.5-14x40LR VX-3 Leupold). I am a little worried. There was copper forever in this barrel. Actually never seen anything like it and Christensen had cleaned it - There was not one bit of powder residue. Me thinks barrel break-in is going to be a long process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one question, was this a new rifle that had much copper in the barrel. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brand Spankin New.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the barrel had lots of copper the factory fired it many times. I would get an explanation from them about that. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I could not resist the sun and 20 degrees above zero today so I set up the range with snow shoes this afternoon and pulled the trigger. Pretty impressive rifle. No chrono, but very consistent. The brake is very effective and pleasant. I was shooting the Match white box and It looks like after barrel break-in this is going to be a one wide hole load for as many rounds as you want to shoot. Also, as odd as the stock felt to me in my hands at first, very rock solid in shoulder, fitting my face perfectly. Ultra rock solid prone position just off the bi-pod. I think I love this gun. It did pull copper pretty good yet, but that should mean better consistency yet to come as things smooth out. Hopefully it doesn't take 200 rounds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have gotten the barrel pretty well broken in. Not as bad as I thought it would be. It will still get better, but the rough is pretty well off her. The factory 147s are phenomenal out of this gun. It will stay inside an inch at 100 for 10 shots with ease. Very close to published velocity and very consistent. I will be looking to start development with the 130 Grain Berger VLD Hunt, 130 Sierra Game Changer, and 130 grain Nosler Accubonds. I already feel like this Mesa Rifle is a very good value.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally got started with load work after getting a couple hundred new brass. Working with the 130 grain Sierra HPBT Gameking. I can't get my hands on RL26 so I am starting with RL22. Went with 53.0 grains to start and ran in .5 grain increments up to 55 grains. I shot yesterday in about 80 degree sun. I had absolutely zero pressure signs at 55 grains. No extractor marks, flat primers, or heavy bolt lift. This is with new first load brass. I will maybe go to 60 grains from here with 1/4 grain increases just to see if I can find the top or the beginning of the top. Accuracy was great throughout the test with the best groups at 53.0 and 54.5 grains with groups at .6" at 110 yards. The other loads were up to 1.1" but I was in a bit of a hurry and the other 3 loads had a flier in each. The intent is load Gamechangers next and build an accuracy load and then chrono. The same with 130 Berger VLD H and Nosler 140 Partitions. We'll see what the chrono says, but it looks like Reloader 22 is going to be a very effective powder, at least with these lighter bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So getting ready foe antelope in a month. I have still not found close to max with RL22 and 130 grain bullets yet. I am getting 3195 with 55.5 grains and the 130 VLDH and 3225 with the same 55.5 and the Sierra Gamechanger. 54.5 is giving me 3088 with the 130 Nosler Accubond. All of these with this Christenson Mesa are in the .4 to .6 MOA range with the Bergers really shooting well. A fantastic rifle, at least my example.